newbie question - new receiver or video switcher?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zgeist
    • Oct 2003

newbie question - new receiver or video switcher?

First, I'm new to this HT thing - I *have* read lots of posts, but I'm still confused - so I thought I just ask. Second, I'm posting this in Club Rotel because one of the options I'm considering is the RSX-1055...

Basically, I'm getting a plasma tv and I'm trying to figure out how best to hook up everything I've got - 1) 'upgrade' my stereo receiver to a home theater receiver or 2) just get a video switcher. My main concerns are getting the best video from the new plasma, and getting the best sound from music cds (for the husband). I don't actually care that much about surround sound - and we currently only have two speakers - but I could try it out in the future.

Do you get better video if you don't go through a receiver but instead go straight to the tv? If you send video to the tv, and audio to the reciever, do you ever get out-of-sync problems? Is going through a video switcher any worse or the same as a receiver (specifically the RSX-1055 which is probably what I'd get)? I've read that you should use analog out if you want to use a devices internal DAC. So why did they bother putting a digital out on my Myryad T-10 cd player???

Basically I'm really confused and I'm hoping someone here will be kind enough to help! Here's my list o' gear:

Rotel RX-975 stereo receiver (which my husband and I love - he is somewhat reluctant to change our receiver - he's used to the one we have!) (only analog ins and outs)
    Myryad T-10 Cd player (analog and digital out)
    Pioneer DVD player DV-353 (component, S-video, composite video out; optical or analog audio out)
    Philips Standalone Tivo (S-Video out, analog audio)
    Playstation 2 (S-video - although I've heard you can upgrade this??)
    old VCR (composite)

I'm waiting for the HD-Tivo before I care about anything HD - I don't have cable or satellite, but if I had an antenna I could get HD over the air.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I really appreciate all the info that I've found in these forums!

Tonya
  • Frank T.
    • Oct 2003

Are you REALLY sure you want to do this: Buy a Plasma TV ?!

I am aware that's currently matching the "Zeitgeist" (i.e. spirit of the current era) but I wish that every Plasma customer here in Berlin would stop by at my facility, evaluate the quality of video front projection at the SAME price level and abandon any plasma purchasing ideas - The price-performance relation usually disfavors any plasma purchase.

In some cases, however, any stand-alone watching means under daylight conditions might require a different solution:

Check out the latest model line of the Philips Cineos LCoS rear projection TV or the Toshiba latest rear projection TV with full HDTV resolution - if your big screen TV does not support at least a 16:9 HDTV resolution of 1280 x 720 you might regret it next year - expect the first consumer HDTV-discs already in 2004.

Input-wise (now that was your main question) you have to make sure - if you want to switch video signals to your big screen TV / front projector - that you can swich / distribute
    - progressive and/or HDTV component signals (red, green and blue RCA connector) and that the Rotel of your choice supports these, respectively their higher frequencies (opposite to non-progressive component signals you'll find on almost any decent DVD player).

To maintain compatibility with future, true digital video transmission via DVI-HDCP (monitor has to have an authorized HDCP input!!!) or (very few models available) its little 'brother' HDMI is an must-have-this-kind-of-input for the display device of your final choice.

However, those switchers have not yet been realized / implemented in the current generation of AV-components (see my wish list "1.1" for the RSP-1098 on this message board).

Hope that gets you already one step ahead.

Frank T.
    Frank T.

Comment

• ejfiii
      • May 2003

No offense but there is absolutly nothing wrong with plasma sets. Sure a front PJ would be nice in my house too, but check out my pics and try to convince my wife of the ugly blackout shades that would be required so she could watch soap operas while the baby sleeps. Come on.

As for the question, you can not plan for distant future technologies, but you can for near future technologies. To get the best pic on the plasma you will want to use component cables from your DVD player to the plasma. No switcher required. Your other picture sources can also connect directly to the plasma.

But I feel its a crime not to enjoy nice HT sound. 5.1 or 7.1 is amazing and I can't imagine going back to pre surround sound. Hell, throw some cheap speakers on the wall next to your couch just to get a taste of it. Especially if you are going to buy the 1055. And don't forget the importance of a good center channel.

Once you go surround, you wont ever go back. Even my wife agrees and she hates this hobby.

Good luck,

E. J.

My HT
      My HT

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Tonya welcome to the forum:T

I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can though I might forget one or two

The Rotel 1055 is a fine receiver and would very likely sound as good or better then your old unit so I wouldln't worry to much about it from a sound perspective. Combine that with the video switching and its surround decoding and its a good investment.

Essentially you have two options here in that you can either plug all the video devices into the receiver and let it do the video switching or plug them directly into the TV. The video quality on modern day receivers is usually good enough that you won't notice any difference if you run the video though them vs direct to the TV and using the receiver means it will be easier to switch sources. Note however that the 1055 will not convert one video type into another meaning that plugging in an s-video device as well as a component device will meant that while your receiver is on the s-video input it will send out the s-video signal from its s-video monitor out to the TV. This means that you'll need to then switch the TV to the s-video input. Switching between s-video inputs on the Rotel though will mean you will then not have to switch the TV at all unitl you select a component device...it sounds more complex then it really is. The Rotel 1098 can convert all the signals to component so you don't ever need to change the TV's input but its significantly more expensive.

Speaking of your devices...the reason there's a digital out on your CD player is that some receivers or pre amp's have better DAC's onboard then what's in your CD player in which case you'd want to use the digital connection. Some also connect an external DAC to these digital outputs but in your case the Myrad very likely will sound better then the 1055's internal DAC's so I'd recomend leaving it connected with analog cables.
        For your Playstation 2 you can purchase a component adapter for it that will allow you to use that connection type which from my experience greatly improves the video quality of the games on larger screens.

I would strongly suggest you look at buying a new DVD player though as the one you currently own does not do progessive scan which you'll find on virtually all modern DVD players. The advantage progressive scan offers is that your picture quality will be much smoother with a progressive image then an interlaced image and all plasma TV's can handle the progressive image format. Read this if you want to learn more about progressive scan.

As for the plasma itself I will agree with Frank that there are alternatives that might be cheaper and offer a larger image using a projector but each has its advantages and drawbacks. We can discuss that in a more approp. thread if you wish.

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Regardless of your TV choice, a new Rotel receiver can handle video routing without difficulty, AND perform superbly for music... its internal DACs are very good, and likely sound different than the Myriad's (not necessarily better or worse)... the connections are there for you to have a choice either way.

Don't hestitate to install a surround speaker setup with a sub; you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

Unless you have many video sources, I'd recommend connecting them all directly to the TV, and with that in mind, make connectivity a priority in your choice of TV... syncing should not be a problem, though it occasionally can be, depending on specific setups (esp ones with projectors)... Frank T's post above is good to consider as well... be clear on what you want your new TV to be capable of.

But the short answer to your question is: yes -- the 1055 will make an excellent control center for your HT upgrade.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• zgeist
            • Oct 2003

I want to thank all of you for you VERY helpful replies! Most of my questions have been answered and several new options have been presented. Thanks very much!

Tonya

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

That's what we're here for Tonya Feel free to ask anything you can think of no matter how simple you feel it is. We try our best to help anyone no matter what the gear or what the question is.

Comment

• Sickman
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by gd
                Regardless of your TV choice, a new Rotel receiver can handle video routing without difficulty, AND perform superbly for music
                Yeah, just not at the same time. :x See issue #2 on this thread: http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"