RSP-1098 Firmware updates - any new news?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kneptune
    • Jan 2004

RSP-1098 Firmware updates - any new news?

Anyone aware of any new news on a pending firmware/feature update for the 1098?

There have been rumblings for months that a significant update is about to be released, but yet nothing, other than the recent v2.1.3 which only added a couple of small changes.

I'm hoping that Rotel will put out a blockbuster firmware release and better yet, with an accompanying hardware upgrade (better DACs, etc). I don't know about others, but I would be willing to pay for hardware upgrades to get the 1098 current, i.e., room-equalization, auto-calibrating, etc. - the hardware infrastructure to do such is already in place. Yamaha and Denon's new $1K receivers have such DSP capabilities on the market now.

Anyone hear anything new :?: - we need something new for Christmas!

Kevin
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ok got a little more info on this situation...basically the code is ready they are just waiting for the international politics to settle before its release. Either way though is shouldn't be too much longer (think soon in the new year)

Comment

• Locutus2k
      • May 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
      Ok got a little more info on this situation...basically the code is ready they are just waiting for the international politics to settle before its release. Either way though is shouldn't be too much longer (think soon in the new year)
      Can you give us some more info on the new firmware (major changes, etc.)?
      Thx,

Locutus2k

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

If in fact they would release a hardware upgrade offering better DAC's, opamps and DSP board, I would be inclined to keep my 1098 permanently.
        I love the usability, looks and everything else but I still feel they should've invested more in sound quality.
        I'm willing to pay to get that, as it's a great machine but it lacks that edge to get in there with the big boys.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Can you give us some more info on the new firmware (major changes, etc.)?
          I just got a copy of the code to test so i'll let you know what I find out tomorrow when I get it installed.

Comment

• Adrian Smith
            • Jun 2004

Since we are talking firmware updates I thought I would share the experience I had when updating from ver 1.1.8 to current. While doing the eprom update after the first file it would not load the second file in hyper terminal, it would just not connect to the 1098, so I shutdown and restarted the 1098 and then the second file loaded smoothly, this happened again for the third file. Is this normal or was it just being temperamental?
            It caused a fair bit of frustration and worry at the thought of killing the eprom by shutting it down in the middle of an upgrade.
            Adrian

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Adrian,

I am a bit confused - the EPROM update is done using a special EPROM loader program - not Hyperterminal??? It comes with its own special update proceedure and insutructions. I have done it several times - no problems... However people do sometimes have problems with Hyperterminal for the new code

Geoff

Comment

• Adrian Smith
                • Jun 2004

Geoff, sorry even got myself confused, yes in the eprom loader it would not connect to the 1098 after each part install, I had to switch off the 1098 at the rear hard switch then power back up before I could proceed to the next part.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

What I can tell you is that there won't be a HDMI card for the 1098 but what they are working on is an external box that will handle all the 1098's video duties. I'm not sure when we'll see it but I know they've been working on it for awhile now.

Comment

• Olaf
                    • Nov 2003

Andrew,

Any news on the scope of the firmware upgrade?

Regards,
                    Olaf

Comment

• Adrian Smith
                      • Jun 2004

what they are working on is an external box.

Andrew, that could possibly be even better, I get to buy something else!

With Rotel on it!

Adrian

Comment

• Locutus2k
                        • May 2004

I just got a copy of the code to test so i'll let you know what I find out tomorrow when I get it installed.

Any news? I just can' t wait .. :

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I still haven't heard if there's anything else that has been adjusted but the TFT screen now works as I think it should in that there's now a menu setting to tell it to default to the stand by mode instead of you having to press and hold Menu each and every time you power it up :T

Comment

• EAmin
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DrBoom
                            If in fact they would release a hardware upgrade offering better DAC's, opamps and DSP board, I would be inclined to keep my 1098 permanently.
                            I love the usability, looks and everything else but I still feel they should've invested more in sound quality.
                            I'm willing to pay to get that, as it's a great machine but it lacks that edge to get in there with the big boys.
                            I'm with the Doc. I'm willing to pay to have it upgraded too. Upgradeability was the deciding factor for me to buy the 1098 vs. the 1068. I'm really hoping Rotel offers this.

