X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

looking for a pure "Class A" amplifier

Hi,

Is anyone aware of any manufacture that does a pure Class A amplifier design? Only one I can think of is Pass-Labs.
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

There are a bunch out there. My little Marantz integrated is Class A for the first 25 or so watts. With reasonably efficient speakers you can do great sonic damage with Class A!
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• recca
      • Feb 2006

Monarchy Audio SM-70 and SM-70 pro are pure class A. They sound really nice when run as Balanced Monoblocks. Pretty easy to find used on Audiogon. Stress the balanced part, really makes a big difference for them.

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

One of the lines I have access to Audia Flight does.
        Greg

Comment

• dtb300
          • Apr 2007

Plinius Audio has amplifiers with a toggle-switch for selectable A/B or A modes.
          Pictures for those that need to see...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dtb300; 05 January 2009, 08:59 Monday.

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

If you check the specs on the Audia , you'll notice it "doubles down" as ohms decrease. A pure class A amp generally needs a hefty power supply-never a bad thing in an amp. The Monarchy Audio specs seem similar.
            Just bear in mind , Class A amps put out some heat-you'll need proper ventilation. Some of the Krells can double as space heaters!
            While I don't know GregLett personally , his posts indicate a familiarity with quality gear-being a forum sponsor doesn't hurt either!
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I know a couple people that have done business with him and he seems pretty stand up

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                Hi,

Is anyone aware of any manufacture that does a pure Class A amplifier design? Only one I can think of is Pass-Labs.
                The Krell KAV-400xi is pure Class A. At a good price as well. Note the extra room for the power supply to diissapate heat.

(Edit: I see that Lee has mentioned them already.)
                Russ

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Russ , that Krell is a beast! I would love to get my paws on one. Good call!
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• krek
                    • Jun 2005

xindak?

This 26 kg unit only costs around 900 euro's in Europe. I would like to hear it perform..

Comment

• twitch54
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                      The Krell KAV-400xi is pure Class A. At a good price as well. Note the extra room for the power supply to diissapate heat.

Calling it 'pure Class A' is some what of a stretch, for it does so UP TO the driver/ output stage only.
                      Dave

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Still want one. Maybe two.
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by krek
                          xindak?

This 26 kg unit only costs around 900 euro's in Europe. I would like to hear it perform..

A lot of stuff from Red China looks very good. Still the enemies of my country so I'd have to pass. Doesn't affect the sound quality at all , but I'm cursed with patriotism.
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
                            One of the lines I have access to Audia Flight does.
                            http://www.audia.it/uk/audia_flight_50.html
                            very nice, I would be worried buying Italian electronics QA is not their forte on the other hand design is sublime
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• krek
                              • Jun 2005

Red Rose amps are made in China (AKA Dusson). B&W is made in China. The german company Vincent is importing and re-labelling from China (AKA Sheng Ya). Grohe sanitary ware is made in China.

Comment

• H.T.C
                                • Nov 2003

Originally posted by wettou
                                very nice, I would be worried buying Italian electronics QA is not their forte on the other hand design is sublime
                                Sonus faber and opera speakers are italian which produce very good speakers and customer service must be as well or the absolute sound and stereophile mag would have made a statement to the opposite.
                                Robert

Comment

• H.T.C
                                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Alaric
                                  A lot of stuff from Red China looks very good. Still the enemies of my country so I'd have to pass. Doesn't affect the sound quality at all , but I'm cursed with patriotism.
                                  In the political sense you would have too stay away from b+w/roy hall and just about any consumer electronic giant or manufacturer out there.
                                  Robert

Comment

• Face
                                    • Mar 2007

Here's my Class A baby.

SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Victor
                                      • Apr 2002

Face,

Nice picture! Looks like a DIY effort. Can you tell us more about your amp and where did you get those heatsinks?
                                      Victor

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2007

Hi Face,

Really nice work! To guess, I'd say it is a Nelson Pass F5? Then again I don't see a thermistor, well tell us know what that it is!
                                        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Russ L
                                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by twitch54
                                          Calling it 'pure Class A' is some what of a stretch, for it does so UP TO the driver/ output stage only.
                                          I'm not the only one to make that "stretch". Here is Philip Beaudette from Soundstage reviewing the KAV-400xi: "A low-negative-feedback design that features a fully balanced signal path from input to output. All circuitry up to the driver stage is pure class A." :W
                                          Russ

Comment

• twitch54
                                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                                            I'm not the only one to make that "stretch". Here is Philip Beaudette from Soundstage reviewing the KAV-400xi: "A low-negative-feedback design that features a fully balanced signal path from input to output. All circuitry up to the driver stage is pure class A." :W
                                            Not sure what your point is ????? for what you quoted is eactly what I said ???

