X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

RMB 1095 Review and Pics

My 1095 arrived today, it arrived in perfect condition, not a scratch on the box, finally Fedex did something right It didn't come with my cables I ordered, so I had to think quick, so I called up a source, got some Monster Cable THX Ultra 600 RCA's to hook up to my Pioneer Elite, and here it goes....

First off, this amp is AMAZING!!!!!!! The amount of detail, soundstage, clarity, depth, engulfingness (is that a word ), powerful sound this amp brings to my setup is pure heaven!!! I can't stop smiling, the moment I turned it on I could tell the difference, this thing puts me in the center of the action, it makes me feel like I am there, it's leaps and bounds over the sound I was getting from the Pioneer Elite alone. People say this thing gets better with more break in, I can't imagine it getting better, it's incredible right now. :E This is my first amp for my house, and let me tell you, I think I made an EXCELLENT choice with the 1095, I would recommend it to anyone on the fence about it, worth every penny and then some!!!!!

The sound is not harsh, overly bright, etc, it's absolutley PERFECT, it still has the brightness/clarity to the sound that I had before, but take that sound and put it on steriods and that's what I am experiencing! At first I didn't notice the hum/buzz, but when I switched to my cable TV source, just on the Elite, the cable box was off, I noticed the hum. I leaned in closer and heard it loud and clear, I first heard it at about a foot away. I will try the ground loop isolator and see what that does.

I only played a couple CD's, "Styx greatest hits" and "Something Corporate", and man, I can't get over how badass these CD's sound now. I thought they were good before, man they are life like now, just enormous sounding. I plan to watch Titan AE after this message to see what movie watching is like now

Another note about the 1095, it's F'ING GINORMOUS!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe how heavy this beast is, I saw the Fedex guy carrying it in, I told him he was nuts, but he said it wasn't that bad, and he is about half my size. I figured if he can man handle that box, me being 6'2", 235lbs could do it. I picked it up, and almost crapped myself, it was HEAVY!!! I carried it to my car, managed to cram it in the back seat, and almost passed out I guess lifting this crap for a living like the Fedex dude does really makes you stronger than you look What I did find as a PLEASANT suprise was that the amp seems to have some type of roller under it, so when I pushed it in my rack it just rolled right back, VERY VERY COOL in my books!!

Well, I had this WHOLE ENTIRE message typed out before this one, and I hit the back button on accident on my mouse, so I had to retype it best I could I will post follow up reviews as I break it in. But here's some pics for you too, sorry for the long post, I'm a tad bit excited about the amp

Last edited by Orange Peel; 25 November 2004, 11:09 Thursday.
    Scott Goldsmith
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Congats, enjoy :T
    Bing

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Well Scott, you've completely sold me on it... As soon as I get my refund, I'll be looking into getting this guy (or maybe two of them)!

I'm jealous, that's the only word for it! ha ha. Glad you enjoy it, and I'm extremely happy it's made such a difference (already) in what you are hearing!

lol I need a hook up! ha ha

btw, nice setup, I love the way the Klipsch look!

Did you calibrate it, or did you just throw the amp on and enjoy? Is it running all five speakers for the HT, or did you by chance try bi-amping the mains like Bing?
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Very nice Scott, congratulations.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Scott

Word of warning! Your taking pictures of the wrong baby - at least when your wife is looking.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Congrats on them both..

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Very nice:T

Comment

• H.Donald
              • Aug 2004

Congrats,my 1095 is about a month old now.It really does sound better than when I first switched from the 1075.At first I was a little disapointed,as it did not seem much of an improvement.But now after running it for several hours a day...whooooa.....especially at loud levels.There is no strain,just effortless bliss.
              As for the buzz/humm...mine does seem to have a little of both.When I am playing music or watching tv it is not noticeable.Only when I go looking for it do I hear it...about a foot away from the speaker.Which I believe is acceptable...all amps give off some buzz..even my Denon receiver upstairs emits a very low buzz.As for the hum you must again be inches from the amp.I am still playing around with cables,power cords,Monster 5100 ect...but if nothing improves or gets worse...I'm still a happy guy.

Comment

• H.Donald
                • Aug 2004

BTW...nice room.