Comment

• Zzap
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by EAmin
                              I'm with the Doc. I'm willing to pay to have it upgraded too. Upgradeability was the deciding factor for me to buy the 1098 vs. the 1068. I'm really hoping Rotel offers this.
                              Me too.
                              I'd rather have my 1098 upgraded via software and/or hardware than to buy supporting hardware.
                              What would be the point in having an 1098 if you'd have to support it externally in every which way.
                              /John

Comment

• Marcel B
                                • Nov 2004

I got my 1098 last week and my software version is v3.1.0
                                Is this only to accommodate (perhaps) a new screen or are there other changes?
                                I can't find any up till now.

on a sidenote: this forum has been very helpfull in chosing between the 1068 and 1098.I think I made the right choice, both music (2CH) and HT sound wonderfull.

I decided for the 1098 + 2x RB981 (used) to replace my Pioneer VSA-AX10 (=49TX)
                                The Pioneers HT was very good, but 2Ch and going pre-pro are both big steps forward.
                                (I already used a Denon amp which has moved to the surround channels in combination with Rotel)

Comment

• DrBoom
                                  • Dec 2003

Maybe I should clarify a bit, I'm not that interested in upgrades that ADD features like HDMI or whatever.
                                  But I am very interested in performance upgrades, something like a Signature package, with new DACs, better opamps, and a less noisy DSP board.
                                  All to reduce hiss and background noise, enhance resolution and get it in the playground of the high-end stereo amps so it can truly be known as a high-end pre/pro WITH high-end stereo performance as well.

Like EAmin and Zzap said, what else did we buy the 1098 for ?
                                  If I would've known that the 1068 would've been the exact same machine with the same features and possibilities I probably would've gone for that.
                                  I still haven't heard them side by side, but I haven't seen anyone going berserk over the difference in sound quality either.

Comment

• Tom Bombadil
                                    • Feb 2004

It seems a shame that the modular construction of the 1098 is not proving to be as versatile as had been hoped. It astounds me that such an obvious potential is not being exploited and that future expansions could not be accommodated this way. I imagine when the design team sat down to plan the 1098, this must certainly be one area that could not have been overlooked.

I have read that the modular approach was to simplify maintenance and to eliminate interference between control subsections (whistling centre channel??). There are many Rotel 1098 owners who would relish and pay for future hardware improvements that could be implemented by replacement boards (HDMI, updated DACs, DSP etc). Surely it would not be too difficult to reduce the next to useless composite inputs, relocate a couple to the S-Video board and free that slot for HDMI In/Out?

I understand that Anthem is structuring an upgrade path for their processors to include the latest technologies. I hope Rotel listens to its loyal and obviously devoted customers and extends the lifespan of many people’s investment. I myself had high hopes for the 1098 and would welcome such a strategic decision to maintain its position in the market. Geoff’s excellent wish list has everything covered I think!!

So come on Rotel, you have a great product here, please keep it up-to-date. We have wallets waiting with your cash!!!
                                    Source : Imagination
                                    Power : Courage
                                    Transducer : Action

Comment

• kneptune
                                      • Jan 2004

Anyone heard anything more or have addtional information on the new RSP-1098 firmward update?

Kevin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Kevin nothing new to report. As far as I know it will be made public shortly in the new year.

Comment

• greve
                                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Tom Bombadil
                                          It seems a shame that the modular construction of the 1098 is not proving to be as versatile as had been hoped. It astounds me that such an obvious potential is not being exploited and that future expansions could not be accommodated this way. I imagine when the design team sat down to plan the 1098, this must certainly be one area that could not have been overlooked.

I have read that the modular approach was to simplify maintenance and to eliminate interference between control subsections (whistling centre channel??). There are many Rotel 1098 owners who would relish and pay for future hardware improvements that could be implemented by replacement boards (HDMI, updated DACs, DSP etc). Surely it would not be too difficult to reduce the next to useless composite inputs, relocate a couple to the S-Video board and free that slot for HDMI In/Out?

I understand that Anthem is structuring an upgrade path for their processors to include the latest technologies. I hope Rotel listens to its loyal and obviously devoted customers and extends the lifespan of many people’s investment. I myself had high hopes for the 1098 and would welcome such a strategic decision to maintain its position in the market. Geoff’s excellent wish list has everything covered I think!!

