X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1098 owners...a question

Guys i have two issues with my 1098 that are bugging me that I'd like to see if I'm alone or if its a bigger problem.

The first one is that while watching satellite via analog cables using pro logic II cinema I get a lot of static every few minutes that only goes away when I switch to a different surround mode like DTSNEO...but that's only a temp fix as the static then affects that mode as well. I'm not sure if its just the Satellite yet as I tend not to listen to CD's in anything but stereo but I intend to try that as well to see if it occurs with a different source unit...I guess I could try a VHS tape as well.

My second problem is that when watching the Lion King tonight during the stampede scenes I have a lot of audio drop outs. We were watching the SE version with the enhanced sound track (which rocks!). Then when going back to the menu to try the same scenes with the theatrical version I got a distorted audio that wouldn't go away no matter what surround mode I tried. Does this happen to anyone else?

• Henk
    • Jun 2003

Andrew, I watch satellite in the same mode as you with analogue audio cables and S video, and experience no problems similar to yours.

I do however have a problem on the video side and while drafting this reply I was wondering if you experience this too. My 1098 switches to monochrome if I flip through satellite channels and dvd chapters quickly. The colour eventually returns (about 2 -3 minutes later) but this is rather annoying. I am thinking of bypassing the 1098 video inputs totally and connect my satellite decoder and dvd player directly to my projector.

Comment

• Sithlord10
      • Apr 2003

Andrew I don't have satellite so can't help you there. I should be taking delivery of the Lion King dvd tomorrow (Friday) so I will let you know how that goes. Unusual for the 1098 to act up like that has me a bit worried. Keep you informed.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

internation bunch aren't we I haven't seen any monochrome colour on my TFT, TV or Projector.

Comment

• Howie
          • Feb 2003

Andrew - just curious, why do you listen to the satellite via analog? I have mine hooked up through a digital input so that when I switch to a Dolby Digital station it will work accordingly. I haven't run into any static problems with this setup.

Howie
          Howie

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Because there's no digital output on my receiver :cry:

Comment

• Howie
              • Feb 2003

Ohhh. Gotcha. Sounds like another thing to add to the upgrade list. It never ends, does it?

Howie
              Howie

Comment

• lcajiga
                • Aug 2003

Hi Andrew, did several tests tonight trying to replicate your problem. Even though I have a Dish Network receiver with digital out, I also have steroe cables connected for Zone 2 purposes. I setup the 1098 for analog and used the PLII Cinema for DSP. I listened for more than 20 minutes with no problems. Regarding the Lio King DVD, I purchased it today and agree with you that the enhanced soundtrack sounds AMAZING!. Well, I watched the movie with no problems and NO drpouts, including repeating the stampede scene several times in both the special and teatrical versions. I have the latest 1.1.4 firmware by the way but I assume you have it installed also.

Besides that, I have a theory that would like you to try. You already know that I have problems with Zone 2 12v trigger since the 1098 still have an issue and is not working as it is suppose to be. Rotel is currently working with it and will be resolved soon. Well, playing with the new version to see if it resolved the problem, I heard a static noise never before heard while playing with the 12v triggers in the back of the 1098 without turning it off. I replicated the issue and noticed that if the cable is not well connected, it cause the static noise. I then switched the cable and the problem is gone. I'm assuming that you have your amplifiers turning on with the 12v trigger, if that is the case and the cable is damaged, or the 12v trigger out from the 1098 is damaged, then with very deep bass, the vibration may cause the 12v trigger to temporary turn off the amps.

This is just a theory but it will not cost nothing to try.

Regards,
                Luis

Regards,
                Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
                Regards,
                Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Andrew, I agree with Howie, the upgraditis bug strikes again. RCA, Sony, and I believe Samsung have new satellite receivers (also available in silver :LOL: ), costing approximately $99.00 (US), but I believe it requires a one year commitment for activation and of course these are not HD boxes.

I will test the Lion King DVD for dropout this evening during the family movie hour and let you know my findings.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Up here in the great white north digital satellite box's are still $$$. I'll keep my eye open though as its something I'd like to upgrade to at some point. After talking with Rotel yesterday they suggested it might be a heat related issue so I did some mod's to my 1098 and rearranged my gear rack so the 1098 no longer sits above the power amps. So far it worked perfectly last night so we'll see if that trend continues

Comment

• Sithlord10
                      • Apr 2003

Umm Andrew you had your 1098 above your power amps 8O . Geez mate the first thing you do if you have power amps is put them at the top of any rack as heat rises. No wonder your 1098 was getting too hot. I've read some people put their dvd players on top of their receivers....WRONG. I'm glad the problem wasn't with the 1098 which I'm sure your relieved as well to know. Oh well at least you got to watch the Lion King my copy still hasn't turned up probalby next week :cry:

Comment

• Scarp
                        • Mar 2003

sithlord, that depends on your rack. I use a very open Finite Element Spider rack and have my power amp (parasound a51) about 15 to 20cm below the Rotel 1098 and the 1098 isn't heating up more than without the amp. Although at first I did have them closer to eachother which did heat up the 1098 a lot more. Note that the parasound amp gets a lot warmer than any rotel amp. I've had the 1075 (which andrew has) also and it hardly became any warmer on the outside. Well ... the parasound amp runs partly in class A and runs hot (still touchable).
                        But having a rack thats open on all sides helps in removing the heat easily.

