X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • italia
    • Sep 2003

Help! Won't turn on after firmware update

Just got my RSX-1055 and checked my firmware version by hitting the mute button and this is what the LCD display read: V2.2.5_030225. I guess that means that I have V2.25, right? So downloaded the latest version - which is good, because I am hearing a terrible popping noise when I change channels and manuever through a DVD. Is the update going to fix that?

Anyway I just went through the whole process with my old laptop running Win 95 and everything appeared to work great - everything went according to the instructions, but now the receiver wont turn on! No light, no LCD display, nothing. Went through the process twice and got the same negative result.

Please help, thanks.
  • cofn
    • Dec 2002

Stupid question, but you did switch the little dip switches back to the proper position on the back of the unit right?

Comment

• italia
      • Sep 2003

Yes, I did. I really think I did everything according to the instuctions.

One thing that I did notice was that when you are supposed to turn on the receiver during the process, the instructions say that the LCD display will not light up - mine did not - which is good - but neither did the red power button. I am just wondering if that might be something. From the time just after I started the upgrade until now, the receiver is just dead.

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

If you can, you might try it with something other than Windows 95 and see if that works. Other than that, make sure it is truly off and not just on standby. It's frustrating at times, but there should be a solution.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• italia
          • Sep 2003

Yeah, that was my next move. I am running XP on my desktop, but I was going to at least try that next.

Does this sound weird though... "One thing that I did notice was that when you are supposed to turn on the receiver during the upload process (step 14), the instructions say that the LCD display will not light up - mine did not - which is good - but neither did the red power button. I am just wondering if that might be something." Is the power light supposed to come on at this step?

Update:
          I spoke to a sales rep and he had me take off the cover to see if a fuse was blown. To me the two fuses next to the power input look fine (the glass is clear).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hmm which latpop are you using? Some people have reported that their notebook wouldn't work but someone elses did. I've used IBM's and Dells and they're worked but compac often doesn't work :roll: Other then that tripple check to make sure your power settings are set correctly, that the dip switches are fully down when updating and fully up when turning the unit back on, that the cable is seated properly both in the Rotel and on your notebook and that there's no bent pins.

Comment

• italia
              • Sep 2003

Let it be known that a Compac laptop with Windows 95 does not work. But my Sony Vaio desktop with Windows XP sure does. Man... that was not fun.

Thanks for all the help.... upgraded 1055 is up and running. Now I just need to hook it back up and see if my popping issue is solved.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

once again compac rises to the top of the dung heap

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Italia,

I believe the issues were related to the OS (Win'95).

Andrew, is this a trend with Compaq machines regardless of the OS?

Regards,

Arman

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I think its the Machine not the OS since it always seems to be a compac that has problems both with Rotel and Sony and if it were the OS surely we'd hear about other machines having problems not just Compac's.

Comment

• jeffst
                      • Feb 2003

FYI, my Compaq laptop running WinXP worked fine.
                      Jeff

Comment

• Ron Reda
                        • Jan 2003

Italia,

The same thing happened to me when I tried upgrading my firmware using a laptop running Windows 95. No fear...just try it again using a PC running 2000 and up and you should be okay. You can also search on my threads as I documented my experience with this same issue in this forum a while back. Good luck!

Comment

• Ron Reda
                          • Jan 2003

Double post... ops:

Comment

• Rock Dog
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2003

Maybe it had something to do with the default comm settings. XP would have a much higher baud rate set as a default, where 95 starts out at 9,600. Could it have been the settings for the serial port? :Hmmm...

I have a couple other pieces of equipment, not audio. That require firmware updates using a serial connection. They are very stingy about the default baud rate for the connection. Anything lower than 14,400 is a no go.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"