X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quantronics
    • Apr 2004

1098 Display shuts off permanently after holding down display button

I know there's been a lot of anticipation in getting the 1098 display to turn off and remain off when you silent the display. My system can do it! There's only one problem, I can't back track and replicate it each time. I typically leave my system on 24hrs. I also turn on my zone 2. I'm not sure if it's switching between modes and inputs or pressing the mute key or just leaving it w/o the OSD for over 24 hrs. After about a day or so, it totally works no matter what. I would have to hit the OSD button to get the display back from either the remote or on the 1098 itself. The good news is, when the display is silent, it's silent. You don't hear any switching, no volume display comes up on it. It is dark and quiet. I'll keep working on a key combo that I can replicate and pass it on to everyone.

Thanks,
    ET
  • Sithlord
    • Aug 2004

Display Issue

It's very interesting that people are bringing up this problem as it has just started with mine. The unit has worked flawlessly after the firmware update 2.12 (not the new one with the display option off) and now all of a sudden the screen will not come on after holding down the menu button to turn it off. The screen refuses to come back on even after pressing all relevent buttons and pressing buttons on the unit itself (Menu Button). Even turning it off and on (with remote and back of unit) will not initiate it. After trying over 10 times it finally comes on using the remote but if I turn it off we go through the whole process again. It's only started to get worse this weekend and it's very annoying. I'm not a big fan of the next firmware where you can turn it off permanatly (if that is what it will be), as I like to see the volume display not just guess or remember what it was before. The clicking sound or the display coming on during volume changes is fine and only needs to be done a few times if your interrupted during your movie/music session. I now believe this to be a problem with the unit now as it has never done this before so I will be calling my Hi-Fi shop tomorrow but wont accept repair as yet with Starwars just around the corner. Great timing as usual but I don't think it's ever a good time for equipment to malfunction and I'm a little disappointed with the reliabilty of the 1098 mine in particular, but I know others are very happy with theirs so I will leave it at that. I will keep everyone posted if there is indeed an issue with the unit or with the 2.12 firmeware over a period of time. I have also noticed display break up if thats what you call it where after exciting the menu sometimes theres is a little graphic that is still on screen but if you display the menu again it goes away. This has happened quite a few times but it's not a big deal so I haven't bothered mentioning it. Is anyone else experiencing these kinds of issues with their 1098s?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I don't think its a problem with the firmware since I've been running that code for a long time now without any such issues...unless they changed something between the beta and public releases (which is possible)

Comment

• Locutus2k
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
        I don't think its a problem with the firmware since I've been running that code for a long time now without any such issues...unless they changed something between the beta and public releases (which is possible)

What??? Beta AND Public? Does this means that the new firmware is *actually* available for public download? Where can i find it (on the Rotel website they are stuck at 2.1.2)?
        Thx

Locutus2k

Comment

• Howie
          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Sithlord
          It's very interesting that people are bringing up this problem as it has just started with mine. The unit has worked flawlessly after the firmware update 2.12 (not the new one with the display option off) and now all of a sudden the screen will not come on after holding down the menu button to turn it off. The screen refuses to come back on even after pressing all relevent buttons and pressing buttons on the unit itself (Menu Button). Even turning it off and on (with remote and back of unit) will not initiate it. After trying over 10 times it finally comes on using the remote but if I turn it off we go through the whole process again. It's only started to get worse this weekend and it's very annoying. I'm not a big fan of the next firmware where you can turn it off permanatly (if that is what it will be), as I like to see the volume display not just guess or remember what it was before. The clicking sound or the display coming on during volume changes is fine and only needs to be done a few times if your interrupted during your movie/music session. I now believe this to be a problem with the unit now as it has never done this before so I will be calling my Hi-Fi shop tomorrow but wont accept repair as yet with Starwars just around the corner. Great timing as usual but I don't think it's ever a good time for equipment to malfunction and I'm a little disappointed with the reliabilty of the 1098 mine in particular, but I know others are very happy with theirs so I will leave it at that. I will keep everyone posted if there is indeed an issue with the unit or with the 2.12 firmeware over a period of time. I have also noticed display break up if thats what you call it where after exciting the menu sometimes theres is a little graphic that is still on screen but if you display the menu again it goes away. This has happened quite a few times but it's not a big deal so I haven't bothered mentioning it. Is anyone else experiencing these kinds of issues with their 1098s?
          Hey Sithlord, I'm having the exact symptoms you describe above with my 1098 - I cannot get the screen to come back on at all. I don't recall what firmware I'm running for sure, but I believe it is 2.12 (I don't think I ever installed 2.13). How did you resolve your situation? I guess I'll have to send mine in for service.
          Howie

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"