X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

the whine of RMB1075 during shutdown

Has anyone noticed that there is a high pitched whine from the surround right channel from the RMB1075 during shutdown from the trigger? Nothing from the other channels, just sR, and very repeatable. It's like a capacitor discharging itself, just as the red lights go out.

Don't worry Claude, I am not suggesting this is a reason not to buy this unit, the sound is beautiful to me and the whine only happens at midnight when I shutdown the 1068 and the triggered 1075.
  • NewBuyer
    • Feb 2005

Hi csuzor,

I do have the hiss/hum problem with my 1068/1075 combo, but have not yet noticed a shutdown whine. I will be checking for it now though.

I agree this sounds like a capacitor discharge issue - I wonder why it would be just coming from the right-surround channel?

Comment

• Claude D D
      • Jan 2003

the whine only happens at midnight
      That's kinda creepy.It could be possessed. :E

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Claude D D
        That's kinda creepy.It could be possessed. :E
        Oops, not sure if I was clear, it happens whenever I shutdown, which is usually close to midnight.
        If it happens to all, fine. But if this unit is possessed, that could be scary 8O

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Csuzor,

I don't get this from my RMB-1075...

Possession is looking likely

Geoff

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
            • May 2004

I get it on mine.... it basically goes WEEEeeeee eee e at a very low volume..

Comment

• weijst
              • Jun 2004

No problems here...
              Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

No trouble with my 1075 here. Better contact your hifi dealer.
                ~Nick

Comment

• csuzor
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Woo Wooooo
                  Aahaa! thank-you!
                  Note that if the unit is cold, and you just turn it on and off, nothing. But if you play a little music, even just in stereo, then shutdown, then the sR channel whines a high pitched sound. You have to be close to the tweeter t hear it.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                    • May 2004

It's done it since the begining when i bought it new... I t has not goten any worse and at least it is not popping the tweeters... If it gets worse I will contact Rotel......

Comment

• ajpoe
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Woo Wooooo
                      you sure it goes WEEEeeeee eee e and not Woo Wooooo? :rofl:

I have not noticed this in my 1075, I'll have to give it a listen.
                      AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• alkalay
                        • Jun 2004

A late sleeper?

Hey csuzor,

Could be that your 1075 likes to go to bed later? Maybe he'd like to hang out with you more into the night?

Itai.

Comment

• csuzor
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ajpoe
                          I have not noticed this in my 1075, I'll have to give it a listen.
                          Thanks guys, please just stand next to your surround right channel when you trigger down, and let me know if it does or does not whine.
                          I used to think the sound was the hard disk shutting down in the satellite receiver, so it is loud enough to hear from the sofa when the house is quiet.
                          If all units don't do this, then there is potentially something wrong with a few units, including my new and beloved 1075.

Comment

• A_Walk
                            • Aug 2004

My 1075 has made that same sound upon shotdown from a trigger for about 4 months. It didn't happen when i manually shut it down before the trigger. But it hasn't affected the amp's performance to me.

Comment

• phuz
                              • Jan 2003

I get the same thing on my RB-990BX, in the right channel. Always have. It hasn't gotten worse or caused any issues, and I rarely shut it down so I don't mind.
                              ==============
                              -phuz

Comment

• csuzor
                                • Nov 2004

OK, I see now...

The whine happens whether it is triggered off or shutdown with the switch.
                                And it happens on 1075 and previous models.

Fine, must be designed that way... where else could they design the discharge of that last capacitor? The speaker must be the best solution, it's a nice reactive load for a little remaining electrical charge.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"