Rotel RC-1070/RB-1080 with B&W speaker 703 or 804S?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Rotel RC-1070/RB-1080 with B&W speaker 703 or 804S?

Hi,
    Does anyone own combo RC-1070/RB-1080 and B&W speaker 703 or 804S? What is your opinion?

thanks.
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

I heard the 703's on a RC-1070/RB-1070 and it wasn't good at all... the RA-1062 actually sounded better! Things could be even worse with the 804S's. Finally I didn't get a Rotel amp for my 703's... but maybe that the RB-1080 could do the trick

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

I have a RC-1070/RB-1070 combo that drives some N804. I am very happy with the setup. Initially I was going to buy the RSX-1055 but the amp/pre sounded so much cleaner - better sound stage. I did not like the 703 when compared to the N804 - which I bought at the same price as the 703.

Comment

• Mitchell
        • Sep 2004

I have a 1080 and 703's and I like the sound.
        Very controlled, good articulate bass and a great midrange. Some recordings seem to have a slightly accentuated high end but most dont.
        Good recordings sound amazing in all genres and bad recordings particularly rock and roll seem to show all the flaws. I cant really describe it but on bad rock recordings I can hear the production.
        Even most old jazz recordings sound great and everything from Neil Young and Steely Dan and the Whos later recordings sound amazing.
        Hope this is helpful.
        Mitchell

Comment

• nyny
          • Jul 2004

I had an extensive listening session with the RB1080/RC1090 with 703 and 804S, I was disappointed with the bass control. Bass sounded a bit muddy and could over power the overall sound quality.
          Tony

Comment

• jltrdavis
            • Jan 2003

I've got the 804S and the RC-1070/rb-1070 combo for a few days. I think the sound is great. Although the sound is a bit too forward for me at times, so I opting for the 1080 instead (RB-1070 is just on loan from the dealer). I hope 1080 will calm things down a little, my dealer seemed to think it would.

I listened to the 703's on a $10k McIntosh system and the 804's on a RX-1052. Even with the disparity in the source quality, the 804's were easily the better sounding speaker to me.
            - Jason

Comment

• Mitchell
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by nyny
              I had an extensive listening session with the RB1080/RC1090 with 703 and 804S, I was disappointed with the bass control. Bass sounded a bit muddy and could over power the overall sound quality.
              Funny, I have the exact opposite impression. I find the bass very articulated and quite nice. Especially after I got Sound Anchors which were only to help solve a noise issue. The exact opposite of muddy is how I would describe it. Especially after some break in. I guess we all hear differently.
              Mitchell

Comment

• shep
                • Dec 2004

rb/rc 1070 and 804N

I am very happy with this combination. Even with a very long run of (12 guage) speaker wire, the rb1070 has good control over the speakers. Originally planned to upgrade to the 1080, but I don't think it is necessary at this point.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Audiofan,

I have an RC-1070 and RB-1080 combination driving a pair of B&W CDM9NT speakers. As you probably know the 9NTs were the previous model to the 703s and sound very very similar. I really like the sound of my system but would like to make a couple of observations...

1. Prior to buying the RB-1080 I owned a Harman Hardon PA2400 power amp (120 watts into 8 ohms). Upgradeitis compelled me to buy the RB-1080. The difference in sound and power between the two amps is negligible. I ran an extensive A/B comparison one afternoon to convince myself that there was a difference, but I failed! (In case you're wondering, I wasn't able to audition the RB-1080 first as my hometown isn't exactly the centre of the hi-fi universe).

2. Recently I purchased a B&W ASW-750 sub to make up for the lack of bass on the 9NTs (this isn't peculiar to the 9NTs - I think that ALL small-woofer speakers lack bass if you like listening to music at volume). The ASW-750 upgrade has made a HUGE difference to the sound of my system. I love the sound now.

With hindsight, the money spent on the RB-1080 would probably have been better put aside for a future upgrade of the 9NTs to 8-series speakers. This confirms my belief that speakers play the biggest part by far in getting the sound that you want, not amps, pre-amps, source or cables, assuming that a reasonable standard is adopted for those components.

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                    This confirms my belief that speakers play the biggest part by far in getting the sound that you want, not amps, pre-amps, source or cables, assuming that a reasonable standard is adopted for those components.
                    bigburner, I would caution that a little.. 8O Any part of a system can be the "bottleneck". I would never had bought 703's if I only had heard them on a RB-1070 amp. And I wouldn't have bought such a system without a good CD player because (RCD1072) because another CD player (like the RDV1050 used for redbook CD's) makes the system sound like one at half it's price.

IMHO, an audio system is a whole; all the parts must be well maried together.

But yes, the speakers is often whats the most worth upgrading... :T

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Fair comment jim777. The lesson I really learnt was that I didn't need to upgrade a component that was already absolutely fine. However the good news from this 'mistake' is that I have another amp (the old Harman Kardon PA2400) that will be perfect for a future upgrade when I want to drive another pair of speakers!

Hey, an ASW-750 would go beautifully with your 703s...

Comment

• jim777
                        • Mar 2005

A sub! :g> I'll wait to leave for a house first... :lol:

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"