X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phuz
    • Jan 2003

RB-990 Vs. RB-1080??

I love my RB-990BX, but I'm wondering if I should replace it with an RB-1080, and if there would be much of a difference. Other than the 12v trigger, physical appearance, and balanced inputs I can't see much of a difference between the two.

Does anyone have any experience with both of these amps, or any general ideas/input on what I might expect? Does the 1080 have any edge over the 990? They seem to be very close brothers.

I'm using a 1056 reciever as my pre/pro for 2ch listening, and an RCD-1070 as my main source. Oh, and moderately efficient 4ohm speakers.
    ==============
    -phuz
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Bi-amping capability is the only other thing that comes to mind.

Azeke

Comment

• phuz
      • Jan 2003

Anyone else have any input? Thanks
      ==============
      -phuz

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'd keep the 990. I know that the design didn't change that much between the two models so you're better off putting any upgrade money elsewhere IMO.

Comment

• phuz
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
          I'd keep the 990. I know that the design didn't change that much between the two models so you're better off putting any upgrade money elsewhere IMO.
          Thanks Andrew, thats good to hear!

Maybe I'll have to check out the 1090. I'm running out of upgrade options.
          ==============
          -phuz

Comment

• Fishy
            • Jul 2004

It sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket. If this is the case, you are more than welcome to send some of the green folding stuff my direction.

Thanks
            Fish

Comment

• phuz
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Fishy
              It sounds like you have money burning a hole in your pocket. If this is the case, you are more than welcome to send some of the green folding stuff my direction.

Thanks
              Fish
              Ok I'll get right on that! hah

Audio is a hobby, and a bad habit. I'm on the lookout, buying and selling stuff all the time.

A few years ago I found what is now my RB-990BX (originaly $999) in the "used" corner of a little shop. It had barely been touched, someone had traded it in for some other gear.

I got it for $150

So now instead of looking for a good deal on a 1080, I'll be looking for a 1090. The hunt is always fun, and part of the hobby for me. Doubt I'll find *that* good of a deal on a 1090 though.... hehe
              ==============
              -phuz

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Wow that's a great buy!

Comment

• lars
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by phuz
                  A few years ago I found what is now my RB-990BX (originaly $999) in the "used" corner of a little shop. It had barely been touched, someone had traded it in for some other gear.
                  Right...and that little shop's address was...? :lol:

Comment

• Kens1
                    • Mar 2005

Might want to consider another sub if you don't have two already. I just recently heard a system with two identical subs set up. I could not believe how good it sounded especially with music. I don't usually listen to my music with my sub on, but this would make me reconsider. I could not tell the bass was coming from the subs but rather it sounded like the mains (theil) just had amazing, crisp, accurate, and fast bass.
                    The subs were paradigm - can't remember the exact model # but they were not top of the line.
                    Just a thought.

Comment

• sprout
                      • Jun 2005

I believe the 990 was based around the Michi design.
                      I still own one and an RC-990BX, it's matching preamp which I have never found out if it too was based on the Michi design? Anyone know?

I have also 2 1080's and to be fair while I love all my Rotel gear, I still prefer my 990BX.
                      It is used in stereo only with 990 pre, so I am not sure if using the 1080 with a 1098 is the very, very marginal difference?

Interesting as always

Comment

• eelco74
                        • Dec 2002

The RB-990 and RB-991 both got quite a few design features from the Michi RHB-10. The RB-990 was a major step forward from the RB-890. I believe that apart from a few internal components, the basic layout has not changed.

If you compare the inside of the RB-981 and the RB-1070, the amp is 99% the same. Tried the 1070 as a replacement, but descided to spend the money elsewehere.
                        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• sprout
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by eelco74
                          The RB-990 and RB-991 both got quite a few design features from the Michi RHB-10. The RB-990 was a major step forward from the RB-890. I believe that apart from a few internal components, the basic layout has not changed.

If you compare the inside of the RB-981 and the RB-1070, the amp is 99% the same. Tried the 1070 as a replacement, but descided to spend the money elsewehere.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :T
                          I suppose it is a case of why try to re-invent the wheel.

If anyone else knows of a review of the RC-990BX I would appreciate a link/info

I have hifi mags going back to 1990 but cannot find mention of it in any :E

Thanks
                          sprout

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"