FYI, "Pure Class 'A' throught" INCLUDES the output stages !

besides anybody looking at the pics of that thing could easily see that the outputs are not biased class A with those meager heat sinks !!!!
                                            Dave

Comment

• joetama
                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by dtb300
                                              Plinius Audio has amplifiers with a toggle-switch for selectable A/B or A modes.
                                              Pictures for those that need to see...
                                              Those are some expensive looking heatsinks... :T
                                              -Joe

Comment

• Russ L
                                                • Jul 2006

Not sure what your point is ????? for what you quoted is eactly what I said ???

FYI, "Pure Class 'A' throught" INCLUDES the output stages !

besides anybody looking at the pics of that thing could easily see that the outputs are not biased class A with those meager heat sinks !!!!
                                                The point is that I was citing "pure Class A" from that quote from the Soundstage! reviewer in response to the OP. If the reviewer and/or engineer feels that enough of the design is Class A to call it "pure Class A" even if its only "up to the output stage" then who am I to argue. I suppose one of you is right or maybe both. I count on you engineers to keep me informed! My last post was made in a lighthearted fashion and in partial jest. Some of us don't take amp topology quite so seriously and are here for the end result- the music!
                                                Russ

Comment

• dtb300
                                                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                                                  Those are some expensive looking heatsinks... :T
                                                  It can be expensive, but if you are in the right place at the right time, it can be purchased at a significant discount.

The Plinius has to be one of the best sounding SS amps I have heard to date. Before purchasing I listened to many SS and Tube amps and the Plinius won out handily. None of the amps gave me the sound quality, frequency extensions, and control of my panels all in one package like the Plinius did.

The Plinius in A/B mode it is a very nice sounding amp, but in Class A it is a whole 'nother beast. In A, it has phenomenal midrange, sweet highs, and controlled authoritative bass.

Best thing about the amp is the user gets to select when to run A/B or A, so you have the heater mode when you want it.

Comment

• joetama
                                                    • May 2006

It can be expensive, but if you are in the right place at the right time, it can be purchased at a significant discount.

The Plinius has to be one of the best sounding SS amps I have heard to date. Before purchasing I listened to many SS and Tube amps and the Plinius won out handily. None of the amps gave me the sound quality, frequency extensions, and control of my panels all in one package like the Plinius did.

The Plinius in A/B mode it is a very nice sounding amp, but in Class A it is a whole 'nother beast. In A, it has phenomenal midrange, sweet highs, and controlled authoritative bass.

Best thing about the amp is the user gets to select when to run A/B or A, so you have the heater mode when you want it.

I agree, Plinius are some very nice amplifiers. After building my own amplifier heatsinks are one of the things that draw my attention. I remember those type heatsinks being pretty steep. But they look cool and have a lot of surface area which makes them very useful.
                                                    -Joe

Comment

• dtb300
                                                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by joetama
                                                      I agree, Plinius are some very nice amplifiers. After building my own amplifier heatsinks are one of the things that draw my attention. I remember those type heatsinks being pretty steep. But they look cool and have a lot of surface area which makes them very useful.
                                                      And the Plinius heat sinks really work well. I have measured temps around 150F right where the sinks meet the chassis in Class A. You can put you hand there for just a second or so before it gets really hot But at the very end of the sinks you can keep you hand there for quite a bit longer. A true testament on how well they dissipate the heat. In A/B mode the amps run very cool to the touch - almost no heat at all.

Remember kids do not try the above unless you have direct adult supervision - and then do not try it :rofl:

Comment

• twitch54
                                                        • Apr 2006

Remember kids do not try the above unless you have direct adult supervision - and then do not try it :rofl:
                                                        You know Dan, with my 'Plinny' sitting idle in the corner maybe I should fire it up tomorrow AM and cook breakfast !
                                                        Dave

Comment

• dtb300
                                                          • Apr 2007

You know Dan, with my 'Plinny' sitting idle in the corner maybe I should fire it up tomorrow AM and cook breakfast !
                                                          Naw, I think you should sell it to me for use as Mono's in my setup.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"