X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

TRIGGERS

Could someone explain the cables and/or connectors I need for 12 volt triggers? And again how this whole thing works.

Thanx!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• EMT
    • Aug 2000

I think it depends entirely on your particular equipment. For example, my pre/pro has a 1/8" (3.5mm) mini jack for the trigger output and my power amps have RCA jacks for trigger input. I use a mono 1/8"-to-RCA cable from preamp to one of the amps, and then RCA-to-RCA cables from one monobloc amp to the next in the chain. Take a look in the owner's manual for your gear and I'm sure it will specify for you what type of cable/connectors are appropriate.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Triggers can be bare wire, 1/8', 1/4' or about anything else out there My Lexicon is bare wire, my proceed amps are 1/8", then the Panamax is a standard AC plug. So, sometimes it takes a little jury rigging to make things connect up. Let us know if we can help with specifics Clive.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

I'll check with them manuals and see. I leave my Panamax on all times, but it would be nice to do a sequence startup. How do you have yours, from start to finish?

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, at one time Clive, I had my DC-1 trigger the Panamax, which in turn "switched" the others. Now, I opted to do this:

I just leave the Panamax on all the time

Lexicon bare wire to Proceed amp 1 (1/8" mono), 1/8" mono from Proceed amp 1 to Proceed amp 2 (1/8" mono). Then I have to plug an empty 1/8" connector in the final hole on amp 2, to make it work. It can't be an open circuit. Go figure.

I never could get my Parasound amp to switch, dangit. (subwoofers), so I have to manually switch it on, not a huge thing, but it sure would be nice if it was automated.

As I recall, my bare wire from the Lexicon hit's a lamp cord wire, then I have a pig tail coming off to the 1/8" to the Proceeds, and the other part of the pigtail goes to the Panamax. Like I said, a bit tricky, lol.

Lex
          Doug

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

No open circuits, bare wire, pigtails?? Tricky? Umm, yea!

Thanks Lex actually I do understand bud!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Doug why not simply leave the parasound on all the time? I never shut my HK's down simply b/c I the Rotels triggers don't seem to jive with the HK's triggers so on they stay.

Comment

• LoVoltage
                • Jan 2003

The one thing you have to keep in mind about triggers is the pull current that it can provide. most 12v triggers are at best 100ma of current. some are around 200ma, while some are as low as 50ma. If you are using this current to trigger more than one device, it can cause an overcurrent condition, and the trigger will fail. when utilizing triggers for turn on sequences, I always will use a relay (SPST) to run a high current Power Supply (12vdc, 1amp is sufficient) for the rest of my triggers.

This can especially be a problem when you are "cascading" your triggers from one component to the next, as in some of the above examples.

By utilizing a relay from the main control output, and parallel the rest of the triggers to turn on, you also simply your circuit, increasing reliability and aiding in diagnostics if something goes wrong. IE: let's say the 2nd amp in series of 5 doesn't turn on, you now have 4 amps not turning on (which one is at fault?)... by paralleling the circuit, the ONLY amp that doesn't turn on is the 2nd amp.

hope this helps...

Merging Technology with Today's Lifestyles!

- LoVoltage
                Merging Technology with Today's Lifestyles!

- LoVoltage

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

So, how do we accomplish that Lovoltage?

thanks, great explanation too.

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"