X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Locutus2k
    • May 2004

HOW to eliminate Buzz/Hum (it works!)

Ok, here i am. I'VE FOUND A SOLUTION FOR THE INFAMOUS 1095 (and other amps) BUZZ/HUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    First of all get a cheated plug and connect the amp. Everything should be dead silent.
    Second thing: get a normal plug and cut off the phase pins, just leave the ground pin ONLY. Now connect a cable to the ground pin of the plug, plug it into the wall, only the ground will plug, the 2 phase pins are not present.
    Now just connect the wire to the amp chassis, wherewhere you want.
    THAT'S IT! The amp is grounded (no risk of "electroshock!") and the buzz/hum is gone!
    All the best,

Locutus2k
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

So you're saying if you ground the chassis through a separate plug instead of through the AC cord, you don't get the hum? I don't get it. Are you plugging the "ground-only" plug into a different outlet than the amp?

If this trick works (through the same outlet), that would mean to me that the amp's chassis isn't being properly grounded through the stock cord. If it were, you'd either still get the hum using your trick, or you wouldn't get the hum doing it the "normal" way.

Did you confirm that the chassis is actually being grounded by doing this? One way to test this is to unplug both plugs from the wall, and connect an ohmmeter between the ground pin on your homemade plug and the stock plug. It should show 0 ohms (or close to 0). Also, you should be able to test the ground between the pin on the plug and the amp chassis.

Comment

• Locutus2k
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Kevin P
      So you're saying if you ground the chassis through a separate plug instead of through the AC cord, you don't get the hum? I don't get it. Are you plugging the "ground-only" plug into a different outlet than the amp?

If this trick works (through the same outlet), that would mean to me that the amp's chassis isn't being properly grounded through the stock cord. If it were, you'd either still get the hum using your trick, or you wouldn't get the hum doing it the "normal" way.

Did you confirm that the chassis is actually being grounded by doing this? One way to test this is to unplug both plugs from the wall, and connect an ohmmeter between the ground pin on your homemade plug and the stock plug. It should show 0 ohms (or close to 0). Also, you should be able to test the ground between the pin on the plug and the amp chassis.
      First of all sorry for my bad english (i write from Italy).
      Yes, it works, but the ground plug is on a different outlet than the amp, even if on the same circuit.
      I've tried this solution because a friend of mine suggest me that the buzz comes out because of the Rotel ground scheme. In his supposition the 1095 ground scheme was not correct because the "pure" line connector ground was grounded together with the signal ground. If you bypass this ground scheme for a more traditional one (the one i did) the hum/buzz goes away. He says that this is a very frequent thing on china/japanese electronics. I've done a research and found this review of a chinese tube amp with the very same grounding problem (solved by the writer with a modified ground scheme). Look here: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/minimax_pwr_e.html
      Anyway with this grounding the human safety is guaranteed but i don't konw if it can protect the inside electronics from any electrical shock.
      So far, i'm testing ...
      All the best,

Locutus2k

Comment

• Locutus2k
        • May 2004

Update!

I've done other testing and i've found that with this system the hum/buzz is greatly reduced, but not completely eliminated.
        According to the link i've posted to eliminate it completely you should open the amp and change the ground internally (assuming that line ground and signal ground are connected together but this could be only a supposition).
        Unfortunately the power connections of the 1095 are covered by a tons of electronics and of difficult acces.
        Someone so brave will disassemble it and see what's inside?

Comment

• EAmin
          • Aug 2004

Monster Power 5100 works if buzzing is coming from Sat box

I tried this today, and it works like a charm. All I did was run the cable from the wall to the Satellite In --- ran the Satellite out to my DIRECTV receiver. No buzz or hum just as it was meant to be.

Thanks to JBall for the original suggestion. :T
          Last edited by EAmin; 24 November 2004, 21:09 Wednesday.

Comment

• GRCRYSTYK
            • Mar 2004

This is very interesting,...There are so many different power products available these days, and they have differing aproaches to grounding, which can make for some problematic situations, if you don't have a good understanding of how the systems can, or can't work together.
            Most of us don't have an intimate relationship with modern electronics. Ha!, I don't think there are many, even in the repair fields that do either. Not directing that statement anywhere specific,..."accept for a local shop I know of in my area",...

Any other profesional insight to all this?

>>>--->

Comment

• Legairre
              • Jan 2002

It us very important that you keep amps properly grounded and don't lift the ground. If anything went wrong and you touched the amp you or someone else would serve as the ground(not good). Several people run a seperate speaker wire from their cable, VCR, DVD, pre amp and amp to eliminate the dreaded hum. Tying all your components together seems to work well without lifting the ground and risking injury.
              "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

So basically what it's coming down to is that the 1095 isn't internally grounded very well and that anything else in your system that could cause a ground loop issue, the 1095 is showing off that? Or is it just the 1095 internally that is causing a small ground loop issue (like if you only have the speakers hooked up to it and nothing else, does it still buzz?
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• GRCRYSTYK
                  • Mar 2004

Legairre,..
                  I have read so much about grounding over the past year or so, that I have gotten a little lost in the midst of it all,....Most of the time what I'm reading makes sence. What I don't understand is, what the wire does between the different components.
                  When this happens, is it because a peice of gear isn't grounded well, and is looking for a path to ground via the cables? I have read this many times. As for the extra wire connected to each component,...is the resistance so much less on the wire, than through the interconnects that it takes that route instead of through the cables?,or am I understanding this wrong?

I'm curious as to what the most common ground problem is to start with. Are good grounding measures not being taken internally? I would think safety would be up front, and grounding for safety, and signal would both be high on the check list.

>>>--->

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"