X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Bombadil
    • Feb 2004

Firewire upgrade for 1098?

As an owner of the 1098 and a Denon A11, I have been wondering whether Rotel could or would offer an upgrade to the 1098 to give Firewire (IEE1394) connectivity?

I am assuming that due to the modular nature of the 1098 that this should be easier to implement than pre-pro's of a closed architecture. I really want to get into SACD/DVD-A but the mess of wires keeps putting me off (it was hard enough getting Mrs's certification!!).

Perhaps any of the "links-to-Rotel" guys may be able to pass this on. I know that Anthem have a firewire upgrade in the works and this would ice the cake on Rotel's already excellent comitment to customer/market wishes.

BTW - Speaking of upgrades and enhancements, I was also wondering if user-interface elements of the wish list had been considered? Would really like a larger font or preferably a scale display of the volume (and in colour :B )!
    Source : Imagination
    Power : Courage
    Transducer : Action
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Try the Club Rotel RSP-1098 Wish List

Tom,

All this and more is the in the official Club Rotel wish list for the RSP-1098 See this thread here

Net:
    1) TFT Bigger fonts and colour choice - we're in with a hope
    2) Firewire - Audio interface evolving and proprietory (e.g. DVD / Reciever specfic combinaiton specific <e.g. Denon are already up to hardware V3>) so Rotel are more interested in the DVD institute supported HDMI interface - but even this would be a BIG change to the RSP-1098 (think new version...)

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

As Geoff mentions even if Rotel were to add firewire (highly unlikely) it still wouldn't work with your Denon as all the digital SACD/DVD-A connections are proprietory to that manufacture...meaning you need a Denon DVD player and a Denon Receiver to make it work. For now just use analog cables its worth the investment and it'll be awhile before we see a universal digital connection.

Comment

• Tom Bombadil
        • Feb 2004

I think you may be confusing the Denon-link with firewire. The A11 supports both digital connections. The Denon-link is proprietary while Firewire (IEE1394) is a universal standard.

Denon's implementation allegedly conforms to the IEE1394 protocol while iLink on Pioneer and Yamaha receivers use a modified version - this is what I was told by a Denon engineer! There is a fix now for the A11 to add the extra protocols for compatibility.

I have read through the excellent wish list and hope that Rotel may consider future implementation as I have learned that the CS4940xx processor has some considerable head room. Also the 4Mb flash-ROM has the space to take it!

I would certainly pay any realistic sum for a modified digital-input board with firewire!!

On a side note - my RB-1080 has settled in nicely though I will have to invest in a mains filter block as my house has "dirty" power! I have a residual current on the earth and neutral. The house is 180 years old and I don't relish a rewiring job!
        Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 11 May 2004, 07:00 Tuesday.
        Source : Imagination
        Power : Courage
        Transducer : Action

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Tom,

Re your comments on the residual current on the earth and neutral lines. Good to see you tracked it down - that was my educated guess from your symptoms. Could you add something re what you found to the thread you started on the topic.

I am asking this as many people use searches to solve problems and make purchase decisions and it will help people in the future to see the one thread where you describe the problem - receive all sorts of useful ideas (again which will help others) and then solve your problem

Thanks

Geoff

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"