X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

InFocus SP 5700 and whine

Hi there,
    I have in the past few weeks picked up a high pitched whine from my PJ.
    It only comes on when I feed it a signal. If it is on and the Player is not playing, the noise is not there. As soon as I play a disc, or feed a signal from the satellite receiver, then the noise starts.
    After about 30mins if I continue to play the disc, the noise then goes away.
    Any thoughts? Any similar experiences?
    Pls. help as the noise has now become a distraction while it is there.
    George. :M
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

I have a SP5000 and am seeing something fairly similar to what you're describing. If I turn it on, without any signal, it's as quiet as a projector can be. But, when there's any kind of signal, the fan noise kicks it up quite a few notches, and suddenly becomes a mini leaf blower. I haven't noticed what you've noticed, where it gets quiet after about 30 mins, it just stays loud until I turn it off. I do have both the component and DVI input occupied and it didn't do this loud fan noise, when I only had component connected. For my SP5000, there's not much of a whine, but more of a loud "whoosh" noise from the fan. Really irritating.

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

I have sent it in to the local dealers/importers and the first thing they asked me, have you serviced it every three months?
      If you haven't then the warranty is void. My dealer took the matter up with them as he had never been told this.
      Am waiting for a respones from them now. I suspect it is the colour wheel.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

well then it'll be strictly a DLP matter, 3 chip LCD designs like the SP5000 don't have any color wheels. I believe it has to do with the weather getting hot the past couple of days. Next time I use it, I'll make sure the air conditioner is on, and see if the fan kicks up louder.

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

I also had thought that it had to do with the heat, but Infocus got back to me yesterday and said it was the fan and not the color wheel, that was on its way out.
          They will fix it as it is just under the guarantee, but it will take 4weeks, since they have to get the fan from the states.
          4weeks!

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I've been curious whether or not people have had problems with color-wheel bearings....

Fan bearings go even easier.
            ~Nick

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

Update

Infocus got back to me today, it is not the fan but the colour wheel(as i thought in the first place). It will still take 4weeks, but they will give me a loan unit. :T

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"