• audi
    • Aug 2004

Rotel and SACD?

Anyone know if Rotel is gonna support SACD on their DVD players soon? :Z
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Audi,

Expect their 2005 models to incorporate SACD. Release date not certain (they are still prototypes and Rotel is tweaking the SACD sound to get it to their satsfaction) but the anouncement is targeted for the CES in early 2005....

Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

So does this mean they'll come out with a universal player (dvd-a & sacd)?

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Jummy58,

So does this mean they'll come out with a universal player (dvd-a & sacd)?
        Absolutely

Over 2005 I expect all their DVD players to move to Universal (but not all at once) as they progressively replace the RDV-1060, 1050 and 1040 (think 1062, 1052 and 1042 - but names are not firm yet)

Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Very interesting...thanks for the info Geoff!

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

My biggest concern with the upcoming Rotel universal player is that it will take the same shortcut that so many other players do.

Most "universal players" under $2000 convert SACD to PCM for playback. :evil: It enables manufacturers to use less sophisticated DACs and requires that bass management be implemented in only the one domain (PCM).

I was so excited about the Denon 5900 when I first saw the specs on it a while back. I thought it was going to be my Holy Grail. Then I came to find that it too converts DSD to PCM for playback.

If you're in the DVD-A camp, then any upcoming player from Rotel is a no-brainer. But, if you’re in the SACD camp, I wouldn't get too excited...yet.
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Nice looking room Gregg!

Comment

• greggz
                • Jun 2002

Thanks!

On the whole we are very pleased how it turned out. I would have preferred theater-style seating to the "conversation pit" style seating we have, but I lost that battle with the wife.

I still need to do acoustical treatments on those large expanses of bare wall. I hope to have that part done by Thanksgiving.

Then all that will be left to do is sneak the purchase of about 2 dozen quality interconnects beneath the wife's radar. :B
                Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• jimmyp58
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Did I read this right? Sneak?! Good luck!!!

Comment

• eelco74
                    • Dec 2002

greggz,

From what I know is that the 2900 has a Sony DSD chipset, so it does not convert DSD to PCM. The 5900 (or A11) has the same chip only converts DSD to PCM if you want to use time alignment.
                    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                      • Sep 2003

all these future players better support DVI out. Id like an Universal player, maybe Ill wait to see whats up Rotels sleeve :roll:

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                      GameTracker -My List-
                      Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

I am kind of surprised with all your purchases Spoonman that you didn't go for one right off the bat. How come you didn't?

Jim

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                          • Sep 2003

Jim, the industry just seems so unstable as far as those 2 formats. I dont have a good feeling about it. I guess Im just spoiled by dvd and how it commandingly took over. when another format doesnt do that, then I tend to hold off.

As far as DVI out goes, that cheap Denon 1910 I believe it is, is due out soon, and Im going to get that and mess around with it. Itll fill the dvi gap for the time being. If Rotel moves ahead with the universal plan, and they put time into it like they do their cd players, then surely it would be a killer of a machine. If it resembles this 1072 in anyway as far as overall excellent sound, then Ill wait for the Rotel models to hit. I am very very impressed with this 1072, it is a perfect fit with my Halo gear as well. I cant see their universal players being too far behind.

Hmm, and what of Parasound exploits in this matter? If they bring one out, you can bet your def tech loving @$$ im getting that.

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                          GameTracker -My List-
                          Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• jimmyp58
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

Geez, why am I not surprised you'd hop on a Parasound universal player?! :B

While the Rotel piece would like very nice, you just gotta know the Parasound piece would look even sweeter, especially in your setup.

Comment

• spiffnme
                              • Apr 2003

I'd been away from the board for awhile, but this is GREAT news.

A new Rotel uni-player will be available at about the same time I'll be in the market for a new TV as well. Life is good.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Given that Rotel doesn't like to jump on band wagon's and normally waits for the industry to settle down a bit I doubt we'll see the holy grail you guys are looking for from Rotel any time soon. There's also a host of insider industry stuff going on that most of us don't hear about that makes this whole idea an even bigger mess from a production standpoint.

Comment

• spiffnme
                                  • Apr 2003

The holy grail I'm looking for is a Rotel uni-player that has DVI (and/or HDMI) outputs.

That's not asking too much is it?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2003

Spifnme,

No - think mid 2005 at the latest - with HDMI....

Geoff

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                                      • May 2004

I want a Rotel all in one unit that does every thing that I can think of and only cost $50.00. You think this is gonna happen? HEHE. I doubt it. I would like to see something very nice and cool come from Rotel in the near future, but I am not holding my breath on the all in one thing.

G

:grab:

Comment

• Amras
                                        • May 2003

Rotel is denying it!

I'm in the market for a universal player and after reading this post I was hoping to get some verification from Rotel. I'm willing to wait if I KNOW that Rotel will release a uni next year- because frankly I'd prefer to stick with Rotel. I contacted both Rotel US and Europe and they both claimed they are not aware of ANY plans to release a universal in 2005. The emails:
                                        Europe- "Thank-you for considering the purchase of a Rotel DVD player. As
                                        our US counterparts have said, there are no plans to release a 'universal'
                                        player as yet. For further news and updates on new product releases please
                                        visit the Rotel website at www.rotel.com."

US- "I have not heard a definite on this or not. I doubt that there will be a
                                        universal player released within the next year from Rotel. I am sure that they are thinking about this but I doubt we will see anything until at
                                        least 2006."

Is it possible they are out of the loop???
                                        Amras
                                        Take it easy... If it comes easy, Take it twice!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2003

Patience required....

Amras,

Most manufacturers do not confirm new products that replace existing ones until very close to the release date in order to avoid cannibalising sales of their existing product range. This is particularly true of DVD players (high end DVD players "go stale" quickly in the market due to feature wars accross brands fighting to get a reason for people to replace what they have).

Rotel's universal products are in pre-production prototype stage at the moment. This means they can (and will) change things before finalising for production. Equally they could slip their dates due to issues (e.g. on the RSP-1098 and RSP-1068 ). For example there are / were concerns with licensing the HDMI and or IEE interfaces and the sound processing for the SACD (need to convert internal to PCM encoding). Rotel also need to make a marketing decision about the timing of the release re releases of their processors etc with HDMI interfaces... If the two dates are made interdependent this further complicates release planning.

I would not expect any news / confirmation from Rotel re their new units until a month or two before the release. The answers you have received are what I would expect when we are talking 9+ months away! CES 2005 is the earliest I would expect any news and that could slip unless they are close to release. You need to be patient or buy the Denon 2910 or 3910 now!

Geoff

Comment

• chrispy35
                                            • Feb 2004

Just out of curiosity...can we have a source for the rumours about the new products?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2003

Chrispy35,

Sorry - no - then the source would disapear....

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"