X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

List of 1098 problems or suggestions

Guys given the number of us that are using the 1098 now and reporting some bugs with it lets get a list of all the issues we've seen that you feel Rotel needs to look at. As always you'll be far more likely to get something addressed if you ask nicely so please keep that in mind when posting. Also the more detail you can provide the better.

Some of the issues I know of are the following

The 1098's internal test tones's LFE channel seems to be -10 dB to low compared to both Video Essentials and Avia Guide to Home Theatre.

The 1098's display needs to have a setting where it can be powered off and stay off until the user chooses to turn it back on. It could still power on to display an OSD event if it was set to display and monitor though.

The display also powers up when you make a volume change when you have it powered off and set to monitor only.

The font size for the volume is too small.

• Henk
    • Jun 2003

Not really bugs but nice to have items:

1. The ability to set fixed volume levels for speakers separately for each input. In other words, say rears at +3db for DVD video and -1db for CD.

2. The ability to set the display on the TFT independently for each input. Currently the display is fixed globally for all inputs.

3. The ability to dim the blue LED indicator on silver models. I find it annoyingly bright in a dark room (much brighter than the red LEd's on my black Rotel amps).

4. If the TFT screen is set to Off, there is no way to tell if the 1098 is in standy mode or switched on. The power LED displays the same colour. My H Kardon receiver had a nice LED feature: orange glow in standy, green when powered on. Same would be nice on the Rotel.

Two bugs, at least with my 1098:

1. With a satellite decoder connected to my 1098, the 1098 does not pick up the video signal if the satellite decoder is powered on first and the 1098 thereafter. Everything works fine if the decoder is off when the 1098 is powered on first and the decoder is powered on thereafter. (The decoder is connected to a S-video input on the 1098.)

This is annoying since my decoder is also connected to a TV in another room via RF cable and for that reason remains switched on. Accordingly, every time I power on the 1098 I must switch off the decoder, switch on the 1098 and then switch on the decoder again.

2. My 1098 becomes "confused" if I switch quickly between satellite channels. It picks up the changed channels on the decoder but only in monochrome. However, after waiting about two minutes the colour is back. I've tested my decoder by linking it directly to the TV - no problems. The problem occurs only when connecting the decoder to the 1098. I've also linked the decoder to different S-video inputs on the 1098, but the result is the same. Funny thing is that when the picture goes monochrome, the TFT screen still displays full colour.

Comment

• lcajiga
      • Aug 2003

Hi Andrew, I will add to the list the following:

1. Ability to control the input level per source. My Sattelite Dish sounds louder than my DVD for example.

2. Ability to control volume per effect. Analog inputs and Stereo sounds louder than DTS or Dolby ones

3. Video Bug. When the display is set to Progressive YES and output menus to both TV and TFT, there are some video flicks when watching HD signals from Dish decoders. Those interferences makes the TV switch from different video formats (1080i, 480p, 480i, etc.)

Regards,
      Luis

Regards,
      Luis

"It is not what you see and hear...it is how!"
      Regards,
      Luis

http://www.luiscajiga.com/HT.htm

Comment

• teekster
        • Jul 2003

I have noticed 2 problems:

1. Has anyone had trouble with the 12v triggers? I noticed my amps never turn off. A quick voltagcheck showed 12v no matter what state the 1098 is in.

2. More susceptible to dirty power - I started another thread on this.

Comment

• lcajiga
          • Aug 2003

Teekster, in the contrary for me, the 12v triggers works as advertised. If I put the 12v trigger off for a device and I switch to it, my both amplifiers will turn off. That reminds me of another issue. If I want to setup Zone 2 to NOT trigger, I placed the Zone 2 12v trigger to off but since the source (in this example the CD) needs to have to have the 12v trigger on, it turn on my amplifiers anyways, even if I only want to listen to Zone 2. If I switch the source (CD) 12v triggers to off, then it works as I want BUT when I want to listen to the CD in my main room, I need to setup the 12v trigger back to on. No good.

Regards,
          Luis

Regards,
          Luis

Regards,
          Luis

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Mine seem to work ok but then so far I only have two that are daisy chained together and simply go off and on with the 1098.

Teekster, in the contrary for me, the 12v triggers works as advertised. If I put the 12v trigger off for a device and I switch to it, my both amplifiers will turn off.
            I don't follow you on why this is bad? How do you have the two amps connected to the 1098?

That reminds me of another issue. If I want to setup Zone 2 to NOT trigger, I placed the Zone 2 12v trigger to off but since the source (in this example the CD) needs to have to have the 12v trigger on, it turn on my amplifiers anyways, even if I only want to listen to Zone 2. If I switch the source (CD) 12v triggers to off, then it works as I want BUT when I want to listen to the CD in my main room, I need to setup the 12v trigger back to on. No good.
            Hmm that's interesting....not sure how you'd work around that issue. Assuming you weren't using device specific triggers wouldn't the main zone amps power down with the 1098 but if Zone two were still on wouldn't it leave the second zone amp on until that zone was powered off on the 1098?

Comment

• xavierzx11
              • Aug 2003

Andrew,

One thing to add. I am going some "poping" while listening to Sat and DVD's.

Paul

"Everyone has to have a hobby!"
              "Everyone has to have a hobby!"

Comment

• BladeRnR
                • Sep 2003

I concur with Andrew's initial observations. Sithlord and I also put the 12V triggers on (1095 & 1050 for EX Channels) and they work as advertised.

Regards

Comment

• lcajiga
                  • Aug 2003

Dear Andrew, let me be more clear on my comments.