Anyway... to the problems reported by Andrew. I havent had any problems with my 1098. I dont get dropouts or have any real problems. Since I run 5.0 (no sub) I havent had problems with DTS also

Comment

• Sithlord10
                          • Apr 2003

Scarp obviously the more space you have between the components the better the heat distribution, thats pretty standard. I've had different configs with my rack and found having the 1095 at the top greatly reduces any other components overheating. I'm glad your setup works as I'm sure Andrews now does. The point I'm making is that by having components that generate more heat at the top of a rack or away from the other units will eliminate any possible heating problems that may occure with the rest of the setup. Clearly I wasn't saying that it will have to be that way for everyone, just a rule of thumb for most people who may be having similar symptoms like Andrew with their systems. Anyway it's good to know that there is diversity out in the big wide world of HT. :P

Comment

• dwhite
                            • Oct 2003

I have once experienced some audio drop outs on the 1098. I was listening/watching a DVD in Dolby Digital. Every once in a while, the 1098 would lose the lock on the Dolby Digital signal and revert to Dolby PLII. When the mode switch happened, there was an interruption in the audio track.

This was happening when I was ironing some clothes in front of the TV. I started wondering whether it could be a power problem. I live in a rental town home and haven't been here for long, so I wasn't sure how the place is wired. After some investigation, it turned out that I had the iron plugged into the same circuit as the home theater. The iron was drawing about 11 amps. My home theater system draws a maximum of 16.5 amps. The circuit has a 20amp breaker on it. I suspect that the 1098 was struggling for power. I'm suprised that the breaker didn't trip.

Since then, I haven't experienced any drop outs (and I haven't plugged anything else into that circuit). It's not conclusive, but those are my observations.

It may not be the problem you had, but I hope you find this helpful.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                              • Sep 2003

Current current current!

I am a HUGE supporter of having plenty of current coming into the room. Some call it overkill, but the more dedicated circuits you can get to your listening room, the better. Your gear is not being used to it's potential if your cutting it close.

Too many people have tons of amps and tv's and various peices of digital and analog equipmrnt all running off 1 or 2 circuits. Tisk tisk I say! It only costs a couple of $$ to get some good romex, a breaker and a receptacle..it could be the best upgrade you'll ever experience.

I apologize for getting waaaaaaay off topic but I can't stress enough to people how important it is.

To get somewhat back on topic, I think I have decided to get a 1098 instead of the 1066. I wish they had a version without the tft screen so as to drive prices down more, but I can live with it. I want it for it's sweet sound, ahhh music to my ears

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                              GameTracker -My List-
                              Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I've got current to spare given I have two seperate 20 amp lines feeding the gear and the PJ's on another 15 amp line

Comment

• Sithlord10
                                  • Apr 2003

I took delivery of The Lion King and Matrix Reloaded tonight and I have one word to describe the experience Incredible. Andrew I watched the Lion King and had no audio drop out with my 1098. That is one amazing sounding dvd almost better than LOTR. It has a huge soundstage I wasn't prepared for it being that good. Matrix Reloaded is another fine presentation, but I found I needed to increase the volume about 8db higher than normal. I've read that the soundtrack has been recorded a bit low but once you cater for that hold on to your hats. If these dvds don't wreck your friendship with your neighbors then nothing will. Buying the 1098 is the best decision I have ever made .

Comment

• Harl
                                    • Jul 2002

Andrew,
                                    I have my Dishnetwork PVR 501 hooked up to the 1098 using Digital Optical cable to the Opt 1 input. I am having no problems w. static sound. I have not tried the analog connection though.

Also, recently checked out about 1/3rd of the Lion King and had no dropouts or other issues.

You are aware of my DTS problems though. Still waiting for an answer on that one.

Overall, the 1098 is AWESOME! Even with the little bugs I am experiencing, the satifaction factor is still way up there. I upgraded from a 1066 and really did'nt expect to hear much difference (I think the 1066 sounds fantastic!) but WOW! I was really impressed with the improved soundstage, sound placement and overall clarity.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

I haven't had any drop outs or static either since moving my pre amp so at least for now it seems to be "fixed".

As for the DTS issue yes we're still working on that one

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"