X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitzipurr
    • Feb 2005

Rotel 1068 Sound Problem

Hi everybody

I have just received the replacement for my 1066 a 1068 Processor. However when I switch it on the sound seems to fade in and out and I need to have the volume level at 60 and higher!!! To be quite frank my old 1066 blows it away at volume level 40 it is more than adequate...

Could it be the torrodial transfer that has got damaged in transit. It was shipped from the UK to Spain in its original packaging.

Anybody had this problem - Help Please!!!
  • mitzipurr
    • Feb 2005

Help please somebody in Rotel land must have some ideas

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Ok, I'll give it a go. The first thing I would check is to ensure all cables are secure.

However, it sounds to me that you have a blown circuit board.

Just my monies worth,

Azeke

Comment

• mitzipurr
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
        Ok, I'll give it a go. The first thing I would check is to ensure all cables are secure.

However, it sounds to me that you have a blown circuit board.

Just my monies worth,

Azeke

Hi Azeke. Thanks for your reply.

I have checked and rechecked all connections and all are fine. Your suggestion sounds feasable. Are the circuit boards removable. If so could one of them come loose in transit if it had been handled carelessly. It was shipped only in the original white carton (not double boxed) and the box has been damaged on one end.

If it is a blown circuit board could anybody hazard a guess which one and how much would it cost to repair?

Thanks again

Comment

• DelRay
          • Jun 2004

Actually, having the volume on the 1068 set to 60 is not really too loud. Unless you have really high efficent speakers. The factory default turn on volume is 45 I believe.

Comment

• mitzipurr
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DelRay
            Actually, having the volume on the 1068 set to 60 is not really too loud. Unless you have really high efficent speakers. The factory default turn on volume is 45 I believe.

Thanks for reply. I am not too concerned about the volume having to be set at 60plus. Although my old 1066 is more than sufficient at 40. What I am worried about is the fading in and out of the sound.

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
              • May 2004

Hi Mitzipurr,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your pre/pro. I have never experienced a fading in and out of volume with any of my audio equipment, but I did have that problem with a VCR. The power supply was replaced and it was all better ($120.00 CND 10 years ago). I can't be sure if this is your problem, but it sounds like it's time for the repair shop.

Cracking!

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Well here's my question what amp are you using?

I typically listen to all my stuff at 55 or 60 on my 1098 hooked up to my 1095 and the loud parts are decently loud, but it's good enough that the quiet passages are easily heard. But I don't have any in and out sound with it.

Does the sound happen in 2ch vs. 5.1 mode (as in if you set the unit to stereo or bypass does it happen)?
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• mitzipurr
                  • Feb 2005

Hi thanks for your input

It did fade with all source material and all inputs but now seems to have rectified itself somehow.

I am using a RB991 to drive fronts RB993 to drive center and rears and RB995mk2 for center backs. I have had it playing quite loud for most of today and it seems to be settling down and not fading in and out. However it gets really hot is this normal? My old 1066 runs quite cool no matter how hard you push it. What I cannot understand is the 1066 at 40 is loud enough yet the 1068 needs to be turned up to 55 to get the same volume level. I have checked this with my SPL meter to confirm this. Does anybody know if it is a question of senstivity between the two processors?

Comment

• booktrunk
                    • Aug 2004

Is it worth resetting to factory defaults?

Then starting again with setup?

Steff
                    "Whether sad, angry, distressed, eager, or playful, elephants are this in a big way"

"The way in which our society deals with minorities is a guide to our civilisation."

Comment

• mitzipurr
                      • Feb 2005

Thanks for trying to help.

I have already done this but it is still the same

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

does it do the fade when playing the internal test tones?

Comment

• soundhound
                          • Mar 2004

As far as the heat, my 1068 runs hot compared to my amps. Those heat sinks on Rotels amps aren't just for looks, they disapate heat........Smaller sinks in their processors keep it more focused and make it appear to run "hotter". They apparently have a work horse or 2 inside the 1068 (power supply components?) that do a good job and in the process generate some heat.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                            does it do the fade when playing the internal test tones?

Hi Andrew

In answer to your question No. It now seems to have settled down and the fading of sound is not a issue anymore. The thing that puzzles me about it now is why do you need so much volume and why does it run so hot compared to the 1066.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by soundhound
                              As far as the heat, my 1068 runs hot compared to my amps. Those heat sinks on Rotels amps aren't just for looks, they disapate heat........Smaller sinks in their processors keep it more focused and make it appear to run "hotter". They apparently have a work horse or 2 inside the 1068 (power supply components?) that do a good job and in the process generate some heat.

Thanks for reply. What you say makes perfect sense re amps. The point I was trying to make is the 1066 runs a lot cooler than the 1068. In my experince in the past if something runs cooler at lasts longer! 8)

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

That's why I'm building fans into my equipment using an old computer power supply. I'm going to use a few 80mm fans I have left around running around 1200 RPM so they will create virtually no noise yet still move some air to help cool all the units...

Seems a good way to use up some spare parts I have laying around the house... Just need to buy the relay so I can have a 12volt trigger to power them on and off with the components.
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"