X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Power button, settings, RSX-1055

I have temporarily set-up my new RSX-1055 to make sure all is working correctly. It has the latest firmware.

The current set-up is 2 channel. Just the basics for right now. I went into the set-up menu and changed the front main channels to "large". I set all the rest to "none". I turned the subwoofer to "off".

I pressed "CD" as the input and have been playing cd's. All works as it should.

At the end of the night, I went over to the RSX-1055 and physically pressed the power button so the unit was off. Upon turning the unit back on, "TUNER" is displayed in the window. I thought that was odd. But when I changed the input back to "CD", I noticed that the LFE channel also showed. When I went back into the set-up menu, all 5 channels were back "ON" again??! And they were all set to small.

I have repeated this several times, when the 1055 is turned off using the power button on the unit itself, all the set-up that I have done is lost.

Is this normal??? In the manual I found the following: "In standby mode, minimal power is still supplied to memory circuits to preserve settings". Does this mean that you have to turn the unit off with the remote only, into standby mode only?? What if the power goes off, all settings are lost?

Is this correct, that I cannot physically press the power button on the unit itself, without loosing all the settings??

Thank you to anyone who can help.
  • Glenn
    • Jun 2003

Time-out

I've re-read the whole manual, and I'm again now on the very LAST page. Perhaps "User default settings" must be changed to be YES?

I don't have time to try right now (will do so tonight), but this likely is it. Can anyone confirm this is what I need to address, so that my settings are saved when I physically turn the unit off with the power button?

Thank you.

Comment

• Tha Freak
      • Jul 2003

I always put it in standby mode (turned off with the remote)

I don't see why you want to physically turn it off on the unit??? what is the point of doing that? (no offence here )

is there anything to gain while doing that?

- - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?
      -Mr. Blond in Reservoir Dogs
      - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

On my 1066, which is pretty much the same deal, I always set my "User Default" to "Yes" after I've made adjustments. So, I suspect that it is reverting to factory settings if you're not doing so. I've just never tried it elsewise, so I can't be absolutely certain though, but it has never lost a setting I've made. Let us know if it works for you.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Glenn
          • Jun 2003

Keith

That's exactly what the solution was. Thanks! And I'm now back to normal blood pressure.

Tha Freak

As for phsically turning the unit off, I just want to be able to have that option available. I now realize it is possible to do, without loosing all the settings. I was also concerned, wondering about if the power went out. Solution as mentioned, save the user settings.

Comment

• Glenn
            • Jun 2003

As I've now been able to use my 1055 for several days, I unfortunately must report that the original problem seems to have re-appeared. But now it seems to be intermittent.

Via the Main Menu I made a few adjustments. Speakers to large, no sub, CD and tuner to stereo.

Previously I mentioned that when I physically turned off the 1055 using the power button on the unit, when I next turned it back on, all my settings were gone. This seemed to be addressed/corrected when I went to Default Setup and chose User Default to be Yes. The unit clicked, turned itself off and back on, and that seemed to save my settings.

I have been physically turning the unit off at night using the power button, and all was working fine. All my settings continued to be saved upon turning back on the unit.

I added in some radio stations, all still was fine. Used it some more. Used the power button off and on, all still fine.

Today, when I turned the unit on, all radio stations were lost, and my settings are gone. All speakers are back once again to small, sub to yes etc. - the factory defaults.

I redid all the settings, added radio stations, saved the changes. All was ok. Off, on. All ok. Later off, on. Everything was lost.

At this point I don't know really even what to ask, other than has anyone else had a similar problem?

And just to be clear, can someone explain the difference between the following:

Main Menu
            Default Setup
            User Default: Yes/No
            User Default Set: Yes/No

I have been saving my changes by using the User Default option and choosing YES. As mentioned, the unit clicks, turns itself off then back on. Is this how it should work? Is this also the place to save setup changes?

Second, what is the User Default Set. I began thinking that maybe this should be YES, indicating that the user choices should be used upon power up. When I enter YES, the menu changes back to the main menu. When I go back into Default Setup to see if it now says YES, it does not. Is this how it should work? Yes never shows? What is the User Default Set for anyway?

