X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SwainDtV
    • Sep 2008

Issues regarding SSP-800 sub output

Hi,

I’m posting this in HTGuide and AVS forum.

I have a Velodyne powered sub connected to my SSP-800 with XRL cable. When I press mute or when a digital input (HDMI/coax) is interrupted e.g. movie pause, transition between menu and movie, I get one or more thumps from my sub. I switched cables from XLR to RCA, switched subs from Velodyne to Martin Logan with no change. Sub is always on and auto on/off feature is disabled.

At higher volumes (50+), with no media playing, I get noise in my SSP-800 sub output, which I can only say, sounds like white noise (no hum, no buzz). At volume 65 (my favorite level for movies) the noise is audible in my listening position. There is no ground loop. There are no cell phones, chargers or PC electronics in near vicinity. I tried different configurations. All digital inputs with sub enabled generate noise in sub output. With analog inputs en digital inputs with sub disabled sub output is dead silent.

With no media playing turning the volume knob up/down rapidly, I hear a rattle of short clicking noises from my sub. The rattle corresponds with every 0.5dB increase/decrease.

Volume of thumps, rattle and noise changes when increasing/decreasing the master volume.

Some other observations:
    Oppo BD player (HDMI input) in standby (no noise from sub)
    Oppo BD player (HDMI input) on (noise from sub)
    Lexicon DVD player (coax input) off, (noise from sub)
    Lexicon DVD player (coax input) on, (noise from sub)

As a final test I connected the XLR SSP-800 sub output to my CA-5200 center input. Both center and sub have the same speaker levels (0dB). At volume 60+ the center channel activated the protection mode (blinking red light). Just before going into protection I noticed that noise and rattle from the sub output were present.

What is causing thumps, rattle and noise in my SSP-800 sub output?

I told my dealer, but he has no idea.

SSP-800 firmware 202.
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

hi,

this always or with only with few bluray, dvd,cd...?

The red protection will be do to a DC output = too much LF !

I send you a soft per mail...you can check the ca5200 and go see what is really happen....

Is the same problem present with the MartinLogan sub before the changing for a Velodyne or?

style

Comment

• SwainDtV
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by style
      this always or with only with few bluray, dvd,cd...?
      Noise from my sub output is constant. Best audible when no media is playing. Thumps are only audible when the digital signal is interrupted. E.g. mute button.
      The red protection will be do to a DC output = too much LF !
      That could be the problem for the protection kicking in. I have not experienced any DC problems (yet) in normal use.
      Is the same problem present with the MartinLogan sub before the changing for a Velodyne or?
      Problem is the same. The noise is in the sub woofer signal. So are the thumps and rattle.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"