X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TunerX
    • Apr 2005

They Do care!

So as i said i emailed rotel... basically for f of it about the new tuner.
    so they emailed me back :-)

Basically in reply to my poking at them about lack of SACD and XM Radio

On a world wide scale, Rotel is but a twentieth of the size of D&M holdings, the Marantz Denon group and unlike these folk, is still independently owned. The reputation of Rotel would place Rotel as being much larger and able to offer almost anything however the company is of modest size and it’s almost impossible to be at the forefront of every new line of new technology.

When SACD was announced it was a proprietary technology of Sony and Philips and Rotel having worked for many years with both companies had an opportunity to sign up for a license. Doing so would have placed Rotel in the position having too many of its eggs in one basket and so Rotel demurred. There was a very extensive discussion at the time and we felt that Rotel’s long term interest were better served by moving to another supplier for DVD mechanisms and as history has bourn out, Sony quit the OEM business about six months later. SACD is also no more and Sony will no longer be supporting that format preferring instead move to high def video technology with audio.

Ironically now, SACD is all but officially no longer supported by Sony. Zoran have released a new DVD engine that supports playback of SACD and it’s likely that next year Rotel may finally have a universal player...all to be decided!

The situation with satellite radio is similar in that there are only two broadcasters and their license requirements can be punitive. Rotel has made a very strong commitment to HD radio, the Iboc technology for digital broadcasting on AM/FM, now being rolled out across America and having studied the two satellite offerings added Sirius for it’s apparent better quality performance.

The RT 1084 tuner will have full AM and FM HD ability built in and for the users interested in satellite broadcasts a Sirius tuner module can be purchased and used. It would be good if the Sirius and XM modules made for automobile upgrades had compatible pin connections and software because then it would be fairly simple to offer both systems…… but so far no compatibility.

We can’t foretell the future and have to hedge our bets, but today Sirius has good audio quality and that suits the Rotel philosophy of offering better sound.

Thank you for your interest in Rotel,
    Amy Dattilo

Rotel Marketing

Just thought you guys might wanna see

8)
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TunerX
    Ironically now, SACD is all but officially no longer supported by Sony. Zoran have released a new DVD engine that supports playback of SACD and it’s likely that next year Rotel may finally have a universal player...all to be decided!8)
    Now there's a newsflash!

That's just the kind of thing that could steer me back to an all-Rotel setup as I'm weighing my options.

Props to Amy for such a forthcoming reply... most companies are tight-lipped about the future anymore, understandably.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Cowanrg
      • Feb 2004

heh, i didnt know amy did that kinda thing.

im always emailing her back and forth joking around with her, she's pretty cool.

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

All right, now I am excited again about the prospect of an SACD solution from Rotel. I hope the audio quality is up to expectations. Could this be the RDV1090 that was then wasn't in another post??

Comment

• i_amadeo
          • May 2005

i wish all companies were this forthcumming on future plans .....it would change alot in the way consumers consume....people would actualy wait before buying they would wait before going into new technologies
          come into the light

Comment

• Bostonears
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by i_amadeo
            i wish all companies were this forthcumming on future plans .....it would change alot in the way consumers consume....people would actualy wait before buying they would wait before going into new technologies
            And that's exactly why most companies are not forthcoming on future plans.

Comment

• shadow
              • Dec 2003

While the message is mildly encouraging, I do not expect to see a Rotel SACD player. It appears that SACD demand and production is going downward. If Sony abandons the format as many expect, demand will dry up. Why design a new product for a dying format and a few hundred customers that want it? BTW, I have a Denon universal player and love SACD, but kind of like Beta VCRs, even though the format is great, it has never taken off in sales. If Sony says its done with it, that will be it except for guys like me with a good library of the discs. :cry:

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

McIntosh embrassed SACD with it's best-selling product, the MVP861, and is getting out a new CD/SACD stereo audio-only player before christmas (without dvd-a). I don't think that SACD is going to die

Comment

• Mark_C.
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jim777
                  McIntosh embrassed SACD with it's best-selling product, the MVP861, and is getting out a new CD/SACD stereo audio-only player before christmas (without dvd-a). I don't think that SACD is going to die
                  Yes, and once that $3,000 McIntosh SACD unit goes on sale (sarcasm on) at all of our local Best Buys and Circuit Cities, the demand for SACD will skyrocket (sarcasm off).

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mark_C.
                    Yes, and once that $3,000 McIntosh SACD unit goes on sale (sarcasm on) at all of our local Best Buys and Circuit Cities, the demand for SACD will skyrocket (sarcasm off).
                    :rofl:

The only sales that may skyrocket are McIntoshs'

I just remembered that Joe Satriani's last album never came out in SACD, but the two ones before it did....... I'm going to hate Sony...

Comment

• csuzor
                      • Nov 2004

It ain't over yet for sacd (though it probably is over for dvd-a). For classical music, the release rate is constant and greater than most people can afford to keep up with. For jazz/pop/rock, there are occasional titles, even in the usa (see below). For usa, the market is mass-driven, and the lowest common denominator wins (ie. cd and mp3 for music). Outside of usa, the mass consumers aren't sheep, they don't follow everyone else, and they embrace newer technologies faster, so many specialty labels choose to differentiate themselves with hi-rez. It's a cultural thing.

Hey!! Here's the triumphant return of Hybrid SACD from Sony. I've bolded it to bring extra attention. On December 6 of this year, Epic is going to release an SACD Multichannel title for Duran Duran and their best-selling Astronaut. Keep those fingers crossed that this turns into a new trend.

As if this weren't enough, I've just found out that Columbia plans a Multichannel SACD for John Mayer and his Room For Squares (2001) releasing the gem on December 13. Cross those fingers, SACD lovers...cross..those..fingers!!

Is this IT? Apocalypse? Change of heart? What?! Columbia unleashes Switchfoot and their Beautiful Letdown on Multichannel SACD on December 13.

Comment

• BWzes03
                        • Oct 2005

As far as I know, I've read somewhere that Sony placed the SA-CD Research & Development outside of its house. However, Sony / Philips and others still continue to bring out new SA-CD products. Sony/BMG is still briging out new SA-CD titles.
                        The R&D department was sold to another company, who will continue to do development on SA-CD encoders/decoders and other applications for DSD.
                        (I can't remember the source though....)

Comment

• csuzor
                          • Nov 2004

Thanks BWzes03... that's your first post, welcome! And you joined today!
                          How did you land on this thread? Google on "Rotel SACD"?
                          Any other useful information you'd like to share with us?

Comment

• BWzes03
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                            Thanks BWzes03... that's your first post, welcome! And you joined today!
                            How did you land on this thread? Google on "Rotel SACD"?
                            Any other useful information you'd like to share with us?
                            Thanks for the warm welcome!
                            I found a link on the dutch Htforum.nl ..
                            As I have some Rotel equipment, (RSP-1098/RMB-1075/RCD-1072) I've been looking around on Club Rotel for some time before registering...

on-topic:

I would love to see a Rotel multi-player... I'm very fond of my RCD-1072, its a very fine and musical cd-player, for less than an entry-level Arcam (which I found wanting in light of the Rotel...) so a multi-player, done right like Rotel can, would be very welcome indeed....

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"