X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

SPL meter and Rotel gear

Hi guys;

I am reading more and more about the necessity of calibrating my system with the help of a RadioShack SPL meter and a calibration disc. However, I have not found any speaker level adjustments for each of the speaker channels in my Rotel gear. My stereo system is:

Rotel RB 1070, RC 1070 RCD 1072, Axiom M60ti floorstanding speakers.

I have tried moving my speakers a lot, until I found a position I like, but I still I think I may be missing something if I don't use this meter. I wish I could only hire it for a day or two. What do you guys think, is this a necessary purchase?
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by thyname
    Hi guys;

I am reading more and more about the necessity of calibrating my system with the help of a RadioShack SPL meter and a calibration disc. However, I have not found any speaker level adjustments for each of the speaker channels in my Rotel gear. My stereo system is:

Rotel RB 1070, RC 1070 RCD 1072, Axiom M60ti floorstanding speakers.

I have tried moving my speakers a lot, until I found a position I like, but I still I think I may be missing something if I don't use this meter. I wish I could only hire it for a day or two. What do you guys think, is this a necessary purchase?
    I think the sound level adjustment SPL meter is only for surround sound systems, you seem to only have a 2ch system and therefore doesn't seem much point using a sound meter to adjust only left and right channel only. Are you also using a graphic equalizer in conjunction with the rest of your 2ch system to adjust at different frequencies?
    Last edited by JDH; 17 May 2005, 02:36 Tuesday.
    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

I am using nothing but my ears so far, and yes, my system is a 2 channel stereo only. Initially I thought the meter can be used only for surround, but I started to believe that can help a 2 channel system as well.

Comment

• booktrunk
        • Aug 2004

I don't really see how? Because in the A/V processor / receivers you can then go in and adjust the level of each speaker. You cannot do this on a stereo System as it does not have a level adjustment for each speaker / channel.

You could I suppose tell if one speaker was louder than the other and either move the speakers or slightly adjust the balance but it's not really the same as what you get when you use a sound meter for settting up a surround system.

Frankly in stereo I wouldn't bother with a sound meter just get it so it sounds good to your ears

Steff
        "Whether sad, angry, distressed, eager, or playful, elephants are this in a big way"

"The way in which our society deals with minorities is a guide to our civilisation."

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

I am with booktrunk, the spl meter will not be sensitive enough to get you where you want to be for 2 channel, and their is no "gain" adjustment in the 1070 for each channel. Move you're speakers, and sometimes a little will make a big difference. If you can be patient after a move this helps. I find if I pop in a cd, I sometimes set and listen for a little bit before I get lost in the music. Many times people also "tweek" gain values in a surround system after setting up with the spl meter as the ears have the final say. Good luck, Bob

Comment

• csuzor
            • Nov 2004

I personally think it unfortunate that Rotel doesn't have "balance" adjustments...

At home, I can sit to the left or to the right of the center, or I can move either sofa and sit in the ideal position... however, my wife insists the sofa returns to its designated spot later.

I would like a balance option in the RSP, which adjusts the front and surround channels at the same time, leaving the center unchanged. There are other preamps with this functionality (I know of Primare), why not Rotel?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"