X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sskim
    • Sep 2007

RDV 1045, RDV 1060 or RDV 1080 ???

I need advice on Rotel DVD player. If the price was non issue, which is the better player, RDV 1080, RDV 1060 or RDV 1045, and can you tell me why? I'll be pairing up one of these with RSX 1057 and the display is Pioneer PDP-5070. One last bit of note is that I will be using it for both DVD watching and D listening, 50/50. Thanks much.
    Last edited by sskim; 14 February 2008, 13:09 Thursday.
  • gianni
    • Nov 2002

As a Rotel owner and fan, I have to be honest. When it comes to DVD players, I would seriously look at Denon or Oppo as a lower cost alternative. If you are going to use analog outs for music, get a dedicated CD player (Rotel 1072) and an Oppo for movies if you do nOt want to break the bank. If you are going to use the 1057's dacs, then I would go for the Denon 2930ci. Rotel falls a bit short on DVD players, reliaibility being among the drawbacks.

Comment

• sskim
      • Sep 2007

thanks gianni! i too was leaning towards Oppo but i really like the look of rotel dvd player matching my 1057. but your comment about reliability issue is very critical, more so since i was looking at getting a second hand rotel player. thanks again.

Comment

• Club1820
        • Jan 2006

I've had my 1060 for a little over a year now. I am probably jinxing myself (knock on wood) but I havent had any issues.

Just my $.02
        Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Mig17
          • Jan 2008

buy a thing just for look: how funny you are

Comment

• Club1820
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mig17
            buy a thing just for look: how funny you are
            I think the OP means - all things considered. If he was only in it for the looks - he wouldnt have posted this thread.
            Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• sskim
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Club1820
              I think the OP means - all things considered. If he was only in it for the looks - he wouldnt have posted this thread.
              thanks club1820

what i want to hear from more seasoned members is, is 1080 still better player than 1060 or 1045 even though it may have older chips, processors, etc.? i do believe 1080 has more 'bells and whistles' than the other two.

Comment

• crowland
                • May 2007

This might or might not mean anything to you, but Blue Ray has just about beat HD. I think HD only has 2 studios in it's camp and Net Flix has just dumped them and is going exclusive to std dvd and blue ray.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there was a Rotel Blue Ray in the works.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by sskim
                  thanks club1820

what i want to hear from more seasoned members is, is 1080 still better player than 1060 or 1045 even though it may have older chips, processors, etc.? i do believe 1080 has more 'bells and whistles' than the other two.
                  No, the 1080 is one of the original DVD players Rotel had and any extra bells and whistles will not be worth much.

If you wan superior audio sound, go with the 1060. If you want DVDA support, do not get the 1045. It will play DVDA's, but not give you full 5.1 output. You might want to look for a 1050. It was right below the 1060 and had full DVDA support. I loved mine when I used it.

But I agree with others, with your 1080P plasma, you really need to get an upscaling player or Blu-Ray unit. Get a 1072 for CD playback only and then an Oppo or other 1080p upscaling player for DVD's. The 1072 is the same size as the DVD players and will give you the look, then you can hide the Oppo somewhere else..

Kevin D.
                  Kevin D.

Comment

• imbeaujp
                    • Nov 2007

I have the RDV-1060 and the RCD-1072. Thoses units are great !

But I must admit that the upsacling with my Toshiba A2 give me better results on my plasma than the 1060 does.
                    Jean-Pierre Imbeau

ROTEL: RSP-1098|RT-1080|RCD-1072|RDV-1060|RLC-1040|RB-1080x2|RMB-1075
                    PIONEER: ELITE PRO-940HD|BDP-HD1|inno
                    YAMAHA: NS-1000|NS-1000M|CA-1010|CT-1000|TC-1000|YP-1000
                    PEARLESS: XXLS-12x4|BEHRINGER DSP-1124

Comment

• sskim
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
                      No, the 1080 is one of the original DVD players Rotel had and any extra bells and whistles will not be worth much.

If you wan superior audio sound, go with the 1060. If you want DVDA support, do not get the 1045. It will play DVDA's, but not give you full 5.1 output. You might want to look for a 1050. It was right below the 1060 and had full DVDA support. I loved mine when I used it.

But I agree with others, with your 1080P plasma, you really need to get an upscaling player or Blu-Ray unit. Get a 1072 for CD playback only and then an Oppo or other 1080p upscaling player for DVD's. The 1072 is the same size as the DVD players and will give you the look, then you can hide the Oppo somewhere else..

Kevin D.
                      Kevin D.
                      yes, this is what i had been waiting hear. thanks a lot kevin.

Comment

• skippy
                        • Jul 2006

rdv-1092(3)

Hi,
                        Is the rdv-1092(3) not an option for you. IT is very good in cd en dvd. (see the review in stereo) Perhaps you can trie this player for a week?

GJ

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"