X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tha Freak
    • Jul 2003

Questions for my RSX-1055...

OK, since I'm new to my RSX-1055...

I will start this post so if I have other questions, I will use the same post instead of starting a new topic each time...

This time, When I play a DTS-ES DVD, I noticed that the front panel display shows different things.

For example, When I played FOTR Platinum, it red “DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete”
    And when I player Stargate Ultimate edition, it red “DTS-ES 6.1 Matrixed”

I have a 5.1 set up (but no sub) what is the RSX doing with the info in the 6th channel? Is it re-distributing it into the two surrounds? (a sort of a downmix) or am I losing it.

And when I play a DD mono movie, like "The Posseidon Adventure" the sound is coming only from the center channel? is there a way to use DPL II to get a surround effect?, or at least get the information in the left and right speakers?

I also red in the manual (and on this site) about Rotel XS (I think) mode, how do I use it?

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
    -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
    - - - - - - - - - -

• Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Good Morning,

First, if you have no sub and are running 5.0, you should go to setup and select large, at least for your front speakers. I'm assuming here that you have full range front speakers. While this will place a larger demand on the amp, it will send the LFE signal to your speakers. You should also select no for both sub and center back speaker. Thus, in effect, you're telling the receiver which speakers you will be using in your system and it will channel the signal accordingly.

As far as The Poseidon Adventure, it is my impression that Dolby prologic II only works if the source is in two-channel.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

DTS-ES comes in two flavors and both are backward compatible.

Matrix only has the 6th channel info in the existing two rears. In your situation with the center back disabled, the info is left in and you're good to go.

If it was enabled, the info is summed from the two channels, sent to the center rears, and then removed from the two channels.

Discrete has the same matrix info in the existing rears, but also has it in a full range separate audio track. In your case it does nothing and you're good to go.

If it was enabled, the matrix info would be removed from the existing rear channels and the discrete center rear channel would be sent to the back.

PLII I believe does have encoding to come up with something from a mono mix. I believe you just have to turn it on have it locks into the signal. Also try some of the music modes, you never know what might sound good on an older movie.

Rotel XS is their own version of PLII, DD-EX, and DTS-ES. I believe it's automatically turned on when you enable two center rear speakers. It basically takes the mono center rear info, compares it to the rear left/right signals, and comes up with a stereo center rear signal to send to the back two speakers. You won't use it in your situation.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Tha Freak
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
        PLII I believe does have encoding to come up with something from a mono mix. I believe you just have to turn it on have it locks into the signal. Also try some of the music modes, you never know what might sound good on an older movie.
        well thanks (to both of you) for the feedback...

As for "locking", how do you force the RSX to change prossessing? I never was able to change anything...example, TV, when I get Digital audio from my cable company (48khz I think) and the DDDigital on the RSX is "ON" in the display, I cannot use the 2CH Stereo ot the 3CH Stereo or the 5CH Stereo?? only the DLPII modes...

On a DVD that is DTS-ES, how do I get the RSX do read it in plain DTS instead??

As for the mono track, as I sait, I cannot get anything besite the DPL II but everything comes from the center channel! annoying!...

am I clear??

- - - - - - - - - -

-Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
        - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Energeezer
          • Sep 2002

Hey Ya Freak --- luv yur ID
          It sounds to me like you are not really getting a digital signal or the source you are listening to is not in 5.1. Many Sat channels are digital sound but not 5.1. If so you will only be able to use Prologic although in this case it will be digital pro logic. Make sure you have "assigned" the correct digital I/P in the setup or it may stil be seeing analog. (assuming anolog is also connected).
          Something else is up here I think cause I believe (someone will correct me if not) that you should be able to use 5ch stereo even with a 2 channel analog I/P.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
          The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"