So aside from clarifying the Default Setup menu, all I know is that something is not quite right with my new 1055. And I'm now frustrated with all of this.

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Glenn,

Try "User Default Set" to "Yes", leaving everything else as is and see if that works.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Glenn
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Danbry39
                Try "User Default Set" to "Yes", leaving everything else as is and see if that works.
                Keith, do you mean try putting "User Defauly Set" to "Yes" to see if I can get that setting to stay at "Yes"? If so, I tried again last night, and no matter what I do, the "User Default Set" always shows as "No". Even when I change it to "Yes" and press an up arrow key (instead of enter), so I can see what it does, it automatically changes back to "No".

When going into the "Default Menu Setup", should we be able to have the option of seeing "User Default Set" showing either "Yes" or "No"? Again, mine ALWAYS says "No", I cannot get it to stay to "Yes". Does that sound right?

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Set everything up the way you like it, then go to "User Default Set" Use the arrow button to get it to "yes". Press the "enter" button, which will take you back to the main settings menu. Turn off the menu and see if that works. It has always worked for me doing it this way. I think it always defaults to "no" when you reenter the menu, but see if the settings you made aren't the same as when you first pressed the "yes". Really hope this works Glenn. I know you gotta be frustrated right now.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• Glenn
                    • Jun 2003

Keith

Tried your exact suggested steps. My settings did save when going through the process of setting "User Default Set" to "Yes". And I can confirm, the "User Default Set" does show "No" anytime you go back into the menu. So I will accept this as normal. As an aside, I am still uncertain what the difference between "User Default" and "User Default Set" is. Seems like both save my settings when changing either to "Yes", with the first one turning the receiver off then back on in the process.

However, more critically, and very unfortunately the original problem still exists. When I physically use the power button to turn the 1055 off, sometimes my settings are still there when I next turn it back on, and other times, all my settings are lost. There is no duplicating when the settings are lost. I have spent hours trying to figure this out. It simply is an intermittent problem. Total luck of the draw if all my settings and radio stations will be there when I next turn it on, or if they will all be wiped out.

At this point, I don't think it's me, I think it's the 1055. I've tried everything I can think of. I believe it's time to go back to the dealer to see what he suggests. It's unfortunate and definitely frustrating.

I would like to thank you for using your time, in helping me try and solve my Rotel problem. It's appreciated Keith.

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

Yeah, I'm sorry Glenn. You might want to contact Mike at Rotel and describe what you're experiencing. I know it works for me on my 1066 and I felt 1055's ran the same way. Either I'm missing something (my hope) or your unit is having a problem. It seems to me like you've tried pretty much every option.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• Glenn
                        • Jun 2003

I've just e-mailed Rotel for their assistance. Hopefully they can offer a solution.

Comment

• stjoenewt
                          • Jul 2003

Glenn,

Let me know what you find out from ROTEL. I just got a 1055 and would be interested in information about it. Mine also won't keep the "user default set" as "yes", but I haven't experienced any other lost settings yet.

Mike
                          Mike

Comment

• Glenn
                            • Jun 2003

Per an e-mail from Rotel tech:

"User Default Set" will save your settings. Engage this option after you have made all your preference adjustments. "User Default" will return your saved settings if something has been changed. However, "Factory Default" will also clear "User Default".

-----

We are going to discuss over the phone, the intermittent loss of all settings, when using the power button. Hopefully that call will be tomorrow.

Comment

• Glenn
                              • Jun 2003

Just received a phone call from Rotel / Tim Wyatt. Had not previously heard of this particular problem of loosing all setting when using the power button.

His suggested action for now is to not use the power button, and only turn the unit off via the remote control, into stand-by mode. I am to try this for a couple weeks and report the findings.

Comment

• Glenn
                                • Jun 2003

An update, and to ask if any other 1055 owners have experienced the problem I am having as described in this thread. I think there have been some new 1055 purchases, as of late. Are all working as they should?

