X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

B&W N804's - looking for best amp to match

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I read the rules and how we need to stay specific to B&W speakers and not stray to talk about amps, preamps, sources, etc. This post is about which amp would go well with B&W speakers, so hopefully it qualifies. I see no other better forum to post it in than in a forum full of owners of N804 speakers.

I currently own N804, HTM1, SCM1 (rears), Rotel RMB-1095 5ch amp, Rotel RSP-1098 processor/preamp, and Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD. Harmonic technology cables all around and REL Stadium III and Strata III subs.

The 1095 amp is a great value and I've had it for 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed it for both 5 ch and 2 ch. I'm now looking to take the next step. I'm currrently demoing the 1080 and 1090, but have not heard a big enough improvement (yet) to really motivate me to change.

I would like to go with a 2 ch up front, mono or 2 ch biamp for center, (or 3 ch for front and center), and 2 channel for rear. What 2ch or 3ch amps in the $2000-$3500 range work really well with the N804 and HTM1? Anybody have experience with the Classe CA-201 (now discontinued but available used on the various boards)?

I can get the Rotel 1090 for about $1500 new and I've seen the Classe CA-201 for about $1650 used ($3300 MSRP). So that is why I mentioned $2000-$3500 range. I'd like to stick to around $2000 for new or $3500 originally new but now used and no longer available new.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

awesome speaker setup. I hope to get scm1's at some point.

I use a cinenova grande 5 amp. it is 5 300w monoblocks built into one unit. I think it is sweet. got it for less than $2500. dont remember exactly how much because I had to buy the rca's to connect it to my receiver at the same time. I have heard it as being very similar to a bryston in sound quality. For the price, I couldn't pass it up.
    here is the link:

there is also a 3 channel amp:

The 7 channel amp on the page doesn't exist.

PM me if you are interested in where I got it.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

In my opinion, amplification won't have much of an impact on sound quality for your 804s. I had the upgrade bug a year ago. I thought I could improve upon my Classe CAP-101 and its 100 wpc for my 804s. But I had three B&W dealers tell me I wouldn't notice a difference going from 100 wpc to 200 wpc (we're talking Classe, McIntosh etc.). I can't imagine going from 200 wpc to 300 or more wpc will alter things dramatically.

Comment

• jlee
        • Aug 2004

Within Classe, I've demoed the new Delta series (CA2100, 2200, 5200, and M400) and I agree, the differences between them was subtle. I would say that the improvement that 400W gave over 100W was significant (better bass control, and just so ever slightly more effortless midrange and treble) but the essence of the series was kept intact even in the entry level model. Between 200W and 400W models, you'd need really revealing associated equipment and critical listening to appreciate the improvement. From 100W to 200W, same thing.

However, I was thinking not of more power, but higher quality brand change. I am satisfied with the volume levels 200W Rotel can provide me. Just looking for that extra bid of refinement, transparency, musicalility, etc.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"