X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark_C.
    • Jan 2003

RDV-1080 on the way out?

I'm curious about what's to become of the 1080. The specs on the 1060 look almost identical, although the 1080 seems to be the sturdier unit. Anyone know if the 1080 is on the way out?
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mark_C.
    I'm curious about what's to become of the 1080. The specs on the 1060 look almost identical, although the 1080 seems to be the sturdier unit. Anyone know if the 1080 is on the way out?
    The 1080 is not up to date anymore and way overpriced (at least in Europe it is). From what I've heard the 1060 is cheaper and comparable in quality (if not better).

Also, it probably sells terribly in Europe, since there is no Scart connector on it, which makes it incompatible with most TV's here (not many TV's here have component inputs and s-video is usually an input on the front of the TV and not at the back (for camcorders and stuff)).

So my guess is: yes, its on its way out.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I wonder why Europe is resistant to changing to what most of the rest of the world uses? I mean, if they can put S-vid on the front, they can put it on the back, and how about component? It seems to be the worldwide standard now along with VGA, and now DVI. Will Europe do DVI?

Sorry, off subject a bit.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

You can always use a s-vhs to scart cable. I use one from Ixos to connect my RDV-985 to my Loewe Xelos Widescreen TV.

The 985 also has no scart, just s-vhs, composite and component.

But Svhs, RGB and component is accepted on the scart socket of my Loewe TV

The bigger Loewe Xelos even accepts component on scart.

For me this works just fine....

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Sure, a s-video to scart cable you can also use, but those cables are less common than normal scart cables. Also in theory RGB is the better format. And yes, most scart connectors at the back also accept s-video, so thats not really the issue.

Btw, don't talk about europe being stubborn. I can give some other examples where there was an attempt at global harmonisation for some things and North America was the odd one out (like mobile phone standards). Anyway... component is just not common here. Its something that we have to live with for the time being. Although most good DVD players give out component these days, since there are nearly no projectors with scart connections (for obvious reasons).
          So no real issues for the future.

My only point here, is that the lack of a scart connector and the high price has not done the RDV1080 much good in Europe. The 1060 is better priced and seems to be a fine unit. However again, they failed to incorporate PAL progressive, which is a requirement in a large portion of the world (not only Europe, but also Australia and more part of the world). For me personally thats not a big issues, since i have no projector, but for features that players half its price already have it should have been in there.

Comment

• Dr C
            • Feb 2003

I wonder why Europe is resistant to changing to what most of the rest of the world uses? I mean, if they can put S-vid on the front, they can put it on the back, and how about component? It seems to be the worldwide standard now along with VGA, and now DVI. Will Europe do DVI?
            Hi Lex .. to put things in perspective, except for the US+Canada+Philippines+Taiwan, the rest of the countries use PAL (or SECAM which is related). Japan+Korea use a modified form of NTSC meant only to close their markets.

For DVDs, software drives the business and with the vast majority of titles coming out of the US, most manufacturers have incorporated component connections. These connections are useless unless the TV has these connections as well.

In PAL, the preferred connection is RGB and as Scarp says, this is better in theory.

Most - if not all - PAL TVs larger than 21" (55cm) will have S-VHS (whether using Scart or hosiden conections) at the back

For PAL countries, DVI connections are more often found on large monitors (like plasmas). This is due to the price of the plasma where you will expect to find everything. To complicate matters some sets are already going beyond DVI and incorporating HDMI.

Is there a chance we can get a Catcable Scart ? (there's actually a whole list of advantages to using this connection).

Agree with Scarp that the absence of PAL progressive is a definite disadvantage for the RDV-1060 (Denon's 2900 has both PAL+NTSC progressive). Sigh ...

Comment

• eelco74
              • Dec 2002

Most plasma screens accept component in as well. Only a few cannot handle progressive scan. So if they become a bit more affordable within a few years, you want to have progressive PAL and NTSC on your player.

I will buy a plasma or TFT screen as soon as they drop in price ( I know they have aready done so, but 5000 Euro is still too mutch :-))

I do not want to get a DVD/SACD player for 1000 Euro's if it will not have PAL progressive.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
              Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
              Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Nerdy
                • Sep 2003

I was also considering the RDV1060. When the specs came out I was disappointed that PAL progressive wasn't mentioned. I contacted the dutch distributor and he told me that the original fact sheet wasn't updated but that the RDV1060 really has PAL progressive.

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

The "global" Rotel site has been updated and indeed the 1060 has PAL progressive. Also according to a review from a british magazine (posted on the global rotel homepage).

Comment

• DSGCobra
                    • Feb 2003

I own a 1080, my current setup is a 1098, 1095 and the 1080 dvd. I was just at my dealer the other day checking out the 1060, we both have very similar TV's (both DLP RP) and the 1060 definetly had a better picture quality. They demo'd monsters inc. which looked amazing, I then went home and watched the same move and realizied that the 1080 does not produce the same video quality, this was not good I don't have the money to upgrade dvd players now after the 1098 purchase. I guess I will just have to "suffer" with the old out dated 1080.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                      • Jan 2003

Anyone know if this unit is also based on JVC, whether it has the Chroma Bug and the retail price USD?

thanks

Comment

• Scarp
                        • Mar 2003

1080 was based on a JVC player.

The 1060 is based on an ESS chip and was own development of Rotel. Dunno about chroma bug.

Comment

• jamesa
                          • Sep 2003

anyone had a chance to compare the sound quality; both dvd-a and cd?

thx

-- james

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"