As per Rotel / Tim Wyatt's suggestion, for the past week I have been turning off my 1055 using only the remote control, putting the unit into stand-by mode only. I have not touched the actual power button on the unit itself. I have been turning the unit off and on, using the remote, throughout the day many times. Also have been turning it off at night, using the remote. All has worked fine. Each time I turn the unit back on, all my user settings are still there. Nothing has been lost. I have given it a good workout during this week.

Tonight I decided to physically turn the unit off, using the actual power button on the unit itself. When I turned it back on everything was still fine, all my user settings remained.

A while later, I turned the unit off once again using the actual power button. This time when I turned the unit back on, all my user settings were lost. As well, all my radio station settings were also lost.

This is the exact problem that I initially experienced and reported, with the 1055 right out of the box. I just sent another e-mail to Rotel/Tim Wyatt advising my findings. Hopefully a solution will be offered.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

That's very odd indeed. Keep us posted on what Tim has to say

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                                    • Oct 2003

i will try this and see what happens. i will report back to this thread in the next couple of days.

Comment

• Glenn
                                      • Jun 2003

Thanks. Will watch for your comments. Hopefully your Rotel is working properly.

I received an email from Rotel/Tim today, stating they had a meeting about the problem I am experiencing and he is now waiting to hear back from engineering.

Comment

• simonb68
                                        • Jan 2003

Hi Glenn, probably not much use to you, but perhaps some comfort. I have had this happen to me once on my 1055, unit was about 6 months old at the time. I had been watching a film one night, turned it off (can't remember which mode, but I generally power right off), turned it on the next morning to listen to the radio and all settings were gone. The night before had been very warm, and I suspected something might have overloaded. I was going to contact Rotel but it has never happened since, so I just put it down as one of those things. The only annoying thing was that I had just recently tuned in and preset loads of radio stations.

By the way, I have never set User Defaults, it just saved the settings for me. I think User Defaults are so you can set a base setting, then tweak for a particular sitting, then revert back to base.

Hope you get a solution soon
                                        Simon

Comment

• maddog
                                          • Oct 2003

I have a 1055 that I bought about 6 months ago. I turn it completely off (not standby) using the power button on the Rotel quite a bit; e.g., when there is a thunderstorm, before I go out of town, and before I change an interconnect or cable. I have never had my user settings lost when doing this. I also have never done anything with the "User Default" and "User Default Set". They both display "No". I have only used "Factory Default" once, and it displays "No" also.

Comment

• Glenn
                                            • Jun 2003

Simon

Thank you very much for your comments. In my attempt to think of every possible cause of the problem, I also considered maybe the unit was getting too hot. It is in an open rack, but I thought to eliminate any doubt I moved it to the top shelf, so it had complete airflow from every side. Unfortunately, it still lost all the settings and radio stations at one point. It's exactly as you experienced, so you definitely understand what I am describing. It is extremely frustrating, especially since the unit is brand new and doesn't work as it should. Just waiting on a decision from Rotel on what to do.

Maddog

Also appreciate your comments. Thank you. Your description of how and why you turn the unit completely off using the power button, is basically for the same reasons that I want the ability to use the power button. It may be more common to only use the off button on the remote, however to not have the ability to actually turn the unit off via the power button, of course does not make any sense. I am glad to know that you use the actual power button and have not seen any lost settings etc. This illustrates a proper functioning 1055 to me.

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                                              • Oct 2003

glenn, i will try tonight and post what happens. but just let me get a few things straight. when you turn the unit off from the main power button on the unit itself it should:

1)remember all radio station pre-sets.

2)remember all speaker settings (ie. small/large, subwoofer-yes/no)

3)remember what input/output source that was last selected

do have these all right? now my next question is how long should the unit remember these settings once the power is completely off? i know for my old AVR, once i unplugged the cord the radio pre-sets would be reset.

should the 1055 have the settings in definite "memory"?

again i will try tonight and post.

Comment

• simonb68
                                                • Jan 2003

Glenn, yes I can fully understand your frustration, once was bad enough for me. Whilst Rotel do seem to be trying to resolve your problem, it's clearly a faulty unit and I can't help thinking that it's a hardware fault and therefore the unit is likely going to need to be replaced anyway. If it were me I'd ask my dealer for a replacement and let Rotel arrange the return of the unit for them to inspect it.

