X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DSGCobra
    • Feb 2003

1098 TFT Questons

Finally upgraded from the 985. Anyway what are you guys using the TFT for, most of the time mine sits with nothing displayed on it. I can't figure out why I would want to have it displaying whats on TV, and it won't display DVD 480p pictures. It kind of looks like crap with nothing displayed on it due to the back lightning always being on. Most of the time I have the system status menu displayed just so it's not blank. What are you guys doing with yours?? I almost wish their was some sort of default Rotel icon that was displayed when the menu was not in use.

One more question is their any kind of break-in time where I can expect the sound to get better? The sound quality did not impress me as much as I thought it would have, compaired to my ancient 985.
    Thanks for any help
    Jeff.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Jeff,

I am utilizing a projector, so the TFT screen saves me from turning it on, and I can configure the 1098 without the projector. In reference to what I have on the screen, I usually run DirectTV music channels and run the animation. Some others run DVD-A and can select from the TFT screen. I have also run a DVD movie and left the initial screen running while playing another source.

Breakin, is a different story, I ran my 1098 for 3 days straight, before breakin began, however after approximately a month of operation, it has impeccable sound. If you have already calibrated your speakers with the spl meter and test tones, then you will just need a little patience and continual tweaking, in accordance with your individual taste.

Your mileage may vary,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I almost always power my screen off as soon as I power up the system.

Comment

• DSGCobra
        • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
        I almost always power my screen off as soon as I power up the system.
        Does this mean that the back lightning is no longer on? The glow from the screen with the display set to "off" is rather bright in a dark room, is their a way to turn it completely off, and keep it that way after sending another signal to the processer?

Also how are you getting a DVD to play on the TFT? In 480p (normal DVD format from what I thought, please tell me if I'm wrong) the TFT is useless, it displays a scrambled mess.

THanks for your replies
        Jeff.

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I use the tft for DVD-Audio menu and I have two cd carousels that display composite video so I can see the library (I was obviously using my hdtv screen prior to getting my 1098).

I have gotten through the break-in period; I will say the 1098 sounded very nice out the box but since I've tweaked it a bit and played it more, it continues to sound better.
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Does this mean that the back lightning is no longer on? The glow from the screen with the display set to "off" is rather bright in a dark room, is their a way to turn it completely off, and keep it that way after sending another signal to the processer?
            Also how are you getting a DVD to play on the TFT? In 480p (normal DVD format from what I thought, please tell me if I'm wrong) the TFT is useless, it displays a scrambled mess.
            To power off the screen simply press and hold the menu button either on the remote or on the front of the 1098. It will still power back on if you have the display options set to screen or screen + monitor but it will turn off again after a few seconds.

To view the DVD you need to connect a composite cable to the DVD input and then when viewing progressive images from the DVD player there's a menu setting to allow the TFT screen to view progressive (it will unscramble it for you)

Comment

• skipm
              • Jun 2003

I usually keep the TFT set on Source when watching regular TV. I don't find it distracting and if I want to preview another channel or do a quick and dirty change to my speaker settings I do it from there. I turn it off when doing some critical viewing such as a DVD or a movie in HD. I leave it on when playing DVD-Audio discs and leave my plasma off so as to not have any static images leave a lasting impression.

And the most important reason for getting the 1098 with the TFT screen .... so my dog can watch TV during the day while I'm at work. My 1098 is near the floor so it is at the perfect height for Hana, our cocker spaniel. She loves Animal Planet.

-Skip

Comment

• DSGCobra
                • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                To power off the screen simply press and hold the menu button either on the remote or on the front of the 1098. It will still power back on if you have the display options set to screen or screen + monitor but it will turn off again after a few seconds.

To view the DVD you need to connect a composite cable to the DVD input and then when viewing progressive images from the DVD player there's a menu setting to allow the TFT screen to view progressive (it will unscramble it for you)
                I did just figure out that holding the menu button will turn the display off, even after reading the manual 4 times I must have missed this. I am still unable to display a DVD image on the TFT though. Under the display settings I have the progressive set to "yes". This should be all I need to do right?
                As for the sound qualitiy I was blown away last night with a viewing of Star Trek Nemisis, not even the best DVD but the sound was increadible.

Comment

• skipm
                  • Jun 2003

dsgcobra-

I'm sure you already know this but you need to have your DVD player connected to the 1098 via component and composite input, and, your DVD player needs to be capable of ouputting a video signal simultaneously to it's component and composite outputs. Not all do.

-Skip

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Right assuming you have a composite cable connected to the DVD input as well as the component maybe try unplugging the component cables from the DVD player and see if that helps...

Comment

• DSGCobra
                      • Feb 2003

I have the 1080 DVD player. It doesn't appear that it puts out both composite and component at the same time? Or maybe I just can't figure this out.

Comment

• skipm
                        • Jun 2003

dsgcobra-

I don't have this unit but I did take a look at it's manual on the Rotel website and I didn't really see anything out of the ordinary concerning this guy's function. The only thing I can think of is maybe that when you have it set to progressive mode (480p), it can't output an interlaced signal (480i) at the same time. One way to check this is to put the player in interlaced mode by pressing the PROG SCAN button on the remote until the PROG SCAN light on the front of the player goes out. Then see if you get anything to display on the TFT.

