X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan_MF
    • Apr 2003

RDV-1060 coming to my HT soon!

I'll be picking one up, along with all the necessary MIT cables, on Friday afternoon. I'll post a review once I've had a chance to view and listen. I have high expectations! My Rotel setup will be complete!

BTW, can anyone recommend some DVD-A albums to try?
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

Do you like Metallica? I have only one DVD-A so far, and it's their "black" album. There are discrete stereo and multichannel layers and the latter is a doozy. Listen to it in the dark. But make sure all your speaker levels are calibrated first. And use test tones/pink noise from an external disc, not the unit's internal test tones.

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Congratulations on the purchase Ryan. I have probably 20 DVD-A's. Let me know the type of music you like and I'll try to make a recommendation.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• dave
        • Aug 2003

Ryan, Here are a few that I've accumulated, If you like Steely Dan, theres "Gaucho" Very nice mix on this one, Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" then theres Americas second album "Homecoming" this one is very nicely done. If you enjoy the Doobie Brothers music try The Captain & Me it is the absolute best I,ve heard them sound, then theres Yes, "Fragile" They took a mediocre recording and gave it wings, Emerson Lake & Palmer , "Brain Salad Surgery" This one has as a bonus track "Lucky Man" The entire disc is very good but the way they mastered Lucky Man You would have to hear it to believe it, Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" This also gives the buyer "Silver Springs" once again a very nice job on the mastering end of things, Lastly The Beach Boys " Pet Sounds" also a really good job on the mastering , Have fun hunting!!!

dave
        Dave...

Comment

• skipm
          • Jun 2003

I second Dave's recomendation of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours and The Beach Boys Pet Sounds. I'll add two of my favorites. The Corr's In Blue is really good and my all time favorite is Grover Washington Jr.'s Winelight. This was my favorite album 20 years ago and now it is my favorite DVD-Audio. It's great for seduction and speaker demostrations. What more can you ask!

-Skip

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by will1066
            But make sure all your speaker levels are calibrated first. And use test tones/pink noise from an external disc, not the unit's internal test tones.
            Is this a rule for thumb for all prepros? If so, I've been doing it wrong for years 8O

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
            GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Generally yes you should use an external check disk but with the rotel 1055, 1066 and to a lesser degree the 1098 I've found the rotel internal test tones to be fairly accurate with respect to ballancing. What they can't do though is provide you with a reference level equal to Avia or VE. Besides you need Avia or VE to calibrate your monitor anyway.

Comment

• will1066
                • Aug 2003

Spoonman, as Andrew said, the Rotel's test tones are pretty accurate compared to my calibrations using my THX Optimizer disc. I used this disc to calibrate my 1066. Then, I started listening to 5.1 SACD and DVD-A on my Denon DVD-2900 and the surrounds were lacking. I had calibrated it using its internal test tones. So I recalibrated using the THX Optimizer disc and found the rears were almost 3 decibels lower than the fronts. So the Denon's internal test tones were off the mark. If you want to be 100% sure you're calibrated correctly, use a reference test disc like the ones Andrew mentioned.

Comment

• spiffnme
                  • Apr 2003

Another thumbs up vote for 'Rumours'. That's a great disc.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                  All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

My vote for rumours is now also accounted for

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                    Jason

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                      • Sep 2003

Andrew and Will..thanks for the heads up.

I've had Video Essentials for what? Going on 3 or 4 years now? And I always passed up the audio calibrations because I assumed the ones in my Elite receiver were sufficient. Time to to break out the sound meter..

I'll let you know of any difference in dB readings.

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Kamakiriad by Donald Fagen is very good. I also tend to like both Chicago releases (II & V). Rumours, Captain & Me, and the other Steely Dan/Donald Fagen's listed above. Do you like smooth Jazz? I've got a couple of beauts if you're interested.

Jim
                        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• jamesa
                          • Sep 2003

anyone had a chance to sample linkin park's reanimation?

I love some of the tracks on that cd...

-- james

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SpOoNmAn
                            Andrew and Will..thanks for the heads up.

I've had Video Essentials for what? Going on 3 or 4 years now? And I always passed up the audio calibrations because I assumed the ones in my Elite receiver were sufficient. Time to to break out the sound meter..

I'll let you know of any difference in dB readings.
                            *UPDATE*

I finally got around to setting levels with VE running thru my Pioneer Elite DV-05 dvd player...

ALL channels trim levels stayed unchanged except for the LFE. With using pre/pros testones, the sub was set to -6 @ 75 dB.....with VE, it was @ 79dB.

I was expecting atleast some changes to other channels but it looks like I was mistaken...nothing new here! LOL :P

GameTracker -My List-

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"