X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

firewire?

I've noticed that all the new receivers coming out seem to have firewire connects for SACD and DVD-A, rather than the rats nest that is 6 separate analog cables.

Any chance later models of the 1066 or 1098 will incorporate a firewire input for multi-channel audio? And likewise that their RDV-1060 will have a firewire output?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Highly unlikely. The firewire ports used are all propriotary and expensive as their isn't an agreeded upon digital interface yet for SACD or DVD-A.

Comment

• skipm
      • Jun 2003

I doubt it. The first batch of devices that came out with firewire didn't have a very good track record. Sony's was one way only and would only work with a Sony camcorder. Denon's worked for DVD-Audio only, not SACD, and Pioneer's would work for DVD-Audio and SACD .... as long as the DVD player on the other end was a Pioneer DV-47Ai.

I have yet to hear of an instance where someone connected different brand's devices together via firewire and had it work. Actually, I take that back. You can connect a JVC 30K D-VHS VCR to a Samsung SIR-T165 OTA STB and record HD from a OTA source. But this is the only example I'm aware of.

Personally, I'm glad to be sitting on the sidelines while all of this is worked out ... and I'm glad Rotel is doing the same.

-Skip

Comment

• spiffnme
        • Apr 2003

I heard that they finally ironed out a standard.

If that's the case, and there is a standard connection that could be used across all companies, Rotel would be more inclined to go that route, no?

To be honest it's not that big of deal to me, because I've already bought all those damn cables. I might as well use them.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• LEVESQUE
          • Oct 2002

The new Denon DVD-5900 will have 2 firewire ports, and coming out in 1 month or 2. A SF tech just told me that the Anthem AVM20 fireware update should be disponible in 1 month or 2... fFirewire is not only a rumor... it's coming really fast...
          To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

As far as I know, firewire, while it might add to convenience, might not add any sonic benefit to the music. As far as a standard being adopted, yes, I've heard that too, but I'll believe it when I see it. There's a lot more infighting going on than we know. I'll be interested when it finally becomes commonplace, but will not sweat it now.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• spiffnme
              • Apr 2003

Don't get me wrong, I in no way think that the firewire will make anything sound better. It's just a BIG convienience. (not to mention a big savings on cable costs)

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• skipm
                • Jun 2003

I tend to think that 6 RCA cables would be a lot cheaper than adding multiple firewire ports to a receiver or pre-pro when you figure in all the royalities that would have to be paid for use of the various protocals.

The local Home Depot has them on sale, 3 for $10.

-Skip

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Yes, I seem to recall that the rep that came onto the board via Andrew said that it is no simple tast to incorporate things such as firewire. In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, he said it would be costly and pretty much require a major redesign.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• spiffnme
                    • Apr 2003

I didn't say it would be easier for Rotel.

It's easier for the end user.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"