-Skip

Comment

• DSGCobra
                          • Feb 2003

I am unable to try this now, due to being at work but I bet you are correct. Now the picture quality on the TV should be better with the progressive mode on right? I was playing with this this morning and couldn't see the difference between progressive and non-progessive. Is this because the 1098 upconvertes the signal before it goes to the TV. So if this is the case then having the DVD player in PRO SCAN mode would not make any difference, right??

Thanks for answering all of my questions, I'm sure I will have more.
                          Jeff.

RSP-1098
                          RMB-1095
                          RDV-1080
                          Energy C-9
                          Energy Vertias V2.0C
                          Energy C-3
                          Paradigm PS-1200
                          Audioquest everything.

Comment

• DSGCobra
                            • Feb 2003

I am unable to try this now, due to being at work but I bet you are correct. Now the picture quality on the TV should be better with the progressive mode on right? I was playing with this this morning and couldn't see the difference between progressive and non-progessive. Is this because the 1098 upconvertes the signal before it goes to the TV. So if this is the case then having the DVD player in PRO SCAN mode would not make any difference, right??

Thanks for answering all of my questions, I'm sure I will have more.
                            Jeff.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Now the picture quality on the TV should be better with the progressive mode on right?
                              Yes.

I was playing with this this morning and couldn't see the difference between progressive and non-progessive.
                              Are you sure it was in progressive mode? There's sometimes another setting in the menu to toggle to really engage progressive scan. You should be able to change the display on the TV into a progressive mode which ought to tell you which mode its receiving...at least the toshiba widescreen TV was that I was playing with the other weekend.

Is this because the 1098 upconvertes the signal before it goes to the TV. So if this is the case then having the DVD player in PRO SCAN mode would not make any difference, right??
                              No the 1098 only upconverts composite and s-video into component...that has nothing to do with progressive vs interlaced images. If you'd like I can link you to a good explination on what exactly progressive scan is if it would help?

Comment

• skipm
                                • Jun 2003

dsgcobra-

As far as which looks better, progressive or interlaced, let your own eye be the judge. I don't know which TV you have but it's a matter of which device has the better de-interlacer, your DVD player or your TV. Play a DVD that you are intimately familiar with and use the button on your DVD player's remote to switch between interlaced and progressive mode. Pick the one that looks the best to you. If you are not happy with either, then there is only one thing to do ..... UPGRADE!!!!!!!

-Skip

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                  • Feb 2003

Skipm and Andrew Pratt thanks for the replies, I have another question regarding setup:

I have a Samsung DLP RP TV it has the following: 2 HD Component Video Inputs and 1 DVD 480i/480P auto sensing Component Video Input. As of now I am using the auto sensing component video input. I am running my DVD, HD cable box, and HD X-box to the 1098 and then running the component out to the auto sensing video input on the TV. Should I be using this input or should I use one of the "normal" HD component video in's? Or does this even matter? I guess my ultimate goal is to be able to turn the TFT display on and leave it in source mode. I

In reading the manual again it states that 480p will not be able to be displayed on the TFT. Am I reading this wrong? So does that mean that 480i can be displayed? I have run this all by my dealer and due to the fact that every 1098 sells before they can get a demo set up, they have no answers for me.

Jeff.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

The TFT display should do progressive so long as you enable that setting in the menu on the Rotel

Comment

• skipm
                                      • Jun 2003

Jeff-

According to the Samsung website, your TV has 1 - DVI port, 2 - HDTV ports that support 1080i/720p/480p, and 1- DVD port that supports 480i/480P. Your 1098 is connected to the Samsung via the DVD port. This is exactly how you want it and I'll tell you why. Your Samsung DLP has the Faroudja DCDi chipset. You want this guy to do as much of the work as he can. It's the best de-interlacer/scaler chipset in the business. You need to set your DVD player to run in interlaced mode. That way your Samsung does the de-interlacing. Basically, whenever your TV receives an interlaced signal from your DVD player, xbox, cable box, the Faroudja will de-interlace and scale the signal. When your TV receives a 480p/720p/1080i signal, the Faroudja will scale it to fit your screen. Since your DVD player is now running in interlaced mode, you should also be able to see the output on the TFT. You should also see a big difference in DVD picture quality as well. You will probably need to re-adjust your video settings as well with Avia or VE to make the most of your set up.

Try it and let me know how it goes.

-Skip

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                        • Feb 2003

Skip, you are the man. Thank you for all your help. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Way to go skip:T Its members like you that make my job so much easier

Comment

• skipm
                                            • Jun 2003

Thanx Andrew, I appreciate that. Just trying to help out where I can. You have a great board here with a good group of folks. Heck, I'd hang out here even if I didn't own Rotel gear.

-Skip

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                              • Feb 2003

Skip, that did the job. TFT is up and running. After some video tweeking picture quality is better than ever. Again thanks for all the help.
                                              Jeff.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"