X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stewfoo
    • Jul 2005

Problem with video switching through 1068

I hooked up my DVD Player and Directv satellite box through the component inputs of my 1068. The video signal is being altered drastically. The picture looks very green. I am positive that all of the component cables are hooked up properly. When I hook up either of the components directly to the Pioneer 50" plasma, the picture is fine. I know that I should probably just bypass the video switching because of this. But, it this normal? any suggestions before I throw it through the dealer's window? Is it a faulty 1068?

Rotel 1095 5x 200
    Rotel 1068
    B&W 803s
    B&W HTM3s center
    B&W ccm80 in ceiling surrounds
    Stew
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Save you're self the price of a window and a quality pre-pro, and give you're dealer a call. My 1068 does degrade the video signal ever so slightly, but not too the extent you speak of. Sounds like it has a problem.

Comment

• Bostonears
      • Mar 2004

Sounds like a faulty relay in the 1068's video switching. I use the component video switching on mine all the time, with HD cable TV and progressive scan DVD inputs to a Panasonic plasma on the output, and there's no noticeable degradation at all.

However, before you call your dealer, have you tried swapping out any of the component video cables? Perhaps one of them has an internal problem. From your description, if it is a cable problem, it most likely would be the connection from the 1068 to the TV.

Comment

• stewfoo
        • Jul 2005

Thanks guys. I will try to switch the cables around first.
        Stew

Comment

• stewfoo
          • Jul 2005

Wow! I feel retarded. As some of you know, I just sold all of my rotel gear and bought a Classe ssp-300 and 3200. I did this for a couple reasons, including the perceived poor video switiching of the Rotel 1068. Well, after setting up the switching through the ssp-300, I had the same horrible green picture. I should have paid more attention to bostonears' suggestion. He had it right. It was an audioquest cable failure. One of the wires was actually cut and frayed through the shielding. I thought it was just a bad weave. Do you think they will replace it?
          Sometimes I think I judge so quickly. I am sorry that my blame was misplaced on Rotel. I am sure that it would have been a fine switcher. I am so pissed off that I am gonna dump my audioquest for Some CAT cables. With my new setup my cables are way too long and I now have a big mess behind my rack.. I dont need the length anymore since I cut out the back of my entertainment center.. LOL.

I will be touching base with you Lex once I financially recuperate from the Classe gear in the next couple weeks.
          Attached Files
          Stew

Comment

• bzrk
            • Oct 2005

lol

so you spend thousands of dollars all because of a faulty 50$ cable? :P
            Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• stewfoo
              • Jul 2005

Well, thats what I am pissed about. It is audioquest's Most expensive cables. I wish it was only $50.
              Stew

Comment

• Club1820
                • Jan 2006

Ok. So far one person each has either said the 1068 degrades the picture or it doesn't. Anybody else care to respond? I will be setting up my theatre shortly and am debating on whether to run the video first to the 1068 or just straight through to the tv from my 1060.

Thanks.
                Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• stewfoo
                  • Jul 2005

My view of video switching is skewed by my bad cable prob. But, going through my Classe ssp-300 it is fine, with no noticeable degradation whatsoever. I love the convenience of one button and it works.
                  Stew

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Just switching component through the 1068 should yeild no degredation at all. Using the composite to component conversion might yeild a slight degredation vs running a composite out from the 1068.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ekkoville
                      • Aug 2004

I video switch with my 1068 with a component connection on both the DVD and HD Cable Box and I have know video degredation. The video is as good as it was prior to switching and the HD is stunning.

Comment

• grit
                        • Jan 2005

I presently have my system apart for a cabinet upgrade (and other equipment). I checked the DVD through the 1068 vs 1060 straight, and I personally cant tell any noteworthy differences on a 42" plasma tv.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"