X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al K
    • Feb 2004

2nd subwoofer to rear channels?

My dealer suggested using my spare subwoofer connected with its low level inputs and outputs to my rear channels in conjuntion with my rear speakers. This method allows all LFE fom the rear speakers to be fed to the rear sub and not the front sub as done in a conventional HT setup. Of course there is a front sub with this layout connected with line level ins and outs. Also suggested to leave the rear speakers programmed for large w/electronics in this case. Since (technically speaking) bass is not really omnidirectional, there should be a substantial improvement. All front LFE goes to the front sub and all rear LFE goes to the rear sub.
    Anybody out there have experience with the above? Any info, advice. or experience is appreciated.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well in theory this might just work well but you'd probably have to play with the phase on the sub. The only other problem I have is I don't think there's a huge amount of low frequency info in the rear channels anyway. Some but not a lot.

I'd say you're likely better off having a receiver/processor with dual sub outputs and good bass management.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Explain to me how you would wire this up :?
      Maybe a drawing would rule I am little :? :? :?

Bein merci la les friends la

Bam!
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Al K
        • Feb 2004

Aud19,

Thanks! Sounds reasonable. If their is little improvement if any, then that would save me the hassle of routing new speaker wires. Actually, I don't have a need for a second sub. Just happen to have one from an older system. Tried your 2nd idea previously! Didn't like the effect, probably due to inferior capabilities of the sub compared to the associated equip. May have been some frequency cancellation also. I'll probably end up using it in antother room.
        Much appreciated,
        AL

Comment

• Al K
          • Feb 2004

Bam,

Simply disconnect the speaker wire from your left and right rear speakers, and connect these wires to the low level input terminals of your rear sub. Then run a new set of speaker wire from the low level output (regular speaker terminals on back of this sub) to your rear speakers. This only applies to subs with low level connectors(speaker terminals). RCA connectors on the back of a sub would be high level connectors and can't be used for this purpose. Yet to determine if this method would reap any gains.

Al

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Thanks AL K

I think I will try it :-y

Merci buckets les boys la!
            8)

Bam!
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• htjunkie
              • Feb 2004

I tried a sub with the rear speakers. Couldn't even tell it was there.

On The 8th Day, God Created Dolby Digital
              On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater. opcorn:

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"