X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spkerguy
    • Jun 2005

2nd Rotel 1095 Amp issues! Need help!!

Someone please help! I love my 1095 amp. Good clean power. The only issue is every now and then I get a very audible (I can hear it from my couch) hum coming from the amp. Happens at all different times and then continues making the noise till I power down. This is the second new amp I have received from Rotel with the same problem. Is it the amp or just bad luck?

Thanks,

Ken
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

describe the Humm, or is it a hiss or a bzzzz

if it's a developing humm, as in the amps fine for a few weeks then starts humming you're looking at electrical issues (possibly)

1095 amps don't just randomly hummm, or at least i havn't seen a tendency for this.

just my 2 cents

Comment

• spkerguy
      • Jun 2005

thanks. It could be a grounding issue. I have everything plugged in to a panamax 5500 Line conditioner. I'm wondering if that could be the problem. I'll go home and listen to it tonight and maybe I'll be able to describe it better

Comment

• NewBuyer
        • Feb 2005

Is the hum coming from within the amplifier chassis itself, as in from the amplifier's internal transformer?

Or is it a hum that you hear from the speakers?

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Disconnect your cable connection, it is usually the culprit.

Azeke

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

Possibly a grounding issue involving cable television connection or satellite connection. Do a search here for "amplifier hum.''

Comment

• mitch57
              • Nov 2004

I have the same issue. I purchashed a new Parasound Halo A51 and it buzzes as well. Both the Rotel and the Parasound exhibit no buzzing when they are connected at the dealer. I have determined that it is an electrical power issue coming into my house.

The buzz is intermittent and varies in intensity with no measurable consistency concerning time of day or any other paremeter.

It's so frustrating it's down right depressing!
              Mitch
              :stupidpc:

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Gentlemen Electricty is a theory and a science

Electricity does all sorts of anomaly behavioral stuff. the ingredients are endless and non-sesical. The Rotel amp is quiet as a mouse at the dealer, the Halco was perfect at the store but now buzzes at your house?

Go Figure?

It's not you!

it's the master feed coming in through your main feed breaker box. There are so many things to try. I tried almost everything, then my friend brought over this PS audio thing. A small-ish box that he said his electrical engineering degree would never defend to the level that the manufactured defended it to!

I love controversy, so I tried it and my video problems stopped plus I swear I heard a sonic noise floor drop, but that might be "psychological mumbo jumbo" which I tend to be subject to.

Good luck with the science of electricity, but I’ll tell you, the art of electricity might save you.

Just my 2 cents
                Andrew M ward

Comment

• mitch57
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                  Electricity does all sorts of anomaly behavioral stuff. the ingredients are endless and non-sesical. The Rotel amp is quiet as a mouse at the dealer, the Halco was perfect at the store but now buzzes at your house?

Go Figure?

It's not you!

it's the master feed coming in through your main feed breaker box. There are so many things to try. I tried almost everything, then my friend brought over this PS audio thing. A small-ish box that he said his electrical engineering degree would never defend to the level that the manufactured defended it to!

I love controversy, so I tried it and my video problems stopped plus I swear I heard a sonic noise floor drop, but that might be "psychological mumbo jumbo" which I tend to be subject to.

Good luck with the science of electricity, but I’ll tell you, the art of electricity might save you.

Just my 2 cents
                  Andrew M ward
                  Andrew,

What do you suggest I try? What and how much was this "PS Audio" thing you tried? Does it require an electrician to install it? I'm thinking about calling the power company to see if they can shed any light on the subject.
                  Mitch
                  :stupidpc:

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

I have ordered the 1095 Amp. and it will arrive shortly. I have currently the 1065 driving 803/804 and I have humming sounds from the 1065 when it gets hot, as it is pushing to drive these Power hungry 803/804 ,and yes I found that the Fan turns on in the Amp. every so often to cool the 1065 down..Could that be your problem with 1095...please keep me posted I am curious,as the 1065 is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Mark_C.
                      • Jan 2003

This isn't the first time this issue has come up. Please search for your answers.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=9140&highlight=amplifier+ground+ loop

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=11482&highlight=amplifier+ground +loop

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Sorry clicked on your threads above and it doesn't open. We are all curious here!!!!

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

1095 does not have any fans, though it's not a bad idea to make two fans on top of the 1095 to help cool it. That's what I did and yesterday during the warm weather I was listening to a lot of music pretty loud (comfortably loud), when I stopped and there was nothing playing I actually heard the fans moving air. So they increased their speed/airflow as the am got hotter (since it was already a hot day it didn't take much). After about 2 minutes of nothing going through the amp, but the amp on, the fans slowed down to being completely quiet. Thermal technology is cool. ha ha

More often than not though the buzzing/hum from the Rotel amps is due to interference of the cable line, you pop that out and a lot of people it goes away. You can put a ground loop filter on the cable line and that tends to fix it.
                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                          -Dan

Comment

• will1066
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by mitch57
                            Andrew,

What do you suggest I try? What and how much was this "PS Audio" thing you tried? Does it require an electrician to install it? I'm thinking about calling the power company to see if they can shed any light on the subject.

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet: http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...sp?sku=PSAUO15

Reduced my system noise floor but NOT cheap.

If it turns out to be the cable, try this: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/vrd1ff.pdf

When I had my RB-1080, it wreaked havoc with my cable TV. The Jensen ground isolator snuffed it.

Comment

• ds22030
                              • Sep 2004

Also try connecting a chassis common ground between your amp, preamp, and source......addresses buzzz, esp. if only one component is grounded....

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"