So come on Rotel, you have a great product here, please keep it up-to-date. We have wallets waiting with your cash!!!
                                          I also used to believe that buying an upgradeable pre/pro was the ultimate solution. So I went a bought a TAG McLaren AV32R-192. And in principle the idea was great, but unfortunately TAG's upgrade pricing structure was a shot in their own foot IMHO and it proved cheaper to trade boxes (on 2nd hand market) to get new functionality than to order any upgrades from TAG. And now I'm with Rotel RSP-1098 and I have not looked back... :-)

Comment

• Zzap
                                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Tom Bombadil
                                            Don't get me wrong - I'm all for spending money on upgrading my HT (who isn't ) and I'm happy with my 1098 as is but I'd rather spend my money on upgrading the 1098 itself than supporting it with other products.

Something like an external video switcher box that could mix-n-match video signals would be cool but I'd be thinking "how much of my hard-earnt $$$ are now wasted in the 1098 'video department' now that this box handles video switching".

I'm sure the 1098 wasn't designed from the get-go with the flexibility of products like the Meridian 800 series but I was hoping that the modular design of the 1098 could at least offer something - even a limited range of modules.
                                            /John

Comment

• Ossi
                                              • Jul 2003

I am not sure if a hardware upgrade for HDMI is a thing that is easy to do with the 1098. I am sure that the mainboard in the 1098 will have its limits in the amount of datastreams it can handle so an external HDMI box might be a better and cheaper way to go. However, to be able to control that box over the 1098, we will need a control option and link possibility so that some changes might come along.
                                              In regard of firewire I still hope to see a new DSP board that may also include some other features like automatic setup and so on. The upgrade is in this case reduces to the DSP board and a new firmware. Changing to board with the fireware chip for a new one with greater storage capacity should not be that expensive too, as it could also contain the linkage solution needed for the HDMI switcher.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2002

The linkage solution is all ready in place (and has been). It will connect to the computer IO port (RS232). In addition to firmware updates, this port allows full control of any of the processors. As a side, it also outputs the entire status of the processor. So when someone switches to video1 (from the front of the unit or remote) this info gets sent out that port. Hook the HDMI switcher to the port and it will easily 'follow' the inputs on the processor.

It's also a pretty standard ouput across the board, so the switcher should work with the 1055,1065,1066,1067,1068,1056, and 1098...

Kevin D.

Comment

• RobertKozel
                                                  • Sep 2003

Happy New Year everybody. Any news on the firmware upgrade yet? Andrew mentioned shortly in the new year, so I thought I would ask.
                                                  Robert

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Last I heard there's a new update available but they're reluctant to release it b/c there's an even newer one that's almost ready for beta testing.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                                      • Nov 2004

I don't own rotel, but why not just RELEASE a proven version that has some ADDED benefit? Then, take the time on the beta version....by the time they release an update the product will be obsolete!!

What good is that for anyone??

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Apr 2003

I agree. One area that Rotel has lagged behind the competition is in providing timely software updates to software upgradeable units. They are really good about getting fixes out fast, but improvements, and additional features seem to take forever, and sometimes never come at all, case in point.
                                                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Azeke
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2003

Last I heard there's a new update available but they're reluctant to release it b/c there's an even newer one that's almost ready for beta testing.
                                                          I concur, the tested version, would at least wet our appetites .

Edit: I certainly wouldn't mind stable multiple firmware updates, but at least Rotel provides updates, so most times my patience prevails.

Regards,

Azeke
                                                          Last edited by Azeke; 12 January 2005, 10:24 Wednesday.

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
                                                            • Jun 2004

Just a little bit off-topic:

Software version 2.1.3 added the option to turn off the TFT display permanently. This can be done by either accessing the DISPLAY OPTIONS menu or by pressing the display button on the front panel and changing the OSD OUTPUT setting to "Monitor Only".

So far so good. However, once I´ve switched off the TFT screen permanently and left the 1098´s main menu, how can I switch on the TFT again? Obviously, pressing the "menu" button on the remote control for several seconds does not work in this case - the TFT remains black. It seems as if the only possibility is to display the OSD on a TV set or a beamer in order to be able to access the 1098´s main menu again. Am I right or is there another "more subtle" trick to switch on the TFT again once it was set to "Monitor only"? If not, maybe Rotel should include a kind of a "rescue-option" in future software releases (i.e. pressing a certain button on your remote to get the TFT back online etc.).

OK, another possibility came to my mind . Take your remote and learn the following steps by heart: Press ON, ENT, 3x DOWN, ENT, 2x UP, RIGHT (until screen switches on again).

