X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MICHAEL STRO
    • Oct 2003

Help My New 1068 Got Zapped

my friends 1068 which is only a couple of weeks old,got zapped. he said he went to turn it on and zapped it with a static charge from his finger,now nothing is working correctly. is there a reset on the pre pro or does he have to reload the software.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unplug it and toggle the power switch on the back and see if that makes it come back to life.

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
      • Oct 2003

no we tried unpluging it a couple of times unit is still eratic

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

Hmmm. Twice, while at work, the electricity has gone off at my place. I know this because the clocks in the house are blinking. My 1068 is usually in stand-by mode. But when the elec. goes out, the stand-by light is not on. I cannot power the unit up with the remote or the power button on the 1068. Even toggling the power button on the rear of the unit does no good. However, when I unplug it from the power center and plug it back in, it works.
        After it's all powered back up, the settings are just fine. My last receiver (Sony ES) took enough static through the antenna to totally render it useless. The lightning that hit the tree outside made sure of that. Even though the receiver was plugged into the monster power center, there was enough static in the air to travel down the antenna wire(antenna is in the attic) and zapp the receiver. I get alot of thunder storms around here. Sometimes it gets scary.

Comment

• VinceS
          • Jan 2005

This happened to my 1 week old 1068. I did come back on after toggling the rear power switch, but the memory was wiped out. The next day after several loud static like noises ( during the super bowl) the audio went dead and there was a burnt electronic smell from the thing. My dealer promptly had it replaced. Unfortunately the next unit only lasted about 1 week when it too had loud static noises and then the sound went out. I am now on my third unit, but I think I am going to trade it in for an Anthem. It seems that Rotel is certainly having too many quality control issues for my liking.

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

Sounds like a power supply issue rather than the Rotels.

Comment

• VinceS
              • Jan 2005

Seems lik a lot of people on this forum must be having power supply problems then. My theater is set up with two dedicated 20 amp lines and the 1068 was routed through a Panamax 5100, so I realy doubt that the power supply was my problem. Also the video and multi inputs portion of both units where still working. My dealer felt that it was somewhere in the digital processor and is trying to get more info from Rotel.

Comment

• benny
                • Jan 2005

This is at least the third post (including my own) regarding static "zapping" in the last month. It is obviously a Rotel problem and it is absolutely ridiculous that this many people are having the same problem with their stuff. I would demand a refund or exchange. The problem will only get worse.

Comment

• H.Donald
                  • Aug 2004

My 1068 has zapped out twice this winter...once losing the settings.Fortunatly, after unplugging everything was ok.As was explained to me the combo of dry air in my basement and my new leather seats = lotsa static.I don't see how we can blame Rotel for that.

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

My dog is pissed off too!

Why won't Rotel admit to their creation of this so called "static electricity"!!!

My dog won't even come near me this winter!! MY 1098 has to go!

Kevin D.

Comment

• MICHAEL STRO
                      • Oct 2003

well heres a update on my friends 1068, it did come back on everything is working fine now. after a few toggles of the switch and a couple of unplugs. he also has his ht in the basement. I wonder if you installed a grounded piece of metal near the ht setup and touched that first then touch your ht stuff.or maybe install a humidifier in the basement .

Comment

• Legairre
                        • Jan 2002

Rotel usually ownes up to problems so they'll probably look into the static problem, (if they're not already from reading the forum). I had my RSP-1066 pre amp for 2 1/2 yrs and it never had this problem and my new Sherwood P-965 pre amp doesn't either. The P-965 has been static shocked a few times, but it didn't seem to effect it. Hang in there Rotel will step to the plate.
                        "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• benny
                          • Jan 2005

I was told that touching the metal case first (or rack, etc.) will eliminate the chance of shocking your gear.
                          KEVIN D- What a funny guy you are! You should be proud!

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                            • May 2004

To those that have their units "lock up" and can not turn the unit on out of standby until you cycle the power, that is a software issue that has been corrected with the latest software release. Not sure what to tell you guys about the static. I guess if you walk across you living room and touch your door knob and get shocked then it is Rotels fault and they should do something about it. Hey, I got shocked from my truck when I got out to go to work. Damn Rotel!!!!

G.

