X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseki
    • Sep 2003

Dumb question about xlr connections

I just bought the RB 1090 and RMB 1095 amps for my 7.1 system. Can any one tell me whether I need a M or F end on the XLR cable to connect to the amps?

David
  • Joseki
    • Sep 2003

22 views and not one of you knows whether there are prongs or sockets on the xlr jacks on the 1090 or 1095 amp? Somehow, I just don't believe it. I could call Rotel but it would be much easier if someone out there could tell me what the back of their amp looks like. If you see silver prongs, then I need a Female end. If you see a black socket with only holes visible, then I need a Male end.

Thanks for the help.

David

Comment

• greggz
      • Jun 2002

Black sockets with holes. You need a male ends.

Gregg
      Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

What a great response to insure future help too.. Maybe most of us were waiting for you to attempt to look at Rotel's site first:

Rotel manufactures high end consumer electronics for stereo, home theater and whole house audio systems.

Keep in mind that most of the regular's that make up most of the 22 views have Rotel preamps that don't use XLR cables and probably didn't want to give you wrong information.

Comment

• Joseki
          • Sep 2003

Kevin and others,

I apologize for my tone in my second post. It was harsh and critical and could have been phrased better. My only excuse is that I had been up for nearly 22 hours and was not using the best of judgement when I composed it.

FWIW, I did look at the rotel site and reviewed the back panel drawing. To my eyes, it was inconclusive and so I came here to ask.

Everyone here has been very helpful in the past and I appreciate that help. As soon as I get my system hooked up and gain some experience with it, I hope to add to the forum as well.

Again, I apologize for the tone of my second post. I did not intend it to sound nearly so snippy.

David

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

No problem, it was a little late for me too last night..

What preamp are you running to use the balanced in's?

Kevin D.

Comment

• SomaJoe
              • Jul 2003

Joseki, what speakers did you finally decide on?

Joe's HT
              Joe's HT

Comment

• Joseki
                • Sep 2003

In answer to the last two questions: I bought an Anthem AVM 20 v 2.1 at Audiogon. The price just couldn't be beat and the 1098 was just too new to take that great a risk. Everything that I've heard (even here) indicates that the Anthem is a great product and that I won't be disappointed. The 1098 was extremely tempting though.

As for the speakers, I managed to get a set of CDM-7SE's on ebay. This makes a set of 4 7-SE's for the R,L, LS, and RS. My DM 601 'bookshelf' speakers move to rear surround duties.

Lord knows, I can't wait to get all of this hooked up! As soon as it is up and running, I'll post a review of the whole system and will stand by to help newbies (otherswise defined as someone with a minute or two less experience than me.)

Again, thanks to those who accepted my apology. I really meant no offense and I hope to be a contributing member to this forum for a long time.

David

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Always think of XLR like this. You wouldn't want hot signal coming out on pins. Then simply crossing an RCA body against a set of pins could short something out.. So, the output from pre-amp is always pin type (male) cable to go into the protected holes. Input the pins show on gear, but that's not hot until something is connected to it, so no problem with them showing.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"