Can I switch off two front channels in my RSX 1055 Receiver.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pramod
    • Dec 2005

Can I switch off two front channels in my RSX 1055 Receiver.

Dear Fellow Rotelions,

I have RSX-1055 Receiver and I have a NAD C272(150WPCx2) Power amp to power my fronts via 1055 pre outs, (which I already did and using it)
    Now here is my question....

I'm utilizing only five channels out of total 7 channels from both the "amp+receiver", since I have a small room and only 5 B&W 600 S3 series speakers
    and I have the front L/R channels on my 1055 unconnected, is there a way that I disconnect the internal front L/R amps in my 1055, so that I can save some wear and tear of the amp as I'm planning not to add extra +2 speakers for a while....

Your input/thoughts/ideas will be highly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

my setup is as follows:-
    ROTEL RSX 1055 (5x75WPC)
    NAD C-272 (2x150WPC)
    NAD C542 CDP
    DENON 1600 DVDP
    REL STARTA 5 SUB
    B&W 602S3 L/R, LCR 60C, 600S3 SLR.
    Monster and VDH INTERCONNECTS.
  • foeth
    • Apr 2006

You can redirect the FRONT L/R built-in amplifiers to the rear channels. As you don't have any input to them, they should remain 'silent'? (Or choose the listening mode that doesn't use the rear channels)

From manual:

Center Back Speakers

The RSX-1055 has a “redirect” feature that allows you to use the front left and front right amplifier channels to power center back speakers. For example, you might use a high-performance separate Rotel stereo power amplifier to drive the front speakers and use the five RSX-1055 internal amplifier channels to power the center, right surround, left surround, and center back speakers.

To use this feature, connect the left and right center back speakers to the front left and front right speaker connections on the RSX-1055 rear panel. If you only have one center back speaker, connect it to L/1 front speaker position and leave the other set of front connections unused. Then, go to the SPEAKER SETUP screen of the ON-SCREEN MENU system and change the REDIRECT line to Center Back (CB SP) instead of FRONT SP.

Or you could add two additional speakers... :P

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

In addition, no load on the amp means the amp isn't doing anything. Just having the speakers disconnected is good enough. The heat cycles from being inside the unit is probably doing more 'harm'.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
        • Apr 2006

1057 carry over this feature I assume?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Yes, plus the 1056 and 1057 can redirect the front two to power zone two speakers.

Kevin D.

Comment

• pramod
            • Dec 2005

For example, you might use a high-performance separate Rotel stereo power amplifier to drive the front speakers and [COLOR=Blue]use the five RSX-1055 internal amplifier channels to power the center, right surround, left surround, and center back speakers.

To use this feature, connect the left and right center back speakers to the front left and front right speaker connections on the RSX-1055 rear panel. If you only have one center back speaker, connect it to L/1 front speaker position and leave the other set of front connections unused. Then, go to the SPEAKER SETUP screen of the ON-SCREEN MENU system and change the REDIRECT line to Center Back (CB SP) instead of FRl as stated above..(

Dear Foeth,

In what other way I can utilize those channels for the centre channel as stated above... Sorry I'm asking a little dum question but I did not understand it quite well the above statement from the manual which says (use the five RSX-1055 internal amplifier channels to power the center, )

Thx in advance for your input.
            Pramod

Comment

• foeth
              • Apr 2006

I think Kevin D has a valid point that you shouldn't worry at all about wear and tear on an unconnected terminal as it's not doing anything.

Apparently Rotel designed the processor quite well; you can turn it into a 7.1 system with a separate 2 channel amp to the Front pre-outs. The front amplified channels are then turned into rear center terminals. Other than that, I cannot find anything in the manual. If you leave your system as it is now, I guess it works pretty well? Perhaps Rotel receiver owners have a few more tips.

Comment

• pramod
                • Dec 2005

Thanks to you all for your help, support ....

Comment

• sirbogey
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  Yes, plus the 1056 and 1057 can redirect the front two to power zone two speakers.

Kevin D.
                  I thought this was the case with the 1055 as well, or does it depend what version it is? I believe I tried that 2 years ago just for fun.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"