Comment

• skipm
                                                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                                              I agree. One area that Rotel has lagged behind the competition is in providing timely software updates to software upgradeable units. They are really good about getting fixes out fast, but improvements, and additional features seem to take forever, and sometimes never come at all, case in point.
                                                              Lagged behind who??? I am glad that Rotel takes it time to fully test it's firmware updates. I don't want to own a $3,000 brick because a firmware update was rushed out. And lagging behind who, ask the Anthem and Parasound owners how they are enjoying their DPLIIx firmware updates. Better not since they don't have theirs yet.

I am all for living on the bleeding edge, but let's be realistic about it.

-Skip

Comment

• DrBoom
                                                                • Dec 2003

Wolfenstein 2k2, there is a much much easier way to get the display back but it does involve getting out of your chair and walking up to the 1098
                                                                Press the Display button on the 1098 TWICE, then rotate the function knob untill you get the display back.
                                                                That's the way I do it if I really don't want the display to come on, but most of the time when I want to watch a movie I adjust everything before it starts and then I turn off the display with the menu button.
                                                                If you don't change anything it doesn't come on anyway.

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
                                                                  • Jun 2004

Thanks for help :T. Your instructions seem to work perfectly .

If you don't change anything it doesn't come on anyway.
                                                                  Unfortunately, it sometimes comes on. I don´t know really why, but at least the remote itself is not reponsible (I removed the batteries). Maybe something transmits a signal that is received by the 1098 :huh:.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                    • Nov 2004

I still wish there was a button on the remote to turn the display off (like in the part that slides down). You press it once, it turns the display off completely, press it again it comes back on....

Oh well I guess that'd be too simple. :P
                                                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                                    -Dan

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

The beta firmware that I was testing allows you to turn off the display via a menu switch. It then will act the same as if you'd press and held the menu button in that it will come back on if you request the OSD or do something like a volume change...it then turns off again after a moment. The only difference now is that it remembers you want the TFT to default to this standby mode vs the old method that kept power it back on each time you powered up the processor.

About the only things I've heard about the new firmware is the addition of PLIIx Game mode and some faster volume ramping.

Comment

• Raphie
                                                                        • Nov 2004

will this become available for 1068 as well? and any news around the HDMI "hub" "scaler"

ThnX

Raphie

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 16507

Yes it'll be available for the 1068 as well. Not sure about the HDMI unit but it'll work for both processors when its released

Comment

• mattburk
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Feb 2003
                                                                            • 248

When is the next generation of processors and receivers coming out? It's been close to a year for the 1098 hasn't it?
                                                                            www.mycstone.com
                                                                            www.coverednow.com
                                                                            www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2003
                                                                              • 1914

#39
                                                                              Mattburk,

Rotel tends to go 2 years or so between processorss so I'd suggest you have about a year...

Geoff

Comment

• Fishy
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2004
                                                                                • 299

#40
                                                                                Any idea when we MIGHT be seeing any updates?

Fish

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 16507

#41
                                                                                  The new code should be up on the web site by the end of next week barring unforseen problems with the beta testing group.

Comment

• Fishy
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2004
                                                                                    • 299

#42
                                                                                    Cool.

Thanks for the update.

Fish

Comment

• RisingPhoenix
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2004
                                                                                      • 17

#43
                                                                                      So long since i've visited, i feel almost evil, any news on firmware updates regarding calibration distances etc ??

Steve

Comment

• Ferry
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • May 2003
                                                                                        • 19

#44
                                                                                        Any news on the update front? 8O

It has been more than a year after the last firmware update. :Z

Does this mean no implements from the wish list and that the it’s become obsolete. :evil:

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2003
                                                                                          • 1914

#45
                                                                                          Ferry,

Rotel are focusing lots of energy on their next generation processors and recievers, which have a number of the remaining wish list features... We will start to see these in the next few months and then progressively over 2006. I understand that Rotel are also moving to a next generation of processor technology with a different code base

I personally expect only minor firmware updates before the code is frozen (as was the RSP-1066) later this year....

(I know this is not what current Rotel users want to hear - I have an RSP-1098 that I'd love some of the wish list items for... But the inside info on the next generation product is that they are very exciting - with lots of leading edge features like HDMI video scaling etc... And my RSP-1098 still sounds fantastic...)

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"