X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howie
    • Feb 2003

RB 1090

Hey guys. I'm currently powering my 1098 with the 5 channel RMB-1095 (front-center-surround) and the RB-1070 (2 center back speakers). Now I have it lingering in my mind that I need the RB-1090 for the mains, 1095 for center/surround/surround backs and maybe use the 1070 for Zone 2. Will I hear a big 2 channel difference, or am I just tossing more cash into my setup needlessly? Someone talk me out of this - I'm spending way too much lately.

Howie
    Howie
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I doubt you'd notice that much of a difference between the 1090 and the 1095.

Did I sound convincing? :twisted: Honestly I'm not sure how much of a difference you'd hear other then to say the 2 channel amps are designed slightly different and there's a host of factors that would come into play given you're already sending a lot of current to the mains. Which speakers are you running for mains anyway?

Comment

• luszer
      • Feb 2003

i think if a 1075 was in the mix and you upgraded your fronts to a 1080 or 1090 then there reveal sonic improvements

I actually use a 1075 for C,SR, SL and a 991( older version of the 1080 ) for the fronts, I experience better control, faster and tighter bass, and crisper and clearer highs using the 991 over the 1075. Also, better detail at low listening volume

Comment

• Howie
        • Feb 2003

The mains are Swan Diva 6.1's. Actually the surrounds are the same speaker. They're pretty nice sounding, full range speakers. I've had them a couple of years now. These speakers are what started all this insane upgradeitis that's come over me.

Howie
        Howie

Comment

• Howie
          • Feb 2003

Luszer - I thought the 1095 that I'm running was just a more powerful version of the 1075. Are there other differences?

OOPs - never mind; I think I misunderstood your post. You're saying that I might notice a difference if I was upgrading from a 1075 to the 1090 on the mains.

Howie
          Howie

Comment

• LEVESQUE
            • Oct 2002

Howie.

It really depends what your listening habits are. if you listen only to HT, I don,t think the 1090 will make that big a difference. But for 2 ch stereo, it can make a bigger difference. I use a Bryston 4BSST for my mains, and the RMB-1095 for the rest. For HT, the difference is subtile only. But for 2 ch stereo, then the Bryston is alot (to my ears) better. Better resolution of details, faithful reproduction of the recording, effortless, airy.

If you listen to alot of 2 ch music, then you should consider the 1090, but for HT only, stay with the 1095.
            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

If you can get one in for an audition with no return penalty, I'd try it. However, my initial reaction is that it wouldn't be that cost effective for the amount of improvement you might notice. Being the chipmonk that I am, I'd store the money away for an improvement that will be larger for the money. My feeling is that you already have the amp thing VERY well covered.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• spacey
                • Feb 2003

If you really are looking to upgrade your 2 channel sound, I'd look at a used / demo Belles 350A or McCormack DNA 225 on Audiogon. These amps have fantastic performance for the price. Better than my Rotel (IMO). Also make sure your CD player is up to the task and run it analog through the processor. I use a RSP-1066 and have not been that happy with its internal DACs for 2 channel.

However the amps you have are excellent. If your CD player is not top flight, I would go there first. I made the biggest upgrade in my 2 channel sound by swapping CD players.

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

For the people who "think" it doesn't make much of a difference, please go and really listen.

The 1090 is an improvement over the 1095. I've listened to both and own the 1090 currently. I'll be adding the 1095 for my center and surrounds.

Soundwise the 1090 is more musical, tighter in basses and easier on my ears. This is when using a 1090 in stereo compared to using a 1095 in stereo. In multichannel use, the use of the 1090 for fronts and 1095 for rears/center has quite a good integration.

My advice: if you listen to a lot more stereo (music) than surround, then go for the 1090 also, otherwise stick to the 1095 and try improvements in other areas (cables, cd players, etc)

Comment

• Henk
                    • Jun 2003

Howie

I had to make the same decision a while ago. Having listened to both connected to my fronts (Paradigm Studio 100s) I found a substantial difference between the two. The 1090 is by far more "musical" than the 1095. A lot obviously depends on your speakers. The Paradigms are somewhat power hungry and the 1095 (200 watts per channel) just could not drive them to their full potential (not volume, but quality of sound), even when bi-amped. The 1090 is a GREAT 2 channel amp in all respects. IMHO you will not be sorry to upgrade.

BTW, there is no 12v trigger on the 1090. I queried this with Rotel and this was the reply from their European marketing people:

"I understand your frustration with regard to the RB-1090 and the lack of a 12volt trigger. It was a feature that we would have liked to add in the design stage, however it was not practical to do so on two counts. The first was simply the lack of room inside the product to add the relevant circuitry, more importantly it was due to the very high power output and high level of 'inrush' current that is present in this particular model.

This basically means that it would be very difficult to add a 12volt trigger without doing quite a degree of work (and added cost) to the unit, so the decision was made to leave this 'feature' off the unit."

The American division had the following to say:

"Why doesn't the RB-1090 have a 12 volt trigger input?

To achieve the best possible performance from a high- powered amplifier, among other design considerations it is essential that the mains path should be kept as "clean" as possible. This means using really good mains cables and introducing as few components as possible into the path.

In the case of their flagship RB-1090, Rotel want to extract the maximum possible performance and have avoided a 12 volt triggering system. There are also no plans to incorporate such a system into the 1090."

So, if a 12v trigger is an issue for you (for me it was) the way to go is to buy the Rotel RLC-1050 line conditioner. I activate the RLC 1050 from my 1098 processor via a 12v trigger, and the line conditioner then turns on the power to the 1090. Works wonderfully well.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                      • Oct 2002

I completely agree with Scarp here.

A good 2 ch amp like the 1090 will make a substantial improvment over a 5ch amp like the 1095 for 2 ch stereo listening, and even for HT, because the amp powering the center channel will be free of the burden of the mains.
                      To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

I concur with what Scarp and levesque have said. If I could add, if you are really into the music piece and trying to extract as much as you can from a two-channel amp, obviously the Rotel RB-1090 is a solid choice. While I say that, both levesque and I use a Bryston 4B SST as our main amp driving our front speakers so if you hadn't considered this product, you might want to take a look. I am not bashing Rotel's 1090 at all. There are some differences though between the two's performance that you might be interested listening to. Also, with a U.S. MSRP of $1999 for the 1090, the Bryston can be had for roughly $2,700 U.S. so it is not that far away if you can afford the extra $700. Aside from sonic differences, the Bryston provides a 20 year warranty --- unbelievable. Regardless, I know you will find an improvement if you go for the 1090 but it just may be worth your time if your budget allows to demo the 4B SST.

Jim
                        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                          • Oct 2002

And if you can afford a trip to canada, you could probably find a Bryston 4BSST for around 2500$ cdn, bringing it near the price of the 1090. I've paid 2000$ cdn for mine...

Comment

• Scarp
                            • Mar 2003

In Europe those brystons are quite expensive ... more than the 1090.

An another note ... the sound that brystons give is different than that of a bryston amp. Each amp has its own sound, which will or will not suit your listening taste. Also not every amp will match properly with your speakers.

So please listen to a few amps (besides the Rotels) and see if any is to your liking.

Also, its important to stress that you should look at your listening behaviour. If you watch a movie every night and hardly listen cd's, then keep it simple and get the 1095 (or some other 5 channel amp). Except when you want to go to 7.1, then a stereo and 5 channel amp is a good idea.

Also take your budget into account

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"