Simon

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                                                  • Oct 2003

glenn: well i just turned the power on and off on the unit and all of my settings remained. i also have left the unit off for over 20 minutes and everything was still there.

so with that said, i am sure that you have a defective unit and should have the dealer where you bought it from take it back and promptly give you a refund. let me know if there is anything else that i can do to help out.
                                                  good luck

Comment

• Glenn
                                                    • Jun 2003

Art

Thank your for taking the time in testing your unit and relaying the results to me. To answer your question, I have seen the user settings and radio stations lost with varying lengths of time during the off period. I have lost settings turning the unit off at night and turning it back on in the morning, I have lost settings turning the unit off and turning it back on an hour later, I have also lost settings turning the unit off and turning it back on 30 seconds later. Also, as my saga has detailed, during all three of these time frames, on different occassions, I have also turned the unit back on with the settings not lost.

Simon
                                                    I agree with you, it's my conclusion that the unit is faulty, plain and simple. And as you stated, I think Rotel should take the unit back and replace it. Let them deal with the problem on their time. I must admit, though, to date Rotel has been very good at recognizing the problem, and they are working towards a solution. They are not ignoring or downplaying the problem to date. It's now time for a solution though. I've had the unit for 3 weeks and am tired of troubleshooting instead of enjoying my new purchase.

Comment

• Glenn
                                                      • Jun 2003

I want to thank everyone who has responded to this thread, I really do appreciate the help.

Since (fortunately) no one else seems to have the same problem that I am experiencing with my 1055, I will leave this as my last comment on the subject. I've described all I can, and I don't think anything further is really of too much interest to the main group.

I did receive an e-mail from Rotel today stating:

"We have been given a circuit modification from our Engineering Department. Please let me know if you would like to make arrangements to send your receiver in for this modification."

I am unclear on the details of this modification. Did the engineers find an actual design problem? What are they actually going to modify?? Are all 1055 units affected, so others will also need this modification? I am puzzled as to how this receiver is going to be fixed and why it doesn't work new out of the box.

I posed these questions back to Rotel tonight. Tomorrow I am going back to my dealer and will ask for his input and suggestions.

Again, thanks to everyone at Club Rotel. It's an awesome shared base of knowledge and help.

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                                                        • Oct 2003

glenn: hmmmm that is a very interesting turn of events. if it is a redesign of one of the circuit boards, then that would lead to the conclusion that it would be applicable to all 1055's should it not? now you have me wondering. perhaps i should leave it off overnight and see what the outcome is.

if you could please post what rotel has to say about that fact.

Comment

• will1066
                                                          • Aug 2003

For what it's worth, remember that big Northeast blackout in August? My 1066 (always with Standby as the power mode) was running when power was cut off. It took me a few seconds to realize my entire house was without power. I stepped out the door and all my neighbors were out too saying no power. I pressed the power button out (Off position). I was one of the last ones in NYC to get power again, 27 hours later. I pressed the power button, the LED lighted, hit power on the remote and to my shock, nothing was lost. All my settings were there and I had not touched anything in the Default menu (every setting was No).

So, go figure. Even now, I have never touched anything in the Default menu. Tonight, I will do a full power off and see what happens. I'm writing my settings down ,though, just in case. :LOL:

Comment

• art vandeleigh
                                                            • Oct 2003

will1066: that is great, that you didnt have any of the problems that glenn has. but does the 1055 and the 1066 share the same internal circuit board that rotel is looking to fix?

Originally posted by will1066
                                                            Tonight, I will do a full power off and see what happens. I'm writing my settings down ,though, just in case. :LOL:
                                                            there goes faith running out the window :LOL: :LOL:

Comment

Working...
                                                            😀
                                                            😂
                                                            🥰
                                                            😘
                                                            🤢
                                                            😎
                                                            😞
                                                            😡
                                                            👍
                                                            👎
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"