X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joelp
    • Nov 2004

I ordered my 705s today

Well, I'm one step closer to completing my setup today, as I ordered a pair of 705s for my left and right mains. I auditioned them twice and boy do they sound sweet, they’re going to be in a small enough room that they sound great, and when paired with a nice sub should do well for movies!

Incidentally, which sub would you go for? People live above and below me and it's a my apartment living room is carpeted (22' x 12'). I was thinking about the ASW675.

Cheers!
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

if you must go b&w at least the 700 then.

Comment

• RACER4551
      • Apr 2004

I own a asw 675 and was very scheptical when i first thought about buying it.i own a svspb2+ and wanted something to fill in a little better with music,dont get me wrong the svs is a super sub but just seems artificial with some music.So i decided to demo one at home and was very impressed,so impressed that i bought it.It blends great with the svs and has plenty of clean power.It also disappears and blends in perfect with my 703's.It also has 500 watts and is very heavy for a sub of its size.I say buy it if you listen to a lot of music,but if your looking for something that goes really deep,you can do better.Just my two cents.........

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

Hey Racer4551, I just sold my PB12plus/2 which I believe is the new name for the PB2+. The reason I sold it is because I'm moving to a new place and my whole entire setup will be in the bedroom instead of the living room of my current place. So, now I'm back in the hunt again for a good sub with smaller foot print. You think the ASW675 is worth the money for a 50/50 music/movies setup? What would you recommend, if not the 675? I've looked at the HSU's VTF3, found one on Audiogon, but not too sure about buying from a brand new member with no feedback there. Seen quite a few Velodyne DD's also, but they're so much more expensive compared to the SVSs.

Comment

• bcgator
          • Nov 2004

JoelP,

I don't think you'd be nuts to start with the ASW600 sub from B&W. I'm in a small apartment, just about the same dimensions as yours. And while many would consider it sacrilege, I paired the ASW600 with a pair of the $3500 B&W 805 Signatures, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I needed to fit the sub into a modular entertainment center, and the ASW600 fit my space - it was just a great bonus that it sounds so good too.

It took some time to get it dialed in correctly, so that the sound was properly calibrated to the sound of the 805 Signatures, but now it blends so well that the sub disappears in the room as if the 805's are producing all the bass. And, of course, it's more than enough for home theater.

Again, though, I'm in a fairly small-medium sized space. Someone in a larger living room would probably want something larger than the ASW600.

With people above and below you, it would be easy to buy something too big for your space and find out you can't really use it. So maybe it's not so bad to start small and see if maybe you can save some money and still meet your music/HT needs.

BCGator

Comment

• mariachi
            • Aug 2003

What are you using for center and surrounds? If I may ask..

-Vic

Comment

• JCL
              • Apr 2005

Try REL it's great! I have heard B&W + REL (602 + Strata II) and it is a fantastic combo, what a power. COuld try SVS as well, there not for music thought (not as good as REL and B&W).

Comment

• RACER4551
                • Apr 2004

BlazeMaster...The asw675 would work just great for your new room setup,i first heard one in a setup that was in a smaller room and it had all the guts and sound quality you would ever want.Its also a sealed sub not ported but goes down to 25htz no problem.Havent really listened to any hsu's or velo's to compare so i'm not much help there, but i do think the 675 is a sleeping giant for the money and really pairs up nice with b&w 600 and 700 series speakers.

Comment

• Bandwagoner
                  • Oct 2004

Congratulatons.

Did you get yours at Hifi Centre? I have a pair of 705s in Rosenut thats 6months old and would like to trade them in for a whole new 7.1 setup. At the time of purchase, salesperson said i can buy a single 705 as center and today he denied making that claim. Anyone know if B&W just changed the rules for selling single speakers? Apologize in advance, cant remember if im breaking the forum rules but i have 5 B&W speakers for sale. All in good shape.

Anyways im looking at 3 matching fronts and 4 matching dipole/monopole switchable surrounds. Ive looked into M&K, Snell, Boston Acoustics and of course B&W. But all suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
                  jer

Comment

• Joelp
                    • Nov 2004

Thanks for all the responses guys,

Mariachi, I have LCR60S3 for my centre and a pair of Royd Sintras for my rears.

I have a crappy little sub right now and leave it off most of the time in consideration of the neighbors, I really just want a nice sub to fill in the low end, no crazy or bloated bass for me thank you very much.
                    I think the 600 series will be fine, maybe even a REL 150 it's gonna be pretty low most of the time.

Comment

• herotongtong
                      • Apr 2005

700 series good for AV ...sounds way too bright ..but not good for pure high-end listening .good luck !!

Comment

• Patt
                        • Feb 2005

Joel.....

Thats excellent Dude!....New speakers and B&W on top of that. :T
                        ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"