X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikko
    • Mar 2005

Region free RDV-1050

Hi!

Just got a brand new RDV-1050 and to my astonishment and disappointment it seems that it is not possible to get a region hack for it. That possibility has been available for each and every DVD player I have ever had so is that really the case? If so, is that some kind of a sick Rotel feature or what's the problem?

:evil: Mikko
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

Most Rotel players are region free out of the box as far as I know. My 1060 was anyway. Have you tried a disc from another region?
    Dave

Comment

• Mikko
      • Mar 2005

Hiya!

Got to admit that when I got over the first schock, I actually tried a region 1 disk (I'm from Finland so "my" region is 2) and it worked! ops:

So it seems that all the warnings and stickers claiming that my device is region 2 only are just smokescreen? Also all the region hack forums on the net claim that there are no hacks for Rotel DVD players, which is quite misleading.

Anyway, great it my beeeeeautiful 1050 is region free by default,

Mikko

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Is it really "legal" for them to do that? Well I guess so if they are doing it, but it surprises me a bit.

BTW, isn't it funny how we find ourselfs "technical problems" browsing the net instead of just trying things like most people would do, just to find out that everything is fine... it happens to me all the time

Comment

• fordster
          • Feb 2005

I always thought it was illegal but I think it's more of an agreement between manufacturers and studios. Originally all Japanese players could only be made multiregion by being chipped as they had an agreement with the Hollywood studios. However, DVD players made in China and Korea could be done by remote control. I don't know where Rotel make their players and what (if any) agreements they've signed with the studios. At the end of the day, every player is made as a multiregion player (as it's the same player shipped to different countries) and then amended to whichever region so I guess Rotel jsut don't bother with the last stage.

You'd think Hollywood would have given up on the stupid idea of region codes by now but it looks like will actually tighten it. Still, I guess that's not a debate for this forum.

Mikkom glad to hear you're sorted and can enjoy your player.
          Dave

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Only the Euro spec (and maybe all non-US) players are region free.. The US one's are region 1 only..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Fishy
              • Jul 2004

This was a shock when I found out. For a change the Euro owners have something that the US owners dont. It is normally the other way around.

Fish

Comment

• Mikko
                • Mar 2005

Hopefully even the Hollywood people have realised how ridiculous that is. I asked the local dealer about the region hacks and he also thought that it is region 2 and that's it. Then he asked the importer who said that "Yep, they are all region free", which surprised the dealer quite a bit :

jim777: so very true that instead of trying it is so "easy" to consult the almighty Web. But I'm happy that it turned around this way,I love to be wrong in cases like this! :B

Originally posted by jim777
                Is it really "legal" for them to do that? Well I guess so if they are doing it, but it surprises me a bit.

BTW, isn't it funny how we find ourselfs "technical problems" browsing the net instead of just trying things like most people would do, just to find out that everything is fine... it happens to me all the time

Comment

• Mouton
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Fishy
                  For a change the Euro owners have something that the US owners dont.
                  Yes and another thing that separates the 1050 from what is acutally called the 1050E is the Euro/SCART-connector that we have and they don't.

Comment

• hugexpat
                    • Sep 2005

RDV1050 zone 1 to all zones?

Hello
                    I'm European living in the US for work reason ( and very happy to be there)
                    I'll be leaving the country next year back to the old continent.
                    I bought recently a RDV 1050 US model ( only zone 1) so I cannot play the DVD zone 2 I brought with me.
                    Does anyone know how to make it compatible with zone 2 or all zones?
                    I like it very much and I will not be able to afford buying another one of this quality when I will be back to europe.
                    Thank you very much in advance
                    Hughes

Comment

• Olaf
                      • Nov 2003

Hi All,

When I bought my RDV-1060 in India it was not region free (fixed to region 3)! However the Rotel dealer brought along a CD-ROM containing some software to make it region free. So I guess it is possible and quite simple.

Rgds, Olaf

Comment

• hugexpat
                        • Sep 2005

This is good new.
                        DankUwell Olaf
                        Hughes

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"