X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanser
    • May 2002

Rotel RB 980 / 990

Hi,

I tried a search, but it did not accept the keywords RB 990 or 980. So I ask this way: How much have the Rotel amps improved over the years? I am thinking about buying a used 980 or 990 stereo amp on ebay. With which current amp could they be compared soundwise? If I get a 990 for the same money I would pay for new 1050, how would those two compare?

Thanks a lot,

Hartwig
  • Robert
    • Jan 2004

Rb 981

You can find a number of reviews for older Rotel gear at the audioreview.com site. I owned a Rotel RB985 MK II amp which shares the construction of newer Rotel amps. I now own a combination of RB981 and RB980BX amps and I am very satisfied. Of course, comparing stereo amps to a multi-channel amp is not entirely fair and that is not what you're asking.

The newer amps offer a more robust construction and a modern look (i.e., heat sink fins). The up-to-date amps also offer a detachable power cord option and a 12v trigger. Further, the newer amps don't run quite as warm as the older style Rotel amps, but most people would not recommend stacking your equipment anyway.

Of course, the big question is quality of sound. I never auditioned a RB 1070 or RB 1080 so I can't give you a direct answer on this issue. I can only say that I am content with my current amps.

Comment

• gp4Jesus
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Robert
      You can find a number of reviews for older Rotel gear at the audioreview.com site. I owned a Rotel RB985 MK II amp which shares the construction of newer Rotel amps. I now own a combination of RB981 and RB980BX amps and I am very satisfied. Of course, comparing stereo amps to a multi-channel amp is not entirely fair and that is not what you're asking.

The newer amps offer a more robust construction and a modern look (i.e., heat sink fins). The up-to-date amps also offer a detachable power cord option and a 12v trigger. Further, the newer amps don't run quite as warm as the older style Rotel amps, but most people would not recommend stacking your equipment anyway.

Of course, the big question is quality of sound. I never auditioned a RB 1070 or RB 1080 so I can't give you a direct answer on this issue. I can only say that I am content with my current amps.
      I realize this is an old thread, but...

What's your take - comparing the SQ of the 980BX to the 981. I know their VERY similar. I'd like to buy several of one or the other for upgrades. Long story for another post.

THanks in advance, Tony
      Samsung 60" LED
      Outlaw Audio 976
      Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
      Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
      LR: RTi A7 Triamped
      M & T: Rotel RB-981
      Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
      SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
      Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
      Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"