X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

What did I do to my 1068?

I have been zapped many times this winter.My basement being very dry and my leather seating has been a deadly combo.I have mainly used my remote or discharged elsewhere before touching my units.The other night I got up to put a cd in and accidently hit my Rsp 1068...and zapp!It shut off,I had to unplug it to get it to come back on.Afterwards every thing appeared to be working fine.But now I seem to notice the slightest bit of tinness to the sound.Cds that were sounded full and robust...there is a touch of shrill.Most people would not notice it ...but I believe it to be there.The sound is different to my ears.I'm wondering could I nave fried something that would make just the slightest difference in the sound?I love this machine and would simply purchase another or a 1098...no, this is not just an excuse to upgrade.
    I could not go thru the "send it out to be looked" phase...therefore I would purchase new,send it out to be looked at,then sell.Any thoughts??
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Something in the processing side of things is more prone to corruption than is a component taking a value changing hit. Static is quite high voltage with no current capability. You may want to try a factory default reset, then put you're settings/ values back in and see if this helps.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Agreed I'd unplug it then plug it back in and do a factory reset. You might also consider installing a grounding cable from the unit to a good earth near by so it doesn't get zapped in the future.

Comment

• Fraise
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
        Agreed I'd unplug it then plug it back in and do a factory reset. You might also consider installing a grounding cable from the unit to a good earth near by so it doesn't get zapped in the future.
        but isnt the unit already grounded by the ground pin on the plug? i would recommend getting a humidifier for your room/house to try and keep the RH up a little and control the static.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

I'm pretty sure only a select few of Rotel's product's have a ground plug.. I'm thinking my 1098 doesn't..

Kevin D.

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

Gentlemen,thank you for your suggestions.Today I got around to doing it.I believe it sounds more like it should...tonight I will give it a good workout.By the way...I almost sure that the 1095 is the only one of my Rotel products that has a ground pin.Perphaps I will just ground the 1068 to the 1095.
            thanks

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

Actually the fact that the chasis is grounded is what atracts the discharge. Fraise is correct in supression is the best way to address it. Our bodies are like caps, we generate and store charges by socks on carpet, etc...and the first sign of potential difference, we discharge, normally to grounded items.

Comment

• VinceS
                • Jan 2005

I used the humidifier and "Downy" method described in this thread:

It cut down the static by >95%. :T

Comment

• H.Donald
                  • Aug 2004

Thanks,I'll be doing the "downy" today.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"