X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outlander
    • Mar 2005

RB-985MKII, over driving?

Hello,
    I picked up a used RB-985MKII a few weeks ago. I really like the amp, it’s a big improvement over my Yamaha HTR-5250 receiver. What I’m doing now is using the pre-outs of the receiver to dive the 985. I’ve always used the rule of thumb with a receiver that you never turn the volume up past the 12 o’clock position to avoid clipping. I was wondering if the same rule applies to the pre-amp volume control driving a separate amp? The input sensitivity of the amp is 1.0V the pre-out output level of the Yamaha is 2.1V. Does that mean I should be even more conservative when increasing the volume level? I’ve only pushed it to ~11 o’clock and it still sounded OK but as you know a little clipping (maybe less that you can hear) can go a long way.

Thank!
    O
  • DJDREW
    • Dec 2004

You should be able to see and hear when your speakers have had enough volume. You should also try using a DB meter to get an idea of how loud you are listening to you system

What size are your speakers and what is their rated handling power?
    Rotel For Life :T

Comment

• outlander
      • Mar 2005

DJDREW,
      I’m using full size Polk Monitor 10B’s for my mains, I’m not sure of the power rating but I know they recommend amps up to 250W for this speaker. What do mean when you say I should be able to see when the speakers have had enough volume?
      Thanks!
      O

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You'll hear the drivers on those polks starting to distort long before you'll do any damage to the amps or receiver...and it'll liekly be very loud when you're getting near that point

Comment

• DJDREW
          • Dec 2004

Know Your System's Limits

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
          You'll hear the drivers on those polks starting to distort long before you'll do any damage to the amps or receiver...and it'll liekly be very loud when you're getting near that point

Exactly Pratt!!

Most people are worried about blowing amplifiers and speakers but as long as you have decent equipment(ROTEL) and the power rating on your amplifier and speaker are close you will be fine. :T

"KNOW YOUR SYSTEM'S LIMITS" This is most important.

I find allot of people have no idea what the limits are of their system. I listen to friends systems where it would start to distort and they would feel that it is sounding great, and I am holding my ears LOL. Some people even feel like when it distorts it is performing at its best LOL. "This is scary to me 8O LOL"
          Rotel For Life :T

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"