Firts at all, I like the 12v trigger setup and it works fine with my system. My only issue is with Zone 2 and let me be more specific:

I have the 1098 feeding two amplifiers: one 1095 (5 channels for the center, L&R Surrounds, L&R Back Surrounds) and one 1080 (2 channels for Left and Right). In order for those amplifiers to turn on from Standby, I need to setup the 12v trigger option in the 1098 to power on on each one of the devices (Video 1-5, cd, tuner, etc.). This setup is working VERY GOOD and as designed. NO PROBLEM for me.

The issue is if I want to turn on the 1098 Zone 2 without powering or triggering both of the amplieriers (1095 and 1080). I do have a third 40w separate amplifier for the Zone 2 speakers. That amplifier doens't have a 12v trigger (too old) so I setup the zone 2 12v trigger to OFF, since I don't want to turn on my main amps. Well, whenever I turn the 1098 in Zone 2 and access a device (video 1-5, cd, etc.) the 12v trigger turns on the main amplifiers also. I want the Zone 2 to override and do not turn on the 12v triggers. If I want to use a specific trigger for Zone 2, then turns that one only.

If I'm doing something wrong with the setup, please let me know.

Regards,
                  Luis

Regards,
                  Luis

Regards,
                  Luis

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

What happens if you set the zone two trigger to be on even though nothing is connected to it? I'm wondering if having it set to off is forcing it to trigger the main amps thinking those are what you must be using to power the second zone.

Comment

• lcajiga
                      • Aug 2003

Hi Andrew...did the test but do the same thing. When I access Zone 2, it turns on the main amps. If I go to the CD, for example, and set it up so that the 12v trigger is OFF for that device, then when I select Zone 2, doesn't trigger the 12v output...but if I want to hear the CD with the main amps in my main room, then I need to go to CD setup and make it to trigger the 12v outputs for the main amps. That is a bug in my opinion. Do a test and let me know please. It will make sens that I may select which 12v will trigger the Zone 2 independently and overriding the setup than when I power the system on.

Regrads,
                      Luis

Regards,
                      Luis

Regards,
                      Luis

Regards,
                      Luis

Comment

• Scarp
                        • Mar 2003

I would like to have all the functionality of the buttons that are unit itself to also be possible on the remote. So I would like to easily switch between video inputs (Display button) and to toggle between the sources (Path button). The other possibilities are addressed by the remote. They can just re-use some unused buttons of the remote.

Besides that, I would suggest that they put into the manual that you can toggle through digital inputs and the analog input of the current source through the "D-SLT" button on the remote.

After you turn off the display (through pressing OSD button for 3 seconds), the display should not come on again when changing volume or when switching inputs through the remote. All functions require the screen, so the screen could be turned on again (e.g. when changing inputs through the Path button on the unit, or when changing group delay, etc). Also the unit should remember whether I turned it off or on. A default on or off options would be fine too (as suggested by Andrew).

Not just the "Volume" font is too small, but also when changing temporary settings like group delay the font should be bigger. I guess the font is related to the OSD on your monitor output, but when thats off, the font can be optimized for the TFT in the unit.

I would like the new Dolby Prologic IIx to be added to the unit

Ow ya ... I want the ability to turn of Rotel XS. If its a 5.1 source, it should just use only 5.1 and not artificially try to create 7.1 (or take a license on Logic7 ). If I want it 7.1 I will force it to DTS-ES or DD-Ex and Rotel XS can kick in if it wants to.

Comment

• Scarp
                          • Mar 2003

A suggestion for improvement:
                          Try to maximize the use of the TFT screen and increase usability.
                          1) The path functionality can be greatly improved if instead of just showing the current source, it shows a list of all the sources, with the current one being highlighted. Then with the function knob you can scroll through the options. This way you can easily see whats available and where to turn the knob (it always takes me a few rounds before getting to the right source). The TFT screen probably has enough space for a list of a maximum of 8 or 9 entries and highlighting is possible, just look at the setup menu.

2) In addition to point 1, they can add an option for each source to tell the 1098 that you use it or not. If you say "disabled", then it doesn't show up in the "Path" list. In my case I only use 4 inputs (cd, video 1, video 2 and multi channel), but I am required to go through the other inputs when selecting my source. So, when I can turn off some of the inputs for being shown in these lists, source selection will greatly be improved.

3) Similary to point 1, you can also do the temporary center/sub/rear/group delay settings. So when pressing one of those buttons, don't just pop up one item, but put up the whole list of settings that can be done and when accessed from the remote you can scroll up and down through the options with the up/down keys on the remote. With left/right you change the values as always. The specific buttons (C, S, etc) provide direct access to their respective type. However once the menu is up you can modify others right away.
                          When accessing this from the unit itself ("speaker"), you can toggle through the options still by successive pressing the speaker button and change the values through the function button.

4) More or less the same as above for the "Tone" functionality.

I think the above would make the TFT more usefull (now everything is just a one-liner, so that could have just as easily been put onto a one line lcd or something) and improve usability.

Some other point on the TFT: I did not try, but is the status menu or the setup menu automatically removed from the TFT screen after some time? I can imagine someone accidently leaving it on for a while and then have it burned into the screen. If this is not in the unit, then it should! After 10 minutes or so of making no changes, it should remove any menu.

Comment

• Scarp
                            • Mar 2003

I looked at the dolby site today and saw that the "Cirrus CS49400" is listed as getting an update for Dolby Prologic IIx. So Rotel should add this too

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"