X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattyboy
    • Oct 2003

Newbie RSX 1055 questions

Hello all - new forum lurker and first time poster here with a few questions about the RSX 1055.

1. I understand there are both black and silver finishes - is there any extra charge for the silver?
    2. Is there an A/B speaker switch? I'd like to use this for a home theater + 2 outdoor speakers. I'd rather not go to the expense of adding a separate amp and running the outdoors on the 2 extra 7.1 channels.
    3. Any experience/opinion on whether this receiver will cleanly run a pair of Paradigm Studio 80s? I don't have a huge concern here, but this is my first foray into the 'real' receiver realm.

Thanks for any help.
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

1- no extra for silver...I actually have never seen one black

2- there is no A/B speaker switch, but a 2nd zone, but you need a second amp (you can get a used one for quite cheap)

3- I don't think you will have any problems with your speakers...mine drives a pair of Energy C-6 and treust me, it's quite nice!!

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
    -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
    - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• mattyboy
      • Oct 2003

Followup question:

What's with the weight discrepancy between the website and the PDF manual? The website says this unit weighs 44.9 pounds, while the manual says 37.4 lbs. That's a big difference (not that it's a deal breaker or anything...)

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

you ask me???

- - - - - - - - - -

-Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
        - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'd trust the PDF myself but to be sure email Rotel and ask..I'm sure they'll respond quickly and would propably like to know there's two numbers floating around....I wonder if ones a shipping weight?

Comment

• BleakShore
            • Oct 2003

I noticed a fair number of discrepeancies myself on 1065 and 1055.
            The weight was one of them for sure. The THD figure was another one. SNR figures were also inconsistent. These were from 2002 catalogs, user manuals, and some online quoted specs.

Confusing.

But I do know I like the Rotel sound with my B&W speakers.
            However, a few email correspondence with Rotel gave me the impression that, at least the guy that has responded cares little about the customers well-being.

While reasonably prompt, a Rotel tech support rep tersly anwered: "it works as the manual says". No duh.. Gee, I'm too dumb to read the manual and understand what's in it. In the first place, the question was posed because of the lack of information in the manual to begin with. This kind of attitude simply puts me off.

So much so I even considered not staying with the Rotel products. Briefly. There are other fishes in the pond, and it is my money.

The reason for this grumbling is: I don't much feel like emailing them anymore. I did not appreciate their attitude. To be fair though, it was just the one guy.

Regards,

Comment

• will1066
              • Aug 2003

You can always give them a call and ask - no, demand - to speak to a rep, preferably Mike Sheehan. As for e-mail, I think Rotel's one of the better companies. I emailed Arcam about maintenance tips for my CD player and never got a response.

Comment

• simonb68
                • Jan 2003

That's unusual, Arcam has a great reputation over here for post-sales customer support, the reason a lot of people buy Arcam, or stick with the brand. I have contacted Rotel on a number of occasions for different things and always had prompt, courteous and helpful replies. As BleakShore says though, if you get 'the one guy' it can damage the respect you had for the company.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Bleak please email me with the name of the person you received that reponse from. I know Rotel is always interested in what people have to say about their customer service and have tried to address issues in past that we've made them aware of. They do care and quite frankly I'm surprised to hear you were not treated better. As the others eluded to there are some great reps to work with at Rotel (Mike Sheehan's definalty one of them)

Comment

• BleakShore
                    • Oct 2003

Andrew,

I just sent a PM to you. I am sincerely glad to hear that others have experienced positive customer service, as I really like the Rotel products. I am still waiting for my 1075 to come in, so I can do the 1055/1075 set-up.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"