X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

RSX-972 VS RSP-1066 as Preamp/Processor

Hello,

I own a RSX-972 which I use with a Rotel RMB-1075 for both music and DVD formats. Recently, I've been considering purchasing the RSP-1066 as the dedicated processor/preamp in my system. My question is whether there is a substantial difference in the processor and other audiophile characteristics to warrant the upgrade price?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unfortunatly I've not heard the 972 nor are there any stats on the Rotel site so I can't really comment on the sound issues. Generally speaking though the 1066 should have a lower noise floor being a true pre amp and it also comes with the newer decoding like PLII, DTS NEO, ES and EX etc that the 972 lacks which can definalty make an improvement by themselves. Is there any chance you can either bring your reciever into the dealer or have the dealer lend you the 1066 for a night to try?

Comment

• princeoliver
      • Jan 2003

I also run a RSX972 as a pre/pro with the 985 MKII but have not heard the RSP1066 or RSX1055 so I cannot comment on how much better the new models are. But I believe you could go to the owners manual section of the Rotel website:

to get the specs on the 972. I believe the specs would be very similar to the 1055.

Comment

• Mike Hayes
        • Mar 2003

I'm not sure where you would check beyond this site but you may want to find out if there are any plans for a new generation of Rotel receivers or a replacement for the 1066 on the horizon. I only say this because you already have a Rotel product and you may be in a position to wait for a little longer. The 1066 is only about a year old and the 1098 just came out and so, it may be awhile before the 1066 replacement comes out. The 1065 receiver may be due. I believe the 1055 is the same age as the 1066. My Rotel dealer indicated that the entire Rotel receiver line up may be updated next year.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'm sure Rotel is looking forwared to the next replacement for the receivers and the 1066. Likely we'll see a trickeling down of some of the features in the 1098 but as to when that will happen I don't know and Rotel declined to comment.

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

To me, Rotel's philosophy seems to be to come out with a new product and have that product evolve through firmware/hardware upgrades, rather than come out with a whole new line all the time. Personally, I prefer it this way as it offers less of an outdated feel to their offerings.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• chanlon
              • Sep 2003

Thanks for all of your comments. I think I will wait for a bit. Since I watch a lot of DVD's which use the bitstream, my belief is that its really tough to differentiate between processors i.e the 1066. Musically, I'm sure the 1066 is superior. I'm very content with 5.1 digital and not caught up in all the newer formats. Thus, I'll think I'll wait it out.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"