X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishy
    • Jul 2004

RSP-1098 Updates

I was in my dealers and he mentioned that there is another software/firmware update coming out soon.

Is there any truth in this?

Fish
  • GosonFletchy
    • May 2004

No. I doubt that there is another update coming out since everything seems to be working fine with the unit now.

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Fishy,

Yes - there is an update that Rotel are working on with some more enhancements. Soon can be relative thing with Rotel depending on how their testing goes - so could be 2 weeks to several months...

Geoff

Comment

• sprout
        • Jun 2005

Hi,

Just signed up and I expect the answers I would like are here already somewhere!

I wish to update the firmware on my 1098, but unsure which I can use. It is currently displaying v2.1.1-040205

Can I go straight to V3.15?

Help will be massively welcome

Thanks

sprout

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by sprout
          Hi,

Just signed up and I expect the answers I would like are here already somewhere!

I wish to update the firmware on my 1098, but unsure which I can use. It is currently displaying v2.1.1-040205

Can I go straight to V3.15?

Help will be massively welcome

Thanks

sprout

NO NO NO

Do not under any circumstances try to install version 3 software on your machine currently running 2.X software.
          3.15 software is not an upgrade for series 2 machines. It is a separate firmaware for machines that use differring internal screens.
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Fishy
            • Jul 2004

Sprout, firstly welcome. There is a search button on the top row, trying searching for 1098+firmware.

This should give you links to posts with details on upgrading.

Fish

Comment

• sprout
              • Jun 2005

Well thanks already :E

I am still reading but will not proceed 'till I am confident, but it appears that I should use software v2.xx only

So basically not all 1098's are made equal?

I have just sold all top Denon AVC-A1SRA DVD-A11 etc to go down the pre/proc amp route.

I have now:

DVD-1060
              RT-1080

DVD is noisier than I have been use to!

Very early days, but love the look and impressed with 2 channel stereo, have not got further yet as experimenting with speakers first.

Want to update firmware to switch off that screen we all paid money for

Cheers

sprout

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Welcome Sprout,

Here is the URL you will need to download the MTTY software, instructions, and firmware (2.1.8). Please be sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

Rotel Firmware Upgrade

If you don't feel comfortable you can always take it to your dealer and they should upgrade it for you.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• sprout
                  • Jun 2005

Thanks eveyone.

I am overwhelmed by the quick responses.

I will post how I have got on, but it will be a day or two

sprout :T

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

Well thanks already :E

So basically not all 1098's are made equal?

sprout
                    All 1098's are made equal, but not identical. Rotel often has more than one source for the OEM components it incoporates into it's gear. In the case of the 1098 it is the TFT screen. Rotel switches suppliers depending on availability. The screens are all equal spec, but require different supporting drivers. Probably the only part of the 1098 with only one source is the main processor. Actually, Rotel does very well with configuration management. To date there have been only 4 different configurations to the 1098. When I was still on active duty in the Navy, my division, amongst other tasks had the resposibility of purchasing hardware and software replacement parts for the F/A-18 Hornet. The Navy had 560 Hornets at the time with 508 different configurations.
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• NewBuyer
                      • Feb 2005

DrJRapp, I am curious about something please:

You mentioned in a recent thread that the 1068 and the 1098 are not that much different from each other sonically. Since sprout wants to switch off the LCD screen, would you generally advise to somebody in this position, that they return the 1098/1075 combo for the 1068/1095 combo instead?

Comment

• sprout
                        • Jun 2005

Hi,

To be clear, I want the ability to turn off the display so that it it not glowing when I don't want it to!

I would not be without, it has lots of plus points, adding the ability to disable it just gives it another plus point

Ok, something I am not clear on:

From reading it seems you can go to Ver 2.xx from 1.xx providing you do the three stages of eeprom updates first, but cannot go to version 3.xx. This has a different driver for the TFT?

As mine is v2.1.1 does that mean that to update to 2.18 I just use that BIN file and MITTY. i.e I do not need to do the eeprom update first. Is it a correct assumption that if I have the V2.1.1 already then the 3 stages of eeprom update must have been done?

If my above points are so far correct I have one more point:

If I want to go one stage further with the eeprom update 4 to split the rear channels in 7.1, can I just use the eeprom update 4, followed by the relevant BIN or do I need to do all eeprom updtes, 1 to 4 before finally flasshing with 2.18

I appreciate all responses and accept that it is my responsibility to perform any attempted update :W

Cheers

sprout

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2003

Sprout,
                          As mine is v2.1.1 does that mean that to update to 2.18 I just use that BIN file and MITTY. i.e I do not need to do the eeprom update first. Is it a correct assumption that if I have the V2.1.1 already then the 3 stages of eeprom update must have been done?
                          Absolutely!
                          If I want to go one stage further with the eeprom update 4 to split the rear channels in 7.1, can I just use the eeprom update 4, followed by the relevant BIN or do I need to do all eeprom updtes, 1 to 4 before finally flasshing with 2.18
                          You've got it - just the EEProm 4 update is needed (though the others are harmless) :T

Geoff

Comment

• sprout
                            • Jun 2005

Aussie Geoff and others

Thanks very much

I will report later when completed.

Cheers

sprout

Comment

• DrJRapp
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by NewBuyer
                              DrJRapp, I am curious about something please:

You mentioned in a recent thread that the 1068 and the 1098 are not that much different from each other sonically. Since sprout wants to switch off the LCD screen, would you generally advise to somebody in this position, that they return the 1098/1075 combo for the 1068/1095 combo instead?
                              Let me answer that by saying that if I had to do my purchase over again, I'd go for the 1068 instead of the 1098 that I bought. Unless they are sitting side by side the two are indestinguishable sonically. Even in A/B the difference is very subtle. Mostly the 1098 has a slightly blacker background. I don't use the TFT screen for anything so it is a waste. The component imput switching has been problematical to the point that I no longer use it, so, the additional inputs for the 1098 don't enter the equation.

The only real benifit to me, if you can call it that, is the bragging rights, that I own the flagship rather than the entry level.
                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Fishy
                                • Jul 2004

Sprout, depending on you location I could pop over. Or you could always take it back to the dealer and get them to upgrade it.

Fish

Comment

• sprout
                                  • Jun 2005

Fish,

I have carried out the upgrade, display now shows v2.1.8-050308

Do not understand the relevance of 050308?

It is hot and I am entertaining the children, well nearly being drowned in their paddling pool to be precise, so the reconnecting and testing will come later tonight.

That was a massively kind offer Fish, for ref: I live in mid Somerset, where are you?

I hope I have not suffered the digital imput board death I have read about, but will let you all know.

Cheers

Comment

• sprout
                                    • Jun 2005

Quick update:

I have got lovely stereo coming via digital coax :T

So hopefully this bodes well for the rest?

That will be tomorrow now

sprout

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2003

Do not understand the relevance of 050308?

That's the release date of the firmware. I this case 2005, March 8th
                                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Fishy
                                        • Jul 2004

Sprout, good you are working ok. Sadly your a fair way away from me. London.

Fish

Comment

• sprout
                                          • Jun 2005

Fish: At least great community's like this bring us all together, regardless of distance

Jerry: Thanks for the date info, I hope I can be of help to people here in the future, and not just being helped ops:

Thanks

sprout

Comment

• Fox
                                            • Nov 2003

Is there any newes on this front?

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"