X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stewc
    • Jun 2003

PLII vs DSP 5-ch on 1055

I watch a lot of SD video through my 1055 (analog cable channels, for example.) Two modes: through Tivo (analog audio to 1055) or Moto5100 STB (digital audio to 1055). In either case, I've been very disappointed with the 5-channel imaging of DD PLII Cinema -- seemed overly concentrated on the front-center speaker. I resorted to goosing the audio levels of rear channels up and center speaker down to compensate.

Goofing around the other night, I tried the 1055's 5-CH mode...and heard a dramatic improvement. [But...I've been trained to SCORN all DSP buttons!!]

Is it my aging ears? What am I doing wrong that PLII Cinema should sound so inferior? (When I switch to PLII Music, where I can tweak the panorama etc parameters, I get better imaging than PLII Cinema). When used with true 5.1 input (HDTV or DVD), then PLII is a bit better.

Thoughts? thanks in advance
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Stew,

Have you tried setting the Center Width adjustments? The Center Width allows you to send some of the center channel's signal to the front left/right speakers.

By the way, while I don't go for any of the other DSP type processing, I personally love 5-channel stereo, especially for music. It floats my boat.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Unfortunately, even with you HD "digital" cable box, probably most of your standard cable channels are going to to be piped through in just mono (regardless of what output mode or wire hookup).

One of the first jobs pro-logic does is ask the question "What is exactly the same on both channels? Thats what I need to send to the center speaker.." If the signal is mono, the answer is "everything", hence a heavy concentration on the center channel. From my experience, even channels in stereo may not have enough serparation to get an accurate decoding.

But the bottom line is use what your ears like. There are set 'standards' for what you 'should' put things in, but as the quality of the input drops, these standards don't always hold true.

Either upgrade to satellite (and possibly lose picture quality), or stick with 5-ch stereo. But whatever you do, don't mess around with the speaker levels once properly set, unless it's just the temporary adjustments outside of the on-screen menu that revert back after an input change.

Good luck!

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"