X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

Rotel DVD player?

That last two pieces of my HT is a new TV and a new DVD player. I've been researching DVD players a bit, and I've got a few ideas I'd like to throw at you.

I'm a cheap bum, but want the best possible CD audio playback, AND the best possible video quality. Bang-for-the-buck drives ALL my purchases (hence my Rotel and Axiom gear!) DVD-A and SACD playback are definate pluses.

From what I've been reading, the Denon DVD-5900 is the DVD player to beat.

• The latest DCDi by Faroudja FLI-2310 Decoding Engine
    • DVI output
    • Built-in Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-Audio and SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • Custom Built to DENON Specifications - Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz PCM/DSD 1790 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD.

BUT...I'd REALLY like to keep my gear all Rotel. Does Rotel have anything that can compete with this? It seems that their RDV-1060 is as close as they've got, but it doesn't seem to be in the same league.

Granted the 5900 has an msrp of $2000, but you KNOW it'll be able to be had for closer to $1250 or so via authorized B-stock sellers.

I've asked similar questions before, but I'm trying to get as much possible info as I can before making what I consider a larger purchase.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The simple answer is of course no. Rotel does not currently make a universal DVD player nor one with a DVI connector. As for DVD image quality I've yet to see the Rotel in action but I know at least a few people that picked it over Denon players and everyone raves about its audio quality for CD's. What this means is that if DVD-A, SACD and DVI are deal breakers you have no choice but to look at Denon's. If however you are willing to got for the 1060 and add on an external SACD player you could very well stick with Rotel gear. Typically an all in one solution comprimises each component over seperate box's but that gap greatly narrows as you move to the extremes of the one box models. So with that in mind the 5900 is currently the most advanced single box solution that comes with a hefty price tag. For what you pay for the 5900 you could very likely buy a 1060 and 1072 which would possibly give you top notice video and very good DVD-A with the 1060 and very nice CD playback on the 1072. What it won't do however is give you the DVI or SACD support.

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

Don't forget about the new top-of-the line Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi coming out this winter. Read the press release for details: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe...746808,00.html. This one has an msrp of $1600, but you can often get these at a pretty good discount as well.
      Brad

Comment

• lcajiga
        • Aug 2003

I think there is another less expensive alternative and is the Yamaha S2300. It is a great player that sounds great in both HT and stereo. It is Universal, have the Farajouda line doubler, don't have the Chroma Upsampling Bug, have 5.1 analog outputs and is very compatible with the Rotel 1098 in the HD Component output. It retails for $999.00 so It may be found a lot less expensive at stores. I currently own one and I'm very satisfied with it.

Sound and Vision top 5 DVD:

Good luck!

Regards,
        Luis

Regards,
        Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
        Regards,
        Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Blindamood
          Don't forget about the new top-of-the line Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi coming out this winter. Read the press release for details: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe...746808,00.html. This one has an msrp of $1600, but you can often get these at a pretty good discount as well.
          I'm normally up on all the latest Elite info but seeingas I'm going all Rotel, I've obviously been slacking. Thanks for the link though, the Elite sounds promising. I might have to go this route instead of a Rotel....time will tell.

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
          GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I wonder if the Pioneer will finally not have the chroma bug like all their other players?

Comment

• spiffnme
              • Apr 2003

Well, since I'm not in a rush for a new player, perhaps the best thing to do is sit tight and wait for Rotel to catch up. I'm sure they'll have a better player out sooner or later.

As many raves as I always here about Rotel's amps and processors, very little is ever said about their DVD and CD players. Are they perhaps waiting for the DVD-A, SACD, HD-DVD dust to settle?

I remember from the Q&A thread with the Rotel rep, that they didn't seem keen on ever coming out with a SACD player. SACD certainly seems to be slowly gaining momentum. Not simply for multi-channel playback, but high rez 2 channel as well. DVD-A is dying. Though there seem to be more DVD-A players, the record industry simply doesn't seem to be interested in releasing any software in that format. I think Rotel is going to have to bite the bullet and pay Sony their royalties if they to build a player that will sell.

I think I'll stick with my lowly little Pioneer 656a for now. A new TV will probably be next, and then lastly the new player. Hopefully by then Rotel will have a player that's got us all drooling. It may seem stupid, but keeping all my gear Rotel is kind of high on my list of priorities now.

My dream is that in a year or so they'll have a kick-ass player with not only DVI out for video, but Firewire out for audio as well. Then they'll have a newer version of their 1066 or 1098 that also has firewire inputs. THAT would be a must have combo.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by spiffnme
                Hopefully by then Rotel will have a player that's got us all drooling. It may seem stupid, but keeping all my gear Rotel is kind of high on my list of priorities now.
                Thats not stupid at all. I feel the same and will wait for the dust to settle as well 8)

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• gd
                  • Jan 2003

I like what I've heard of DVD-A/SACD so far, but... I'm kinda skeptical that hi-res will make it, at least as it stands now... you've got two competing formats, each of which is fairly different in technology, content and sonic effect.

If DVD-A and SACD have any chance of surviving, it can only be by way of universal players, so there is at least a little ease-of-use for regular consumers... otherwise, everyone will just hang around and wait to see who the 'winner' is, when there need not be any 'format war' to begin with.

Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer and Marantz are producing Uni's that are pretty much there... hop on board, Rotel... I think a sizable number of customers would be receptive to a Rotel Uni to compete with a Den 5900.
                  greg (gd to you)
                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                    • Oct 2002

I own the Denon 5900 since 2 weeks, and the most surprising thing about this player is the quality of the video section. I did compare it to the 2900 and the 3800 (and alot of former 2900 owners can confirm this on other forums... sorry moderators...) and the PQ of the 5900 is probably one of the best right know, and really better then those two other Denon players. Kris from Secrets did confirm the same thing with a pre-production unit...

The DVD-A and SACD is really surprising on the 5900. A guy did put is Consonance player on Audiogon after owning the 5900 for 2 days (that is a strong statement about the quality of the 5900!). It simply outperformed the 3800 and 2900 (non-mod'd) on DVD-A and SACD. Spatiality. No contest here. I still own my 3800 and my friend did bring his 2900 over, so I don't talk only with technical specs, but after hearing the 3 players in my house.

Alot of 2900 owners on AVS (sorry moderators...) made the switch and can confirm what I just said. The 5900 is the uiversal player to beat right now, and Pioneer will have to really out-performed themselves this time to beat Denon...

Firiwire, DVI-D, outstanding DVD-A and SACD performance, and probably the best analog picture on the market right now.

I still don't understand why Rotel didn't go the universal way with their new players. They are making some of the best DVD-A players on the market, and would have really like to hear SACD from them! Maybe next year.
                    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• spiffnme
                      • Apr 2003

Yeah...Lev, I've been reading your posts on the other boards, and it's taking a lot of will power to resist the 5900. I might fold under the pressure of upgraditus if it came in silver.

I think what's keeping SACD not only alive, but growing is the fact that many of the discs are hybrid, and can be played on any player. Granted you won't get the high rez or multi-channel sound, but it opens the market up to many, many more titles. It's the software that's going to make or break the two formats, and in my shopping I've found that SACD has 2:1 the titles that DVD-A has. (and many of the DVD-A discs are weird unheard of crap that no one in their right mind would buy.)

I hate having my gear become outdated quickly...it's bad enough that my PC does.

What's the story with HD-DVD? Are we talking YEARS before that hits the market?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"