:grab:

Comment

• VinceS
                              • Jan 2005

I don't think that any of us who have experienced the static shock issue are "blaming" Rotel for the static electricity. I have taken measures to reduce it in my basement with a humidifier and treating the carpeting. I am, however concerned with the way the Rotel reacted to the shock with the thing locking up and losing its memory. I am also concerned that my first and second 1068s had loud static noises prior to being disabled--the first one damn near melting down. I don't know if this was at all related to the "static electricity" in the room that I was experiencing. I do know though that I am not happy being on my third 1068 in as many weeks!! :M

Comment

• rhoffman000
                                • Sep 2004

Vince, you should check and make sure there isn't a short via your speaker wires. The installer for my parents blew up two Arcam receivers before he decided to check if there was a short (which there was). Especially since your second unit also seemed to have a melt down.....

Comment

• StaleKid
                                  • Mar 2005

Just a note on ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge). A shock or charge to be felt will be at least 3000V, to be heard 5000V and if you actually see the spark jump from your finger it will be a minimum of 10,000V. Bright sparks = very bad. Pick up the Intel chip running your computer and shock the wrong pin with as little as 100V and you can destroy it. So if you notice it is static-y when you are near your equipment try and ground yourself first before touching any of your components. The cases should shunt charges like that to ground, but some have better engineered natural shielding than others. Lessons learned from working for computer manufacturers.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                    • Jan 2003

Static builds up when there is a lack of moisture in the air. Homes sealed up for winter are a perfect conductor for static. Rotel equipment comes with a remote--use the remote rather than pushing a button or get a humidifier. Finally, stop crying about this "outrage.''

Comment

• H.Donald
                                      • Aug 2004

Toooo late...I have already sent my cat back to Rotel.It was simply zapped too many times this winter

Comment

• dermie999
                                        • Jul 2004

Love the humour in this thread its absolutely brilliant. It's good to be able to smile once in a while and not take life too seriously.

Trevor

Comment

• KEN KAZ
                                          • Oct 2004

esd

i did the same on my 1068. It reset and cleard all of the settings.

Rotel cannot be blamed for static

Rotel can be blamed for this design, however. This is a common occurance and the design of a processor that costs over 1,000 should encorporate static shielding or,have the buttons electically isolated from the processor.

This is their fault, they completely blew it.

Comment

• VinceS
                                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mark_C.
                                            Finally, stop crying about this "outrage.''
                                            I for one have stopped crying

Originally posted by H.Donald
                                            Toooo late...I have already sent my cat back to Rotel.It was simply zapped too many times this winter
                                            Your cat and my 1068

My AVM 30 will be in within the week :W

Now I have to decide whether I should bail on Rotel altogether and get the Anthem amps or stick it out with the 1095 and 1090

Comment

• Legairre
                                              • Jan 2002

Originally posted by VinceS
                                              My AVM 30 will be in within the week :W

Now I have to decide whether I should bail on Rotel altogether and get the Anthem amps or stick it out with the 1095 and 1090
                                              Hang in there with the Rotel amps. I have a RMB-1095 and an RB-1050 and there nothing in my system that I won't sell in order to upgrade to the latest greatest thing except my 1095 amp. I consider the 1095 the foundation of my system and after going front projection and all the other goodies the 1095 has been and still is my favorite piece of gear. Now when it comes to pre amps I've bailed on Rotel. I sold my RSP-1066 for a Sherwood P-965 and I just don't see myself going back to a Rotel pre amp, but I love their amplifiers :T .
                                              "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                                              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• VinceS
                                                • Jan 2005

At the moment I think Rotel has too many QC issues for my liking. Grant it, I haven't heard much about the amps relative to the processors.
                                                But I think I would be more comfortable in the long run getting out now since my dealer has offered to let me make a lateral change (1095 + 1090 for Anthem P2 and A5) at no cost difference and I think the Anthem amps are probably just as good, if not better. I would like to A/B them but he has to special order the Anthems. If I wait I would have to take a depreciation on the used gear.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                  • Aug 2004

Vince,good luck with your new unit...I hope it all works out for you.I'll still be getting zapped the rest of the winter,I suspect.I have been zapped by all my units...my Rotels,my Panasonic dvd recorder,my cable box...even my metal and slate coffee table.I would look like Don King but I am bald.

Comment

• alkalay
                                                    • Jun 2004

Hi all,

StaleKid said:
                                                    "So if you notice it is static-y when you are near your equipment try and ground yourself first before touching any of your components."

Would any one happen to know:
                                                    How would one groud himself without the joy of feeling it?

BTW, I get shoked easily, I mean the car, my ht system of course, a faucet, kissing the ones I love, touching others ops: , playground slides, anyway think you know what I'm talking about...

Itai.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"