X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Firewire, HTPC's and STB's

The thought came to me earlier today....

I seem to remember hearing a while back that by law (in the US) STB's had to be available with firewire (and/or possibly DVI..?) to cable/satellite subsribers who asked for it, sometime this year, for the ability to record to DVHS decks. Is there any reason you couldn't connect that firewire output to your HTPC if you wanted? Does anyone actually have a STB with an active firewire port yet? Was this just a rumour I had heard? If you have an STB with an inactive firewire port could shady men in dark drenchcoats activate it for you?

Jason
    Jason
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well I found out that the FCC has required as of April 1st of 2004 that cable companies must give an active firewire box to customers that requested one.

It looks like it may be possible to record HD or SD via firewire equipped STB's but it's a bit dodgy depending on the STB, your firewire card/mobo and your cable provider.

I sure would love to hear from anyone who has succesfully set this up...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"