X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dinyaar
    • Aug 2006

Benefits Of Xlr Cables?????

Hi guys,
    Sorry to keep bothering u guys with my querries. My set up is a Cyrus CD 8X, Bryston BP 6/ 3 BSST pre/power and B&W 805s.
    The preamp only has RCA outputs though the power amp accepts both RCA and male XLR s.
    What would be the best option if i wanted to use the balanced inputs on the power amp?
    It it possible to get an RCA to male XLR cable? Will this cable also work as a balanced cable?
    Or should i buy an xlr to xlr cable and use an xlr to rca adapter at the preamp end?

Lastly an XLR is supposed to be a better connection, with lower noise floor and cleaner sound but will the above suggestions sound any better than just using an RCA to RCA interconnect?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by dinyaar; 23 March 2008, 02:13 Sunday. Reason: additional info required
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

Balanced XLR connections are good for live broadcast and for long runs. I dunno about converting XLR to RCA you will loose any apparent benefit as you will still be getting an unbalanced signal if you do that, thus making it a useless option unless your equipment only has an XLR connection and the other has only an RCA connection then ok. In a home audio situation I don't think the balanced connection will bring all that much benefit unless your doing long runs which could lead to noise and therefore a balanced connection 3 pin connection would be useful.
    The reason a balanced connection is good for live broadcast is because if you ever tried switching sources on an amplifier with rca you will get a loud noise, if you try the same with an XLR connector the ground pin hits the connection first and that noise is non existant when switching between multiple sources on the same input. Which is why it is good for live broadcast. Again useless in a home audio situation.
    In the end if your equipment has both try both of them. Most likely you wouldn't be able to pick out the difference in a blind test.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
      • Apr 2005

I agree - using RCA converted to XLR would not be worth while in your situation. I don't think you would get any benefit.

I wouldn't say that balanced connections are solely for broadcast and not for home audio though. Denon and Classe (and others) make processors and amplifiers that are completely balanced, so connecting processor to amplifier using balanced cables keeps the entire analog signal balanced until it hits the speaker terminals.

The Denon DCD-SA1 and PMA-SA1 are a case in point. Both units are balanced so you would connect them using balanced connectors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCD-SA1-front.webp
Views:	14
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	930937 Click image for larger version

Name:	DCD-SA1-back.webp
Views:	23
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	930938
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PMA-SA1-front.webp
Views:	24
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	930939 Click image for larger version

Name:	PMA-SA1-back.webp
Views:	21
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	930940
      Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 10:57 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dinyaar
        • Aug 2006

Benefits of XLR s

Hi DL and Mark,

Thanks for ur inputs.
        I would be only using a 1 meter IC so i guess the long lenght is not a factor here. The reason i asked if my earlier suggestions were possible/beneficial was i saw a pre terminated VDH interconnect(RCA -XLR) at the distributor here in bombay, India.
        He said it was to accept an unbalalnced signal from a cdp or pre and convert it to a balanced at the other end, and listed the benefits to me i.e lower noise floor, 3db sound pressure increase, etc. Since he was very keen to sell it to me i was a bit sceptical. Unfortunately he wont let me try the cable myself. (not an unusual practice here) I tried to get some info on the net and found some neutrik rca to xlr adapters and was wondering if they would be good.
        Thanks again

Comment

• ninja12
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by dinyaar
          Hi DL and Mark,

Thanks for ur inputs.
          I would be only using a 1 meter IC so i guess the long lenght is not a factor here. The reason i asked if my earlier suggestions were possible/beneficial was i saw a pre terminated VDH interconnect(RCA -XLR) at the distributor here in bombay, India.
          He said it was to accept an unbalalnced signal from a cdp or pre and convert it to a balanced at the other end, and listed the benefits to me i.e lower noise floor, 3db sound pressure increase, etc. Since he was very keen to sell it to me i was a bit sceptical. Unfortunately he wont let me try the cable myself. (not an unusual practice here) I tried to get some info on the net and found some neutrik rca to xlr adapters and was wondering if they would be good.
          Thanks again

Going from an unbalanced connection, RCA, to a balanced connection, XLR, will not be a benefit because the signal is starting from the source as unbalanced.

Comment

• dinyaar
            • Aug 2006

XLR cables

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will stick to my kimber RCA s.
            Its funny that the Bryston BP6 does not feature an XLR out to match their power amps.

regards

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Ok, FYI, this thread did NOT belong in Club B & W. It's a general audio topic.

Next one I see like this will be deleted without recourse.
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"