Comment

• Orange Peel
                  • Nov 2004

Bing - Thanks dude, I'm SO enjoying it

Pewter - I'm telling you man, this amp is worth it, I can't imagine going back to a receiver now, the effortless performance of this amp is oustanding! You WON'T be sorry you spent the extra money on this. I want to pick up the 1080 now for 2 channel listening I didn't recalibrate it yet, it was too late lastnight to really do much besides listen to the music for a little bit. I'm going to calibrate it today. I run all 5 channels off it, no biamping, my Klipsch would probably explode with more power 200w to them is plenty

Azeke - Thanks bud!

aarsoe - haha, I took pics of them first, then went to the gear I know what I'm doing, hahaha

Andrew - Thanks dude!

H - Thanks for the reassurance on the break in, I will see what I think when I get more hours on it, if it gets better, bonus for me since I think it sounds perfect right now I will mess around like you to see if I can decrease the buzz, if not, oh well, I don't care, it's awesome already!! Thanks for the compliments!

P.S. I added a rack shot, I forgot it lastnight when I uploaded
                  Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

P.S. I added a rack shot, I forgot it lastnight when I uploaded
                    Don't let the prudes on HTF hear you say that

Comment

• DrJRapp
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Apr 2003

Congratulations !!!

Ok, now that you heard it arn't you glad nobody could sway you with the Carver hype? (over at the K forum)

Yes, it will get better and better! Now you will hear how good the the RF/RC 7s really are.

OBTW, For best sound and most enveloping surround, I run my RFs as large and my RC & RSs as small and cross over the center at 80hz and the surrounds at 100hz to my PB2+. Many run the mains as small also, but with lots of power the RFs have such a wonderful bottom end I let them do the work rather than my sub. You may also want to try "toeing" the RFs a little more towards the sweet spot.

Your buzz may be creeping in with your interconnects, try a double shielded balanced type design. The buzz is actually very low but with any speaker with an efficiency rating over 100 like the 7s, even the most minute anomolie becomes audible.

Happy Turkey
                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                        • Nov 2004

Andrew - HAHA, some people

Jerry - Thanks man, you were right, no way would I want anything warmer, etc, I LOVE this combo right now!!!! I run all my speakers LARGE right now, I may switch the rears (RF-5's) to small and see what that does, but right now, man, they all shine!!! I may try the toe in with the mains, I just don't want them to be too "directional", they may not be, but we'll see

As for the interconnects, they are two-way bandwith balanced, balanced conductors, PEX Dielectric insulation, 100% foil braided shielding, MicroFiber Dielectric Insulation, etc. I was just reading off the box specs What would you recommend? These seem to work well, I do need to "clean" up the back of the rack as far as the wires go, they are kind of scattered right now, and I may be crossing over a digital coax cable or something.

I will work on this little project and see where it takes me Yipee! haha

Happy Thanksgiving to you all too!!!
                        Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• mitch57
                          • Nov 2004

Congradulations! Glad you like your new amp! Nice Rack!!! As far as the buzz is concerned, I have the same buzz/hum that H.Donald has. I have disconnected the cable from the wall and the coax from my receiver but the hum/buzz is still there.

But like H.Donald said, I have to put my ear right up to the speakers to hear it. So I don't think I am going to worry about it anymore unless it gets noticable from the listening area.
                          Mitch
                          :stupidpc:

Comment

• Orange Peel
                            • Nov 2004

Mitch - Thanks dude, I appreciate the compliments! I can hear the buzz a little more now that I know it's there, I can hear it from the rears in my system from my chair, so I may have to tackle this project sooner than I wanted. I will start by cleaning up the cables in the back, then ground loop isolator, etc, etc.

I watched a couple movies so far, and man, what detail this amp brings to the movie, you can hear EVERYTHING that was meant to be heard!! I watched "Club Dread" lastnight, about -7 under reference, and the parts where there are LOUD screams all of a sudden REALLY jump out and freak the crap out of you It's awesome, I love my system more than I ever have, now it's time to step up to the RSP 1098 and see what this stuff can really do hehe
                            Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• egaither
                              • Apr 2004

Orange Peel —I have a very similar setup and let me tell you once you hook up the 1098 you will be spoiled. I purchased my 1095 first as well and my salesperson finally convinced me to try the 1098. Mine is out for service right now, so I am using a yamaha RX v1400—there is no comparison. The Reference speakers sound infinitely better with the 1098.

