X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KEN KAZ
    • Oct 2004

1095 Hum

ok, i periodically have the 1095 hum.

it seem sthat when the unit is cold there is no hum. whenyou get it nice and toasty warm, like after listning to Zeppelin at 100dB for an hour or so, i can hear a hum. it is a 60hz hum that rides on top of the slight ringing in my ears.

i have satalite tv, not cable, I know that is a culprit for a lot of folks.

do othes have this? or are others' hums constant?

the unit is 9 months old, i had the hum when i got it, an di used a cheater plug till this weekend and i had some time to kill, so i tried to de-bug that problem.

thanks
    kaz
  • mitch57
    • Nov 2004

Is the hum coming from the speakers or from the amplifier?
    Mitch
    :stupidpc:

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

If the hum is from the amp, I suggest you try to ground the chassis. What is a cheater plug? I made a plug with just 1 copper wire connected to ground, and a round lug on the other end that I connected to the chassis using 1 of the chassis screws. It prevents the hum, which I believe is due to grounding issues, and made the whole HiFi "touch friendly", no more electric discharge when touching it.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Intresting csuzor. Any chance you upload a pic of that? Your implementation is a novel idea and one I think I might adopt. We have pre-made cheater plugs here in the States but I don't believe they offer any way to ground them to the chassis for safety.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

RebelMan, is a cheater plug a normal power plug with the earth pin cut off?

csuzor, isn't the amp's chassis already connected to earth via the earth pin on the power plug?

Comment

• csuzor
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
            csuzor, isn't the amp's chassis already connected to earth via the earth pin on the power plug?
            No, Rotel have (for reasons that only they know and we can only speculate on) ommitted the earth pin on the back of their units, so neither amp nor preamps are earthed.
            I'll post a photo, but it really is very simple. When I occasionally remove it, within a few minutes there is electric build-up, and touching either preamp or amp gives me small electric discharges, which are non-existent when the earth plug is used.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

The ground loop which is spoken of probably is not what kaz is up against. His sounds thermally related. As we all know ground loops in their simplest of forms are when one component pulls ground thru another component, rather than having it's own.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                No, Rotel have (for reasons that only they know and we can only speculate on) ommitted the earth pin on the back of their units, so neither amp nor preamps are earthed.
                This is only partially true. The RB-1080 does have a third grounding (earthed) pin. Some Rotel source components and pre/pro's are built without them, I believe, because they don't draw large amounts of current and perhaps they feel a "polarized" plug is sufficient enough for grounding purposes. The positive side effect of such a plug is reduced/eliminated hum normally caused by the 60Hz ripple. OTOH as csuzor points out, static build up can occur on the component and send shocks to your fingers. Ouch.

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                  RebelMan, is a cheater plug a normal power plug with the earth pin cut off?
                  More or less, yes. It is actually an adapter that converts a three prong plug into a two prong one. The problem with a cheater plug is that it is not "polarized" either and so there is no route for ground except through your component and eventually you when you make physical contact. I was curious as to how csuzor was circumventing this and by establishing a path to ground that is safe and doesn't incurr the 60Hz ripple.

Comment

• lvhung
                    • Jun 2005

many problem with Rotel
                    but still many buy Rotel
                    Rotel is only choice at 2-3 K

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"