X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legion1capone
    • Oct 2008

my subwoofer is clipping Help!

I am using an Elemental Designs A3-300 subwoofer.

I was testing out my sub today on U-571 in blueray. We all know the depth charge scene, when those seriously low notes goes off my sub clips very bad and I have to back the volume of the sub.
    I have heard that most subwoofer clipping can be significantly reduced by backing off the volume knob on the subwoofer and adjusting the low pass frequency on the amp.
    I should note that I only notice clipping at high listening levels and when the volume knob on the sub is set at 2/4-4/4 turn clockwise. When I turn the volume down to 1/4 there is no clipping. But when I do this I don't feel the scene is engaging at all.
    The problem I have is I like the output that the sub puts out when the volume knob on the sub is way up. Is the sheer output I am asking for out of the question of this single sub? Would the output I be looking for be easier to handle with 2 subs?
  • mackintire
    • Jan 2009

Sounds like you need a sub sonic filter. Either you re running out of mechanical extension on the sub or the Amp is running out of power. That scene has alot of sub 20hz information so once you start playing below the ports turning frequency theres no air suspension for the driver. Once that happens it ll only take 50-60 watts to max out the mechnical limits of the driver.

Comment

• Xander
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by legion1capone
      I have heard that most subwoofer clipping can be significantly reduced by backing off the volume knob on the subwoofer and adjusting the low pass frequency on the amp.
      Adjusting the low pass filter on the amp will not help clipping. A low pass filter filters out high frequency content, this will not take a significant load off of the amp.

The scene you are talking about involves subsonic frequencies, like Mackintire mentioned. The amp may be out of headroom, causing clipping. Some of the heavy content in that scene is below the tuning frequency of that sub, which means the woofer will have uncontrolled motion, very possibly causing it to bottom out.

I don't know if that amp has a high-pass filter built in or not. If it does, it may not be steep enough to filter out the content that is causing your sub distress. You may need a high-pass filter in place before the amp (also called a sub-sonic filter).

Other option is to lower the gain and deal with it until you can get a new sub that can handle all the low frequency content.

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Forum sponsor Parts Express has Harrison FMOD 20Hz high pass RCA inline crossovers @ $25.90/pair.

Comment

• legion1capone
          • Oct 2008

Sweet. I'll get one ordered up and see if it works.

Comment

• mr.hidef
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Xander
            Adjusting the low pass filter on the amp will not help clipping. A low pass filter filters out high frequency content, this will not take a significant load off of the amp.

The scene you are talking about involves subsonic frequencies, like Mackintire mentioned. The amp may be out of headroom, causing clipping. Some of the heavy content in that scene is below the tuning frequency of that sub, which means the woofer will have uncontrolled motion, very possibly causing it to bottom out.

I don't know if that amp has a high-pass filter built in or not. If it does, it may not be steep enough to filter out the content that is causing your sub distress. You may need a high-pass filter in place before the amp (also called a sub-sonic filter).

Other option is to lower the gain and deal with it until you can get a new sub that can handle all the low frequency content.
            His A3-300 goes down to 18hz....=)
            SONY SXRD KDS-50A2000
            ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
            SONY BDP-S560
            MONSTER HDP-2500
            Klipsch Reference IV 7.1
            Dual eD A2-300's
            HARMONY 1000

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"