Congrats on your purchase. The great thing about the 1095 is while it is overkill for Klipsch speakers, should you ever choose to go with new speakers that require more juice, you are all set.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                • Aug 2004

overkill...hmmmm

Comment

• egaither
                                  • Apr 2004

By overkill I mean unusable for anything other than better control...trust I love to crank it up. I've got a 1090 and 1095, so I have no room to talk :twisted:

Comment

• H.Donald
                                    • Aug 2004

Overkill,the only way to fly... 8)

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Orange Peel
                                      It's awesome, I love my system more than I ever have, now it's time to step up to the RSP 1098 and see what this stuff can really do hehe
                                      Hang on to your hat. The 1098 brought more improvement to my system than any other upgrade I have EVER done. DD+PLIIx is truely a beautiful thing to experience.

While I am not too familiar with the sound of your receiver, I do have a handle on what you seem to like. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out, our tastes are very much alike (just look at the similarities in our systems...lol). The 1098 is for lack of a better term "sharp" but not bright with the 7 series. My previous Denon receiver and even my Rotel RSP 1066 couldn't come close in terms of clarity. And wait till you hear the dialog.....Suround steering in the 1098 is nothing short of superb. As you know I've always been fond of my Rotel gear, but it was the 1098 that really made me a Rotel advocate.

Toeing the RF7s should not make them more directional, but it will improve clarity and may even reduce 1st order room reveberations somewhat. If you visit Dolby labs site you will see that the current way they recommend front placement is not a straight line, but the curve of an arc across the front with the spring point being the prime listening position or "sweet spot" if you prefer to use that term. I achieve this by placing my RF7s slightly ahead of the RC7 and toeing them in a bit. This keeps the distance from all front speakers to the sweet spot equal and assures the best time alignment, without having to resort to electronic delays to adjust it.

I'm all packed up ready to leave in the early AM for 7 glorious days at sea and away from work and kids. I'll be back on here again after next week.

C YA
                                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                        • Oct 2004

Yes, Rotel and Klipsch are a STUNNING Combo

I know what you are saying! I have the Klipsch RF-7 and
                                        Rotel RB-1090 and it's absolutely STUNNING! I love the
                                        sound, this combo is way beyond what I ever thought I
                                        could get! I am so happy with my purchase too but I did
                                        get a lot of advice to go with Rotel from the Klipsch
                                        forum. So very glad that I need. I'm completely
                                        satisfied!!!

System:

Rotel RB-1090
                                        Rotel RC-1090
                                        Rotel RCD-1072
                                        Rotel RT-1080
                                        4-Klipsch RF-7

Comment

• Orange Peel
                                          • Nov 2004

Jerry - Man, I REALLY don't need to hear that kind of info right now I can't afford that 1098 as I type, and hearing how awesome it will make the system really makes me want it BAD! I love how things are now, and it will only get better!! Have fun on that cruise, you suck by the way! :P I have never been on one, and I DO plan to some day

Kevin - It's like Klipsch and Rotel were made for each other, I love the couple and can't imagine it being any better! I can't wait to hear everything with a good processor like the 1098! Igot mixed reviews at the Klipsch forum on this purchase, only a few recommended the Rotel, A LOT told me to go for the Sunfire, but in the end, I made up my own mind and haven't regretted it yet!!
                                          Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• soldonandy
                                            • Mar 2005

Scott,

My wife walked by when I was looking at your equipment picture and she wanted to know if your wife was nursing?

Good luck with your 1095, I just upgraded my 1075 to an Anthem MCA 50 and was real close to getting the 1095 but I am concerned about the buzzing. I have had several Rotel Amps and they all have had buzzing/popping issues. Also, if you haven't bought the pre-amp yet, you may want to look at the Anthem AVM 20 or 30, both nice pieces.

Comment

• mjb
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by soldonandy
                                              Scott,

My wife walked by when I was looking at your equipment picture and she wanted to know if your wife was nursing?

Heh heh, I thought the same thing!

Enjoy your 1095, and congratulations - its great to be so enthusiatic about your gear!
                                              - Mike

Main System:
                                              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"