X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

985 vs 1075 and 991 vs 1080 AMPS

Given the option of purchasing a Rotel RB 985 MKII (5x110) and a Rotel 991 (2x200) used for $1100

OR

The RB 1075 (120 x5) and the RB 1080 (200x2) at closer to $1600 (still used)

Which should I do? What are the major differences between the older and newer models? Is it really worth $500+/- for the newer models?

Please tell me quick, I've got some pieces available to me now!

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • fyonn
    • Nov 2002

hiya,

this is also a question I'd like the answer to, I've just bought a second hand rb991 (for £300) and the only real difference I've been able to find out about between it and the 1080 is a 12v trigger (which would be nice I admit) and a silver faceplate (again... however I'm perfectly happy with the 991 at the mo, although it's only been in my system for a few days.

I have no experience of the 1080 as such, but there certainly seems to be nothing wrong with the 991, if I were you I'd probably go for the older stuff unless you want 12v triggers.

dave

Comment

• spiffnme
      • Apr 2003

Anybody else have any info on this? I've found three 200x2 amps from Rotel. What are the major differences between the 990, 991, and 1080?

Is there any real reason I should pay hundreds of dollars more for the 1080 over the 9-series? (other than the cool look of the silver and black face)

Thanks!

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• JohnSC
        • Jun 2002

I was faced with a similar choice to you. I chose the 991 over the 1080 because I found they were the same except for the 12V trigger. I saved A$900. I also have the 1075 and am very happy with both of them. I overcame the 12V trigger problem by building my own for the 991. They don't sell them pre-built in Australia but I know they are sold in the US. It cost me A$80 which is a whole lot better than paying A$900 more for the 1080!

John

Comment

• fyonn
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by JohnSC
          I overcame the 12V trigger problem by building my own for the 991.
          thats interesting, have you got any more info on that. how did you build your own and how does it work. it it switch the amp off to send it to standby or what? was it difficult?. I'd love both of my amps to have 12v triggers but neither do.

dave

Comment

• mickyboy
            • Jan 2003

you do not say what processer you are using, i purchased the 985mk1 because i obtained at reasonable price,this gave me the option of upgrading in the future to seperate processer over my current denon 3802,or using the 985 to bi-amp fronts and power center speaker etc

i have never heard the 1075,but the person i purchased the 985 from has lexicon processer and bought the 1075 because he was using 4ohm speakers,but stated that soundwise he did not think there was much differance between the 2 av only

i have just purchased the 981 130 watts to drive fronts, cant really say there is any real differance between 985vs 981 in sterio

as regards older and newer models the main differance seems to 12v trigger ,finned taller case, and in some models thx eg 981 non thx 1070 is thx certified,

asking a dealer about 985 vs 1075 the 1075 in his view sounded "more refined"
            i am not sure but i believe the newer models have uprated power supplies over the older ones???

Comment

• spiffnme
              • Apr 2003

I'll be pairing the amp with the Rotel 1066 processor. I've already purchased the 1075 (120x5) amp. My question is now whether to get a 991 or the 1080 2 channel amp to go with this. 991's seem to be easily had for under $500, where as the 1080 will likely be quite a bit more.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• fyonn
                • Nov 2002

if it were me, I would... and did, buy a 991. unless someone can tell me different I think that the difference between the two is minimal. do you need a 12v trigger? if so then get the 1080 otherwise I rekcon the 991 would be a cheaper option for damn near the same amp.

dave

Comment

• spiffnme
                  • Apr 2003

Cool. That seems to be the consensus on the various boards that I've posted this question. Now I've got one more question, that will really reveal my newbie status.

What's a 12V trigger - and why would I need/want one?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• fyonn
                    • Nov 2002

a 12v trigger is a little port on the back of some components that allow you to turn them on or off remotely. if you look on the back of your 1066 processor you should find I think it's 2 12v trigger ports (small round things). the idea is that when you switch your 1066 out of standby it sends a 12v signal down the wire. the amp gets the signal and switche itself out of stanby at the same time. it's a great idea and I wish mine had one but it doesn't so I just leave the 991 on all the time.

dave

Comment

• spiffnme
                      • Apr 2003

That's not a big deal though, right? There's an on/off switch right on the front of the amp, no?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• fyonn
                        • Nov 2002

of course there is. it's for convenience really. I suppose the amp s actually off when you press the button but only on standby when on the 12v trigger maybe

dave

Comment

• JohnSC
                          • Jun 2002

A 12V trigger is great for automating the powering up/down process but not essential to have. I will post the instructions of how I built one for my 991 shortly. It wasn't too difficult and works fine. I shouldn't get all the credit though as I got my info from a participant on another forum who is an electronics whizz.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"